The state of the Bills

Interesting article -

“Wide Right – How to Create a Mess in 4 Easy Steps”

By Tony Chimera

Before I get to the title of this article, give me a few sentences to express my feelings over the powers that be’s decision to bench JP and start Kelly Holcomb. I think JP has been dreadful. This might be one of the worse starts other than Ryan Leaf for any QB. What troubles me most is that he actually looks scared in the pocket. Our OL is horrible, but it isn’t like they’ve armed opposing defenses with machetes. Last week during the Saints game I supported benching JP. For a second….then I listened as the Saints ran roughshod over Holcomb.

This is not going to get better with a QB change. It could get worse for two reasons. Holcomb is immobile. He might die in the next few weeks. Secondly, we risk ruining JP more than letting him repeatedly fail out there. I think the brass needs to be realistic about this team and recognize that we have a losing team. Why not let JP spend the season learning and hope he gets better. Staying on the bench will not make him better. Switching starting QB’s on a weekly basis will not make him better. This smacks of desperation. That being said, if I was Moulds or Evans, I would be excited to have an opportunity to gain 70 yards in a game again.

Now, onto my subject of the article – how to ruin a team in four easy steps. Well we just covered step 1. Quarterback controversy. Polarize the team and fans. Remember Rob vs Doug. Here we go again and sadly neither QB deserves to start right now.

Step 2 – Ignore the offensive line. It is downright criminal the way TD has ignored our line. Did anyone actually think we’d be that good? In their defense, we have some road graders that can run block, but our pass blocking is horrific. Mike Gandy was cut by a worse team than the Bills. Mike Williams has been a bust and is a huge cap hit. Trey Teague is serviceable but gone soon. Our guards are decent but aging. We need to commit to upgrade this area not through the draft but with some free agent money.

Step 3 – Draft poorly at the bottom – Think of the past few years and the bottom of our draft. Do we have anyone starting from rounds 4-7? The Pats do. They have made an art of picking up solid players at the bottom of the draft. TD drafts good special teams players and that is about it. Tim Anderson and Ryan Denney are examples of high picks that seem to be mediocre at best.

Step 4 – Get tired overnight – Our defense looks like they aged 5 years apiece this year. Maybe it is losing Pat Williams, maybe it is the scheme and maybe it is age. We seem to be porous and letting 170 yards a game on the run is a losing formula. If we don’t correct this, we could have to rebuild the Defense as well as the OL.

If this mess doesn’t turn around we face some tough decisions. We are not a young team. Sam Adams, Eric Moulds, London Fletcher, Jeff Posey, Troy Vincent, Lawyer Milloy are all getting in the twilight of their career. Nate Clements is a free agent after this year – do you think he is coming back to a rebuilding effort? My sincere hope is that the coaching staff relives last year and proves that we do have the talent, the scheme, and the brains to succeed.

The prediction for this week against the Dolphins? We’re desperate but the Dolphins D will win this game for them and Ronnie Brown is going to go wild. Dolphins 24, Bills 10.