Kelsay Feature Story

Wistrom hopes Kelsay will help out with foundation

BY KEN HAMBLETON / Lincoln Journal Star

Grant Wistrom may have a new recruit for his foundation that benefits children stricken with cancer.

The former Husker All-America football player is working to get former NU standout Chris Kelsay involved with the Grant Wistrom Foundation.

"I think Chris is exactly the kind of guy who can help us get done what we need to," Wistrom said Friday night at a banquet/auction at Memorial Stadium.

Wistrom's third annual banquet and golf tournament (today at Quarry Oaks Golf Course) raises money for Camp CoHoLo in Nebraska and the Circle of Friends program, which takes pediatric cancer patients from across the U.S. on various trips. The event drew more than 30 former Huskers, former coach Tom Osborne and a crowd of more than 200.

Wistrom, now with the Seattle Seahawks, has expanded his foundation every year and the addition of Kelsay, in his third year with the Buffalo Bills, would be another step.

"I want to look into starting my own foundation in a few years, but I would like to work with Grant for now," said Kelsay, a former all-state player from Auburn and a former Academic All-Big 12 honoree.

The two former Huskers have a lot in common, Wistrom said.

"You watch Chris play ball and you know there's the blue-collar, hard-working, hard-hitting guy that makes for a great player," Wistrom said. "As a person, I've known Chris since he was much younger and I played with his brother, Chad, at Nebraska. That's a great family."

Chris Kelsay, who has earned rave reviews from the Bills, has also become a fan favorite in the Buffalo area. He and his wife, Natalie, love the area and are looking forward to their first child being born in Buffalo this winter.

Buffalo papers have often cited how much he has contributed to the team.

"Buffalo is a lot like Lincoln," Kelsay said. "If you work hard, play hard and try to get better, people appreciate the effort. The Buffalo fans are serious about their football and they'll love you if you win and get really down if you lose."In his rookie year (2002), the Bills' second-round pick played sparingly and earned his way through his play on special teams.

Last year, as the Bills improved to the No. 2 defense in the NFL, Kelsay earned his way into the starting lineup and started the last 11 games.

"They put a lot on my shoulders, but they also told me it was my job to lose," he said.

Off the field, Kelsay is involved in a number of charities and motivational efforts for the Bills.

"I learned when I was here at Nebraska that it was time to give back when I had a chance," he said. "I'm lucky, because I enjoy speaking in public and I enjoy trying to balance my life.

"I've been given an opportunity to play football and make a good living. If I can help somebody, some kids who didn't have the opportunity to reach their goals, for reason of health or whatever, I believe I should. My family raised me that way."

Another former Husker defensive end, Jared Tomich, who played with the New Orleans Saints, said he expected Kelsay to be one of the better players to come out of Nebraska.

"You see what Grant (Wistrom) can do in a game and you can see how good Chris is now and how he is going in the same direction," Tomich said.

I totally agree with Kelsay's comparison of Buffalo fans to Lincoln fans. My in-laws live there and I've visited many times. I immediately noticed the similarities between the two communities. If you don't already have a college favorite team to pull for...Big Red is always a good option.