2017 NFL Draft and Offseason Acquisitions

BuffalooByrd

If the season ended today, the bills would be selecting #13 overall. What player do you want to see the bills to select? And what players are you most excited to see next year from this draft class?

In terms of positional need, I would rank Safety, Offensive Linemen, Wide Reciever, and Quarterback as highest priority but Whaley's philsophy is the draft the best player available. With that said, my thoughts are below on those particular positions:

Let's start with Quarterback, the most important position but probability less of a need for the bills considering what will be available in the draft and FA relative to the players on our roster.

I would like to see the Bills bench Tyrod Taylor and see what the team has in Cardale Jones. If Cardale can show promise in the next two games, the bills should not feel pressured to draft a quarterback in a draft class that is very weak at the position. In the offseason, the team can restructure Tyrod's contract to something more commesurate with his skill and sign a Veteran QB.

My Projected 2017 QB depth chart

Cardale Jones/Tyrod Taylor/Brian Hoyer

The Buffalo Bills have showed over the course of the 2016 season that they lack depth at just about every position but none more glaring than Wide Reciever. Considering what the Bills have invested at skill positions with Lesean McCoy, the Watkins trade, and Charles Clay, the best option moving forward is to sign unproven talent to reasonable contracts. Cordarrelle Paterson is a player who showed great promise with the Vikings during his rookie year but fell out of favor. He can move around the field as a reciever or running back, and contributes to special teams as a talented returner. Paterson is the type of player that the bills can sign on a cheap contract that can pay dividends if utilized properly with good coaching(?). As a draft prospect, the bills should look at selecting Curtis Samuel, (WR) Ohio State in the second round. He's a do it all, versatile WR that can line in at slot or in the backfield and contributes value on special teams. Again, given all the Bills have invested at skill positions, I would prefer they look for a low cost/high reward option in Free Agency as a solution to our WR issues.

At Tight End, I would love to see the Bills sign Vernon Davis, another player that can be signed to a reasonable contract and has great versality in recieving and blocking.

My Projected 2017 WR Depth Chart

Sammy Watkins/Cordarrelle Paterson/Justin Hunter/Marquise Goodwin

My Projected 2017 TE Depth Chart

Charles Clay/Vernon Davis/Nick O'Leary

Next, I want to discuss the Offensive Line but really both the offensive and defensive line as one unit. The Bills FO needs to take a long hard look at what kind of players they have and how can they make these players successful. I believe the Bills can win now by bolstering talent we have in the trenches much like the Dallas Cowboys, Seattle Seahawks, and Denver Broncos to some degree.

First step, the bills need to resign Cordy Glenn to a contract extension as they do not have a replacement and cannot afford to lose their best offensive lineman. In the draft, the bills should look at drafting Cam Robinson (RT), Alabama with their first round pick, or the best offensive lineman available. In FA, the Bills should pursue Lions (OG) Larry Watford to shore up the left side of the line. Increasing the talent on the offensive line will take the pressure off our quarterback, benefit our ground game, and help create a ball-control offense that can win games right now without dynamic quarterback play.

My Projected 2017 Starting OL

Cordy Glenn/Richie Igcognito/Eric Wood/Larry Watford(FA)/Cam Robinson(Rookie)

On the defensive line, the Bills certainly have talent and so I don't anticipate or recommend much changes to the players. A philospical change will net the greatest return in my opinion which can be accompished by moving to a more traditional 4-3 defense. With Ragland set to return for the 2017, I would let Zach Brown go in Free Agency and roll with Reggie Ragland/Preston Brown as the primary backers.

With Aaron Williams most likely retiring at the end of the season and Corey Graham beginning to show his age, the bills will certainly need to address the positon of Safety in the 2017 NFL draft. I propose the Bills take a look at Jabrill Peppers (S) Michigan. Peppers reminds me of a franchise player that the bills have lacked on the defensive side of the ball. A versatile player that can impact the game from all over the field and at different positions, think: Khalil Mack, Troy Palamalou, or JJ Watt. Jabrill Peppers may look like a luxury pick that the Bills can't afford with their first round selection, but if Cam Robinson isn't on the board I hope the Bill select Peppers, a dynamic player that will shore up the backend of this defense.

What player do you want to see the bills to select in the 2017 NFL Draft/ Sign in Free Agency?

Cliffs:

Draft Cam Robinson or Jabrill Peppers in 1st round

Bolster offensive/defensive lines in round 2-5

Sign a premium OG in Free Agency (Larry Wolford)

Pick up low cost FA's at WR/TE to shore up depth issues

Edited by BuffalooByrd