Draft Analysis

Brock

It was a joke because of a ROOKIE QB that couldn't stay on the field and had issues reading defenses when he was on there. When you have a QB corp that has issues with the basic playbook WTF are you supposed to do? Let me guess 'Get creative'? Sure if you have a QB that can mentally do that, we didnt'

And what is ur excuse for Hacketts playbook at Syracuse bc he ran the same couple plays there too with his favorite of course the shotgun draw over guard

What if Spikes has a bad year or has a good year and leaves?

Exactly my point. Did they really need to use a high third round pick on an insurance policy in case Spikes doesn't work out or leaves next year? Like I said I would have preferred they used that pick in a player that would provide more of an impact this year since as we've all heard they are all in

The Bills really liked Preston Brown listening to their PC after the pick. It was a bit of a head scratcher for us fans at the time but after listening to the PC and looking over the roster, it makes perfect sense.

First off, they had Brown rated as the best guy left on the board. Reason being was the fact that they feel he can man every single LB spot in this defense; he isn't just a MLB. He has prototypical size at 6'1" / 251 lbs to be a 43 LB. He has massive hands and long arms which is an added bonus.

STRENGTHS Outstanding size. Physical tackler. Steps downhilll and attacks the run with the proper shoulder. Good eyes and instincts. Delivers some pop on contact and strikes with force. Experienced three-year starter. Good football intelligence -- makes the calls and lines up a defense. Has large hands and a big wing span for his size.

Louisville was one of the best defenses in college football last season and he was a team captain. He has been an integral part of that defense the past few seasons and they have something like a 30-4 record when he started.

His intangibles are a big asset. He was a team leader and captain at Louisville. This defense has suffered in previous seasons due to the fact they haven't really had a leader in the huddle; someone that can hold his teammates accountable and get them going.

His versatility is what made him the pick IMO. Brandon Spikes is the MLB and one of the best in the league; we only have him for 1 year though. Hopefully they can resign him because he is such a beast against the run but there are no guarantees. Then they added Keith Rivers to play SLB. He has had a disappointing career so far after being a top 10 pick but is a definite upgrade over what they had last season. Rolling out Alonso - Spikes - Rivers is a big upgrade. Brown can play SLB in case Rivers were to go down or is a disappointment.

There is no question our run defense was the weakest link last year and cost them games. The majority of the blame for that would fall on the LB's; they just weren't getting the job done. Whaley said enough and completely revamped it. We now have a very good starting unit and a couple quality reserves in Brown and Bradham.

I think a 3rd round pick is well worth it to solidify the weakest unit of a defense teetering on the brink of greatness. Brown can come in and cover for Spikes or Rivers and was one of the best tacklers in the draft. If this team wants to take the next step, the LB corp had to be addressed because there is no way you're winning the Super Bowl with the run defense of last season

Edited by smapdi