Why a trade from 9 makes sense

TDRupp

If Bridgewater does not go in the top 8, then it is almost a certainty the Bills will not get one of their top targets. My gut says he will drop to the mid/late first or second round. If so, these guys are off the board and the Bills would be happy with any of them at 9 except the QBs:

Clowney

Watkins

Robinson

Mack

Evans

Matthews

Manziel

Bortles

I think the Bills value those above minus the QBs much more than Lewan or Ebron which is basically what they would be picking from and I wholeheartedly agree.

Edited by TDRupp

If Bridgewater does not go in the top 8, then it is almost a certainty the Bills will not get one of their top targets. My gut says he will drop to the mid/late first or second round. If so, these guys are off the board and the Bills would be happy with any of them at 9 except the QBs:

Clowney

Watkins

Robinson

Mack

Evans

Matthews

Manziel

Bortles

I think the Bills value those above minus the QBs much more than Lewan or Ebron which is basically what they would be picking from and I wholeheartedly agree.

I think Lewan is absolutely in play at 9 (or higher) and the Bills would love to take him. They'd take any of the 3 OTs IMO. I also think Anthony Barr would be no their radar. The only guy no that list I'd go up for significantly would be Watkins. I'd contemplate giving up a 2nd if he was in reach but I don't think he will be. I'd consider giving up something small to move up 2 or 3 spots to secure Mike Evans but its such a deep WR draft you have to be really convinced that he is THAT much better than some of the other guys.

Ebron is interesting. I wonder if he is as physical as his size would indicate. Picking a TE at 9 seems high but that is based off history and things change. There used to be 3 RBs drafted in the top 10 like every year and we all know those days are long gone. With the importance of the passing game why shouldn't a 75 catch, 1000 yard, 10 TD pass catcher go in the top 10 regardless of position? I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I think Lewan is absolutely in play at 9 (or higher) and the Bills would love to take him. They'd take any of the 3 OTs IMO. I also think Anthony Barr would be no their radar. The only guy no that list I'd go up for significantly would be Watkins. I'd contemplate giving up a 2nd if he was in reach but I don't think he will be. I'd consider giving up something small to move up 2 or 3 spots to secure Mike Evans but its such a deep WR draft you have to be really convinced that he is THAT much better than some of the other guys.

Ebron is interesting. I wonder if he is as physical as his size would indicate. Picking a TE at 9 seems high but that is based off history and things change. There used to be 3 RBs drafted in the top 10 like every year and we all know those days are long gone. With the importance of the passing game why shouldn't a 75 catch, 1000 yard, 10 TD pass catcher go in the top 10 regardless of position? I'm not sure how I feel about it.

You know, I am actually thinking the same now about Lewan. If those other 8 are gonw, I could easily see the Bills going with him at 9.

I still think they would prefer to get Evans or Watkins for EJ.

Or, if they have a chance to get Clowney and do it, they would feel he is an elite DE that would immediately make our defense championship level. That, with even just what we have now on offense, they might feel is enough to put us squarely in the playoff mix this year. They are "all in" on EJ and assuming he steps up a decent amount I tend to agree. A defense with Clowney (LE), K Williams (DT), Dareus (DT), and Mario Williams (DE) upfront and what we have already behind them would be pretty damn close to great. Ride a great D and a solid offense and special teams to championships a la Seattle & Baltimore. I say go for it! The last huge trade we made for elite defense (Cornelius Bennett) was worth it!

Edited by TDRupp

Unless some non-qb and very special such as Mack were available at 9, I think we should go with which ever of the 3 OT's are available. Depending on how it plays out, my favorite scenario would find 1 or 2 surprises in the first eight that encouraged a team drafting at 11-12-13 to offer their #2 pick for our 9 and we still get one of the 3 OT's ----probably Lewan. Then with the 2 picks in the 2nd round go DE --TE or LB . We need a guard in Rd 4 or 5.

I think you go OT or WR at 9, pending whos there....

The draft is full of starting OL talent from any round!

If they stay at 9, I agree. However, I really think they would prefer a WR (Watkins or Evans) to go opposite Stevie (Woods goes outside and Stevie in the slot with 3 WR's) than the OT and they can't count on one of them being there at 9.

Alos, based on what I am hearing (no, no inside sources), I would not doubt them trying to get Clowney at 1 or 2 if he is there. If you feel you are getting a player more talented than Mario and is a perfect fit as an LDE in our new D and you "okay" with the intangibles (by the way, Bruce Smith only had "okay" intangles his first few years... his work ethic grew as he matured) he would be worth a few 1st's and other picks and/or players (Lawson or Hughes) IMHO.