WHAT A DIFFERENCE THREE GAMES MAKE!

Right before the season started, I posted a topic entitled "What do you need to see to consider 2011 season a success?" I was very pessimistic and opined that concrete signs of improvement in the defense would be enough for me. Playoffs or even a winning record seemed too much to ask for.

Of course, I'm deliriously happy with a 3-0 to the start of the season, but it is much more than that. It's the way that they are winning that can set this club up to be a genuine Super Bowl contender for the next several years. Look at the difference between three weeks ago and now.

QB then: Fitz was ranked anywhere from a marginally serviceable starter (Clayton's ranking - 27 out of 32!) to a good back-up. Need then: had to use a #1 on a "franchise" QB. Fitz could mentor him for a year. QB now: Fitz looks like a franchise QB. Sign him long term. Need now: maybe a veteran upgrade back-up, maybe a #3 pick to groom (a la Mallett), maybe nothing.

OL then: a disaster. Need then: had to use a #1 on a frachise LT; also needed a RT (although Hairston looked good in preseason) and maybe a RG. OL now: Bell looks good, Levitre and Wood look great, Urbik/Rhinehart and Pears look at least adequate or better. Needs now: maybe a couple of mid-round draft picks for depth.

TE then: a bigger disaster than the OL. Need then: had to use a high draft pick or bring in a free agent. TE now: Chandler looks great. Excellent red zone threat, good hands, good blocker. Needs now: it's a TE league. I'd still spend a #2 or #3 to get another TE, especially one who can be a down field threat.

Receivers (after Lee Evans trade) then: could Stevie Johnson operate effectively without Evans? Who would take Evans' place? Needs then: Not 100% sure but may have to use high draft pick to replace Evans. Receivers now: Johnson and Nelson look geat, Jones looks good, Roosevelt and Aiken show some promise. Needs now: if Easley recovers, maybe none.

All of this (assuming the first three games have not been a total mirage) means that next season during the free agent signing period and the draft, the Bills don't have to worry about trying to plug eight or nine weaknesses. They can go out and shore up whatever weaknesses are apparent by the seasons' end - pass rushing OLB, some help in the secondary, etc. And yes, if they are a playoff contender and if they are willing to pay the money (always a big if), they will be able to attract big-time free agents here. It's never been about the city. It's always been about how crappy the club was.

So the 3-0 start is great for the immediate future but it is also great news for the foreseeable future. GO BILLS!

Good points on the positional evolution of the players since preseason. I agree.

Im trying very hard not get dillusional about the 3-0 start. Especially after beating New England. But the Bills have went from a 7-9 discussion to a possible wildcard or playoff birth. I dont feel this is far fetched. I hope the players keep their head out the clouds, as well as our fans, and stay humble.

For now I wont be using terms like, "The Bills are gonna kick Cincy's @ss" or "This should be an easy win". Until later in the season when the numbers will speak for themselves.