draft strategy - go for the O

I think if an NFL team is smart, they should concentrate on drafting offensive players first and then go after defensive players later.

I would even say that if I were an NFL GM, I'd look more to free agency for defensive players and I would definitely not take a defensive back high in the draft. I don't care if he's Deion Sanders. It's hard to get value out of a DB. Sanders played for like five teams in his career. Drafting a DB in the first round is crazy. I've watched too many teams invest big money in a DB, only to get burned.

Teams should go after interior players first (no DB, WR or TE in the first round)and if a team is going to take a chance on defense, the risks are a lot higher, imho.

The NFL draft has taken on a life of it's own and I think a good way for NFL teams to highlight that is to go after offensive players first. It helps with the media and fans. It sets a positive tone going into training camp and it keeps the head coach off the hot seat.

Championships are built with defense, but it's hard to build a championship team by getting burned with draft day busts on defense. It's better to go with proven players on defense and get young talent to develop on offense.