What's Going On with Both OL and DL?

I am I missing something?

Does it appear that Chan is playing every lineman and combination in game situations? It was early in game and I noticed Woods and Bell out. I know 8-10 plays in thier not tired.

Same with defense. Is it because he can't get a good feel for personel because each line is going up against the worst in the NFL in practice? So he is using game time to evaulate players against real competition?

Thoughts?

Edited by Throwback Bills

is it possible that he is milking no-talent players in hope of finding one little spark of talent in the mess we presently have on the offensive line instead of actually drafting, signing, keeping or taking off waiver wires linemen who might actually have some talent and might be able to play a little football?

Where are the people who told me that CJ Spiller would be so good that the offensive line problems wouldn't matgter?

Where are the 3-4 crowd that maintained the change would turn a tepid 4-3 defense into an effective defense?

I am I missing something?

Does it appear that Chan is playing every lineman and combination in game situations? It was early in game and I noticed Woods and Bell out. I know 8-10 plays in thier not tired.

Same with defense. Is it because he can't get a good feel for personel because each line is going up against the worst in the NFL in practice? So he is using game time to evaulate players against real competition?

Thoughts?

Interesting observation and spot on. Despite what some people on this board believe, there is always pressure on any coaching staff or front office in the NFL to win, even if it's for their own sense of pride. That's why you're seeing so many combinations. Gailey is trying to find a combination that works, or at least has the potential to work. I don't think it's because he doesn't have a feel for the personnel. I think he knew he was in for a long season as soon as he started studying film, especially along the O-line. He knew he had a disaster there, and not much better along the D-line. In the long run, training camp and preseason can only provide so much information about players. I think you really find out how good they are when the games count. Unfortunately, he was a little too optimistic about what he had. I also think he's questioning whether he should have made the attempt to switch to the 34 this year. He might be thinking now that he should have waited one more year until he could draft or bring in more guys via free agency.

Either way, he knows he's got a mess on his hands in the two most critical areas IMO.....the offensive and defensive lines.

Interesting observation and spot on. Despite what some people on this board believe, there is always pressure on any coaching staff or front office in the NFL to win, even if it's for their own sense of pride. That's why you're seeing so many combinations. Gailey is trying to find a combination that works, or at least has the potential to work. I don't think it's because he doesn't have a feel for the personnel. I think he knew he was in for a long season as soon as he started studying film, especially along the O-line. He knew he had a disaster there, and not much better along the D-line. In the long run, training camp and preseason can only provide so much information about players. I think you really find out how good they are when the games count. Unfortunately, he was a little too optimistic about what he had. I also think he's questioning whether he should have made the attempt to switch to the 34 this year. He might be thinking now that he should have waited one more year until he could draft or bring in more guys via free agency.

Either way, he knows he's got a mess on his hands in the two most critical areas IMO.....the offensive and defensive lines.

Yeah, I watched the o-line closely. At one point he had C. Howard-Levetre-Hangardner-Urbik-the guy from the raiders. FWIW, thought the 4 man D-line of Stroud-Williams-Troupe-Kelsay was doing an ok job, then they switched to the 3-4 after the second quarter.

He's seeing what he has to work with. I think he fully understands, the Bills are a 2-3 year proposition and he is using live games to see what he has to work with...Poor thing must be realixing by now the situation is worse than he thought....