Jets/Ravens Game A Reminder About Bad Drafting

ohiotim

Watching the Jets/Ravens game last night was a painful reminder of the 2006 draft, something I remember clearly (and painfully).

The Bills had the eight pick, and D'Brickashaw Ferguson was already off the board to the Jets at 4. I'm a believer in building the lines, big and nasty. That, however was not the Bills philosophy at time.

I sat in my friend Jay's house, waiting for the pick at eight, mouthing the words "Haloti Ngata," although I'm pretty sure I pronounced it wrong at the time. Of course, instead it was Donte Witner, and my friend Jay started laughing. Mind you, he's a Browns fan, so having a Browns fan laugh at you is angering. That said, we live in Columbus, watch the Buckeyes. Witner was not the Buckeye I wanted on this team.

So, like a good Bills fan, I justified the pick, defended, even though I hated it.

Then we decided to get some BBQ.

So we drive to a local place, Jay runs in to pick up our order. I'm sitting in the car listening on Sirius, and it's announced the Bills have made a trade. I'm ecstatic, this is the spot they can get the Buckeye I want - Nick Mangold. Loved watching him play, a man among boys. Jay gets back in the car, and the pick is.... John McCargo. Even I'm like, who the eff is John McCargo?

I think history bears out that Ngata and Mangold have out performed Witner and McCargo.

Now, I'm not a genius. I'm not in MENSA, or claim super powers. Hell, I loved the James Hardy pick when it happened.

My question is, other than the Losman pick, has there been a 1st round in the last 10-15 years that has provided such an opportunity for improvement in areas of need only to be squandered so poorly by those who supposedly know better? You could say Orakpo over Maybin, but has Orakpo been truly dominant?

It's stuff like this that swirls in my head as I sit in a random Ohio BW3 on Sunday, watching the mediocre Bills trudge through another what will surely be meaningless season.

Stuff like this makes me miss Ronnie Harmon.

Edited by ohiotim

The Bills haven't drafted very well on the whole for many years. That's how you end up with a team with very little talent.

But in some respects, the Bills have drafted well, and done decently in undrafted free agents. They've found some real gems in later rounds, and have gotten good value from undrafted players. It's just their incredible ineptitude for the high-round picks that is so amazing. Other than Lee Evans, they've gotten minimal value from the last decade's first round, where the frequently picked in the top 15 or had multiple picks.

They should just let the Bills personnel folks handle rounds 2-7 and free agency. Let the fans, Mel Kiper, Street & Smith's or anyone else with a prospect ranking at their disposal make the picks.

Just imagine for a second having on the roster 5 or 6 additional players with pro-bowl talent or something approaching that level.

It's just plain weird that the 2 most low-risk methods for adding top players (drafting high 1st round picks and signing proven veteran free agents) the Bills don't have a clue, and yet they find decent players in the bargain bins of the NFL market.