Why is D. Bell taking so much criticism here?

Please watch again and tell me how many times Fitz had to hurry his throws because of pressure. Also, when a LT gets constant help from a TE or a RB, a team forfeits these weapons.

I wouldn't be surprised if some day down the road Bell picks up his play to that of a serviceable backup. If he fails to reach this plateau, this wouldn't surprise me either.

Bell was watching helplessly when the safety occurred. He is weak and not great at the POA and against good DL, he'll be overpowered.

The point is, each move the team makes has unintended consequences. Trading Peters meant huge changes to the entire OL, one of which, the RT to LT, didn't make it past the summer. Everyone knew that he'd need help from the TE or a RB chip block, which as Bill points out, hinders the options in the passing game.

Few people around here anticipate these issues, but see only the immediate result. I guess for RW and RB, he's cheaper than Peters.

Please watch again and tell me how many times Fitz had to hurry his throws because of pressure. Also, when a LT gets constant help from a TE or a RB, a team forfeits these weapons.

I wouldn't be surprised if some day down the road Bell picks up his play to that of a serviceable backup. If he fails to reach this plateau, this wouldn't surprise me either.

Did you watch Jason Peters last night? McNabb was repeatedly rushed into making quicker throws than he'd like. It happens. Peters seemed to be getting beat repeatedly to the outside. For a guy who's supposed to be so quick and so strong, you'd think once Peters gets a hand on you and pushed you to the outside, you'd be out of the play. But no, the guy never veered off course and shrugged off Peters as he blew by him on his path to the QB.

Did you watch Jason Peters last night? McNabb was repeatedly rushed into making quicker throws than he'd like. It happens. Peters seemed to be getting beat repeatedly to the outside. For a guy who's supposed to be so quick and so strong, you'd think once Peters gets a hand on you and pushed you to the outside, you'd be out of the play. But no, the guy never veered off course and shrugged off Peters as he blew by him on his path to the QB.

Maybe everyone on this board was right and Peters was working towards his guaranteed payday now taking the rest of his career off. I would actually like that, it would be funny.

I like Bell (not least because of his perseverance in shrugging off his a-hole father and working hard and actually becoming a professional athlete) and I like Wood and Levitre and, yes, Meredith too. I think at least 2 and as many as 4 of our current line can be intact for a couple of years or more.

Which bodes well for the future.

I do wish the Bills would lose a bunch though so we can run DJ out of town. Install a new regime; good Oline that has experience playing together; a couple playmakers here and there like Byrd and Evans and Jackson, a decent qb and who knows, maybe 2010 is the year. or 2011.

Getting rid of DJ now has to be top priority, and keeping parts of the line together for the long run.

Hope springs eternal.

Here are some quick observations...

1. The Carolina front four is pretty good. It is hard to beat up on Meredith too much for getting schooled by a stud like Peppers. If Scott returns to be the starting RT, these two games of experience will have done Meredith some good, and I believe he can serve as a decent swing man going forward.

2. I too try to focus on Bell in these games, and it is clear that he is inexperienced but it is also clear that he has some talent too. In all honesty, he probably should be a backup at this stage of his development, but we all know why he's been thrown into the fire. I see it as sink or swim for him. If he shows marked improvement during the course of the season to the point where he looks like a serviceable starting LT, then we can cross that need off our list. Otherwise, I would hope that the front office would make a sound investment in an upgrade at the position.

3. This was not a good game for Hangartner. I wonder if the whole retruning home thing had an impact. I like him, and hope that this was just an aberration.

4. Of all the OL, the one who had the worst day was probably Levitre. Let's hope the kid learns from this.

5. I though Wood had the best game of the starters.

The thing that may help is that Fitz seems to be more decisive and quicker in getting the ball out of his hand. I kept wondering how many sacks Edwards would have taken Sunday if he had been behind center.

My guess is that Bell was actually graded out very well by the coaches from yesterday's game. I re-watched every single offensive snap again on DVR, specifically focusing only on Bell. He made 3 mistakes. The rest of the snaps he seemed to be doing his job. Not perfect, but not too bad for his 6th NFL start.

Some are already running him out of town, but I say please watch and evaluate an entire game performance. He was far from the problem on the OL yesterday. Some who are infatuated with the interior may want to take a closer look there.

The idea of going with this young of an offensive line with the no huddle offense is rediculous. As a former collegiate guard, I cant imagine how much it would have sucked not to be able to go back to the huddle and communicate with your fellow hogs, especially as a freshman. There are reads being made, things being seen, tendencies being made that one guy might see, not to mention the team concept such as picking each other up after a penalty or a blown assignment. The no-huddle may have worked with a team of studs in the early 90's but it has no place with this revamped line.

Wood and Levitre are kids playing against experienced pros. I like them both a lot. Hangartner is underrated imo. He is not great but he is a brawler and I appreciate this after Fowler.

Left Tackles are scooped up early. My guess is that Bell lasted until round 7 because it is said that he did 9 reps with 225 at the combines. 9 reps!!! I would expect 9 reps from Donte Whitner.

When he is in space he can make plays because he is fast, and of course bigger than defensive backs. Imo it is a HUGE reach to expect someone such as Bell to be strong enough to compete in the NFL at any decent level.

Please understand how much I want to be proven wrong.

Thanks Bill that make sense. The kids will get better and if, big if, Bell builds on his strength he can go along with them because he is athletic. If not then we have to address this position in the draft or F/A next year. I really like the future of our interior as well and hope the perimiters improve or get addressed.

Getting rid of DJ now has to be top priority, and keeping parts of the line together for the long run.

Hope springs eternal.

Moving beyond the era of mediocrity embodied in three straight 7-9 finishes is an essential thing, but can you be serious about not wanting to see changes in the overarching leadership that made these 3 mediocre results the tail end of an 0 for the decade performance.

Talk about rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Firing Jauron does absolutely nothing for a team if the result is we simply go to a new version of the same type of leadership which saw:

1. The firing of Polian apparently over some personal slight after he led the way to assembling the great team of the 90s.

2. Personally making a handshake agreement with Jimbo to reward him in his next FA contract which clearly was a total misread of what he had left as a player and led to a continuing series of miscues at QB as we futilely search for the next Jimbo.

3. Had a totally toxic relationship with Butler leading to him leaving us twisting in the wind when he flew the coop to SD.

4. Also had a toxic relationship with Wade who did deserve to be canned when he publicly gave up though we were mathematically still in but made a personal error in refusing to pay what he owed Wade for this canning and lost to an arbiter as most said he would for this transgression.

5. Hired TD out of desperation after he mismanaged the Butler/Philips situation which was not a bad idea unless you hired him and failed to manage his obviously bruised ego from getting run out of Pitts by Cowher which led him to hire the not ready for primetime GW. Mr. Ralph then oversaw TD bollicksing up the QB/HC situations leading to his firing and Mr. Ralph having to turn to the too old Marv as his next GM

6. Now we have no real GM and are surprised when the lack of GM team vision which Polian demonstrated is not there at all and things get bollicksed with the Peters/OL situation and with the entire offense when Jauron has shown no talent for offense management even in his one very good year.

Canning Jauron is a necessity but in no way a priority if the same goofy hiring and management which led to Jauron being hired in the first place is going to happen again.

Its hard to fire the owner under any case or to even advocate it given the great things Mr. Ralph has done in keeping the team here and the fear it will go when he dies.

However, at the very least one needs to advocate getting a real GM in here to hire the next coach or one is simply endorsing the majority of a record of failure that Jauron was involved in significantly less than a majority of the time it was created.

Firing Jauron is likely necessary but in no way shape or form a priority because it is not anywhere near sufficient to curing what ails the Bills.

That's the thing though, he's not getting beat like a drum. He had 3 bad plays yesterday, one of them resulting in a sack, out of all the offensive snaps. No one ever plays a perfect game. I just think all the "he sucks" talk is a little premature, and not really fact based. Looking for some input from some of the OL gurus to either confirm or deny.

Well that's kind of the problem... if you average a sack per game with 2 false starts as a staring tackle you shouldn't play in the NFL.

I thought Peters played pretty well overall. One exception was getting badly beat by Carter who jumped over Peters chop block and blindsided DM, just about killing him. Good thing Donovan is so big and able to take hits like that.

Wood and Levitre are kids playing against experienced pros. I like them both a lot. Hangartner is underrated imo. He is not great but he is a brawler and I appreciate this after Fowler.

Left Tackles are scooped up early. My guess is that Bell lasted until round 7 because it is said that he did 9 reps with 225 at the combines. 9 reps!!! I would expect 9 reps from Donte Whitner.

When he is in space he can make plays because he is fast, and of course bigger than defensive backs. Imo it is a HUGE reach to expect someone such as Bell to be strong enough to compete in the NFL at any decent level.

Please understand how much I want to be proven wrong.

As I recall, this summer Bell said that since the combine his reps at 225 have gone from 9 to 25. It's amazing what a year of professional nutrition and strength training can do (especially when you come from a small collegiate program).

To put that number is perspective, at the combine this year Wood did 30 reps and Levitre did 23.

You either are pushing for Ron Jaworski's job at ESPN or you need a life. Seriously, Fitz was pressured on 14 of 24 offensive plays where he dropped back, that is why the whole offensive line is scrutinized, coupled with the fact that they have given up the second most sacks in the NFL and he plays the most important position on the line.

And our backs averaged 1.8 yds per carry. It doesn't seem to be anyone's fault though... certainly not anyone on the offensive line.

My guess is that Bell was actually graded out very well by the coaches from yesterday's game. I re-watched every single offensive snap again on DVR, specifically focusing only on Bell. He made 3 mistakes. The rest of the snaps he seemed to be doing his job. Not perfect, but not too bad for his 6th NFL start.

Some are already running him out of town, but I say please watch and evaluate an entire game performance. He was far from the problem on the OL yesterday. Some who are infatuated with the interior may want to take a closer look there.

Obvious reason. He is replacing a probowler! He is manning the second most important position on the offensive side of the ball! He is NOT good right now regardless of how he compares to his other inexperienced linemates. Not to mention the penalties!!!