The Bills culture of losing

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=4478620

Sums it up nicely, I think:

"If Brady and the Patriots have crafted for themselves an aura of confidence, transforming gnawing, admirable persistence into a culture, the Bills have managed something quite the opposite: a suffocating pathology from an organization-wide dynamic of playing losing football by making losing decisions."

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"If Brady and the Patriots have crafted for themselves an aura of confidence, transforming gnawing, admirable persistence into a culture, the Bills have managed something quite the opposite: a suffocating pathology from an organization-wide dynamic of playing losing football by making losing decisions."

It comes and goes. They were saying the same stuff about Jim Kelly and the Buffalo Bills in the early 90's -- how Kelly could always manage to pull out a victory from seemingly obvious defeat. This team WANTS to win. I think that is clear. Edwards clearly is aiming for the playoffs. Yes, they still need to prove it by actually winning games and winning close games, too -- and they will I think this year. I think this is the year that the team develops a winning culture.

I thought it was complete bulloney.

Being afraid to bring the ball out is losing football. "oh no, we might fumble, just curl up in a ball and lay down :D ." Not being scared of your own shadow and bringing it out to run the clock under 2:00 was the straightest path to winning that game.

The true shame is that Jauron doesn't communicate with his staff or players , provides no leadership when it's needed and continues to fail repeatedly as a game manager.

Being afraid to bring the ball out is losing football. "oh no, we might fumble, just curl up in a ball and lay down :D ." Not being scared of your own shadow and bringing it out to run the clock under 2:00 was the straightest path to winning that game.

The true shame is that Jauron doesn't communicate with his staff or players , provides no leadership when it's needed and continues to fail repeatedly as a game manager.

Exactly...

And we've been here before have we not? The coulda, woulda, shoulda thing? Why is it that when decisions to Win Games late need to be made, Jauron comes out on the short end FAR more often than not? There HAS to be something to it right? Is the guy just jinxed or is it as simple as it looks in the Record Book? Maybe, just maybe, He's not a good NFL Head Coach...Right?

Just saying... <_<

Well, I think he's on point in that winners expect to win. I think it showed that we were nervous, and at the heart of it, didn't believe we'd win. I mean, look at us as fans. Many, if not most of us, were sitting at home wondering how we were going to muck this up with 5 minutes left and up 11? If Leodis didn't fumble, maybe Trent throws a pick or Freddie puts it on the ground. Who knows...but IMHO, you could feel how apprehensive Jauron and company were...

Like going along with fans on personnel and coaching decisions

Well, I think he's on point in that winners expect to win. I think it showed that we were nervous, and at the heart of it, didn't believe we'd win. I mean, look at us as fans. Many, if not most of us, were sitting at home wondering how we were going to muck this up with 5 minutes left and up 11? If Leodis didn't fumble, maybe Trent throws a pick or Freddie puts it on the ground. Who knows...but IMHO, you could feel how apprehensive Jauron and company were...

Oh I absolutely agree with that. He's like a deer in the headlights; when a key decision needs to be made he seems to shrink and the game gets too big for him. Not only is he not proactive, he's barely even reactive.

-so true...--a whole bunch of bad decisions led to another horrendous loss...not just Theodis dumb play(he made the right play returning it--just blanked out by trying to get 2 more yards when he had no chance)

Oh I absolutely agree with that. He's like a deer in the headlights; when a key decision needs to be made he seems to shrink and the game gets too big for him. Not only is he not proactive, he's barely even reactive.

Simon knows this because he's on the sidelines, on the headsets listening to the conversations between the coaches and players.

Just in case you might think about questioning Simon's statement above. Don't.

Amazing.

Jauron has his obviously out-manned team (You guys wanna argue the Bills are more talented than the Pats?) execute a great gameplan on both sides of the ball to near-perfection, putting this Bills team in the fantastic position of beating the Pats on the road, on Monday Night Football, in Tom Brady's return.

And you guys are bitching about how the coach sucks.

Simon knows this because he's on the sidelines, on the headsets listening to the conversations between the coaches and players.

Just in case you might think about questioning Simon's statement above. Don't.

So Simon is partly to blame for this mess?

Coaching is nothing. The Pats* won because Tom Brady makes plays when the game is on the line. The Steelers win because Ben R. makes plays when the game is on the line. The Bills used to win because Jim Kelly made plays when the game is on the line.

We had the ball with 45 seconds to go, two timeouts, and only needed a field goal to win. You give the ball to Brady, Ben R, or Peyton Manning under those circumstances, it's game over. Trent played a great game on Monday; but he's not the kind of franchise QB that separates average teams from great ones.

Yeah. Whatever. Ho hum.

Here's the deal: the so called culture of losing can TURN ON A DIME.

Example: the Bills were slaughtered by the Phins game after game after game in the late 70's early nineties. Then in one game with Bruce and Jim Kelly... the Bills owned them. In one game the culture of losing was flipped. Fans flooded Rich Stadium (the name then) field after the game and tore down the goal posts after we beat the fish and broke a legendary losing streak. Can't place the date at the moment...

Anyhow.. the point being: whoop-dee-doo.. don't buy this culture of losing crap from some stiff writer from out of town.

I gotta feeling we may be on the tipping point again. From losers to winners.

Amazing.

Jauron has his obviously out-manned team (You guys wanna argue the Bills are more talented than the Pats?) execute a great gameplan on both sides of the ball to near-perfection, putting this Bills team in the fantastic position of beating the Pats on the road, on Monday Night Football, in Tom Brady's return.

+1 fortunately for his coaching we were in this situation to begin with. i recall last week practically everyone, including us here, bills fans, had us getting whipped by many points. of course i didnt like the outcome, but to blame the coach for THIS loss doesnt make sense. anyway, good reply

Amazing.

TRANSLATION:

Amazing

Jauron (ie Alex Van Pelt) has his obviously out-manned team (You guys wanna argue the Bills are more talented than the Pats?) execute a great gameplan on both sides (Offense yes, D I will give you the first half) of the ball to near (please let me know when almost is close enough)-perfection, putting this Bills team in the fantastic position of (almost) beating the Pats on the road, on Monday Night Football, in Tom Brady's return.

Yet it all unfolds in the last few minutes and the Bills ultimately lose. The defense played too soft at the end -- maybe because Ellis was not on the active roster? -- as the Bills had no pass rush late (I wonder if Jauron had a say in this?). Or it could have been the complete lack of a blitz package? (Maybe a say in this?). At half time the Bills allow McKelvin to cover Moss who finishes with 12 catches when he was covered by McGee during the first half and had only 2 at halftime (Or even this?). Ellison is left on the field when is totally out of his league (Jaurons call?). We see poor clock management -- yet again -- at the end of the game (Trend perhaps?). These are all things we have seen before, but you are right, it is not the head coaches fault. It must be some other force controling this team. How many times do we need to see a DJ coached team fail to win a close game, fail to beat a good team, fail to finish anything strong, fail to be +.500, fail to make the playoffs, fail to.......

You better believe I am bitching that to coaching sucks.