Runyan visiting Bills

thebandit27

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last guy out, lock up.

AFAIK, Runyan's been on the market for months with no takers. 13 years in the NFL. No surprise about his knee problem.

Yes, but he was just medically cleared to play on August 26th and now there are reportedly 4 teams interested in him. So I think your statement about being on the market for months is not quite accurate...though your posts are typically excellent.

WHY WHY WHY is everyone trying to send Levitre to the bench????? I do not understand.....if we got Runyan why would he send him to RT....dont u think that if we needed a RT we would have kept walker????? give me abreak....Levitre had one really bad play other than that...how is he the weak link on the line??? give me a break

I believe that the cutting of Walker had as much (if not more) to do with him not being the type of smart, nasty, high-motor (please...refrain) player that the Bills want to build around. I agree that Walker was decent at right tackle last year but I think that is besides the point.

If the Bills sign him, it will be looked at as desperate, and further retooling of the line.

If the Bills don't sign him, it will be looked at as a failure of the front office.

So true hotwing. Without positive results, anything this team does or doesn't do is viewed as some sort of failing.

Oh God please no. He's washed up, a has been. He was good in his day, but his better one's are behind him. We need to look to the future, not some old vet looking to pass his days on our roster. The last time I saw him play the Giants he was getting killed by the Giants Dlinemen and Mcnabb was running for his life. I'll take my chances with our two young tackles and Butler. Langston Walker was a top 10 RT, if they needed a RT they should have put him back there. Runyan is not a LT as Walker was also not a LT.

I will admit that I haven't had the time, energy, or opportunity to evaluate his play from last year. However if 4 teams are interested in him...

Ralph, you are wasting money again, do it over the phone!

Would we rather Ralph be a cheapskate or would we rather he took a bold stab at glory?

There's no other viable veteran tackles out there really and I personally don't mind taking the risk of signing Runyan.

Jon Runyan

Cons: 35, coming off serious injury, Even if he was healthly can a giant 35 yo man thrive in a fast paced no-huddle attack.

Pros: was one of the better RTs in the NFL, there is a history of OTs playing effectively until almost 40, a game that is based on size, strength and intelligence can last much longer than one based on speed and quickness. (see Ted Washington)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...otread7/seifert

Tennessee Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan is regarded as a fearless player, aggressive in coverage and against the run. Ask him about a nightmare scenario, and it doesn't take him long to come up with one involving a notorious Philadelphia Eagles tandem.

"A screen with Jon Runyan with [brian] Westbrook behind him," he said. "One-on-one with Runyan with Westbrook behind him for a touchdown. Oh my goodness. I know I am going to have to go through him if it's for a touchdown. I'm just thinking about what body part I am going to use that could be injured. Shoulder? Neck? Back? Those three things I would be highly worried about with Runyan.

"I think if you go low on Runyan, he may drop the knee somewhere. So I think you have to stay high and just let him baptize you. That's probably what I would do. You know when you go backwards and your head hits first and you wake up as if somebody baptized you or blessed you? I think that would be Runyan right there, all day, every day."

Philadelphia's Runyan, the only active player in the league who suited up for the Houston Oilers, is in his 13th season. Finnegan has played against the Eagles only once, his rookie season in 2006, and encountered Runyan just once in that game.

"He plays the game at a high level, he's a nasty player," Finnegan said of the 6-7, 330-pound Runyan. "He got his hands on me when we played Philly and he threw me about 25 yards away from the play, and the play wasn't even around me. So I just know if he got his hands on me and he was the lead blocker on a screen that it could be detrimental to my health."

In other words he would be a horrible fit for Buffalo.

I would love the signing! Play him at RT in week 2. If we got him, I would move Wood to the LG and Butler back to RG. Getting Runyan will be a longshot, and moving these guys to those spots would be an even bigger one, but let's keep our fingers crossed. GET ER DONE!

You can't move Wood to LG in his rookie season. It would be insane. If you are that desperate to replace Levitre, do it with a veteran who's been around for awhile. Butler, maybe, but moving a rookie to a position he's never played before after having him at a different position all through OTAs and camp is setting him up to fail.

You can't move Wood to LG in his rookie season. It would be insane. If you are that desperate to replace Levitre, do it with a veteran who's been around for awhile. Butler, maybe, but moving a rookie to a position he's never played before after having him at a different position all through OTAs and camp is setting him up to fail.

We're talking about the Bills though.

That would still be generous. This Langston Walker revisionist history puzzles me.

Only 8 teams in the CFL, so being in the top 10 wouldn't be bad. :rolleyes: