Runyan visiting Bills

thebandit27

By the way: this is further evidence that the Bills' Front Office is full of idiots. Way to give Runyan maximum leverage. If they were going to target him (which they must've, or should've, known as soon as they decided Walker couldn't cut it), why not hold onto Walker until they'd finished negotiating with Runyan? Could still have announced that Bell would be the starter. This way, they've guaranteed themselves having to pay more for Runyan.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way: this is further evidence that the Bills' Front Office is full of idiots. Way to give Runyan maximum leverage. If they were going to target him (which they must've, or should've, known as soon as they decided Walker couldn't cut it), why not hold onto Walker until they'd finished negotiating with Runyan? Could still have announced that Bell would be the starter. This way, they've guaranteed themselves having to pay more for Runyan.

Maybe, but I think the Bills probably know they'll have to bid high to take him away from Philly anyway. I don't think Walker will really play into it.

Wouldn't they have had to guarantee his salary then? From the article it sounds like the game is to wait until after Week 1's games have been played because you don't have to guarantee salaries of anyone not on the team at that point. So if correct, and Walker was still on the team, the Bills would be on the hook for his salary even if they cut him if I'm following this correctly.....

Is Runyan, with his injury history, any better than Butler? Butler's never going to make a pro bowl or anything, but he's a pretty fundamentally solid tackle.

Maybe not, but it would nice to have a guy like that around to show these kids what it takes to play in the league. And I'd take him as a backup any day over Walker or Chambers.

His first choice (from what I've read) is to return to Philly, and they seem to be interested as well. If that's true, we'll have to outbid them, perhaps significantly. This is how our problems typically have started.

I'll say this: Levi Jones must be in piss-poor phyiscal shape.

Levi Jones hasn't worked out for anyone yet has he? (maybe the Cards a while ago but anyone else?)

I guess he'd replace Jonathan Scott on the roster? The backup that can only play RT. That's clearly an upgrade if Runyan can actually play anymore.

I didn't find Butler very impressive in the preseason but I'd rather he find the bench than shuffle the whole line unless its absolutely necessary (if Runyan is starting, a big if). Then I guess you have a backup that can play guard or RT in Butler.

This is impossible. Didn't we already establish that Runyan hates Buffalo and no UFA will ever sign with the Bills again because we cut Langston Walker?

See below.

No, no, no...he's only visiting the Bills so that he can set his going rate with other teams in the league! DUH!

Sad, but true. I was looking for any encouraging signs, and this was one, until I saw we were one of 4 teams interested, with Philly being his top choice.

BTW, does this org have any clue what they're doing? Their offseason plan was to trade Peters, move LW over to LT where everyone knew he was ill suited to play, move our starting RG out to tackle, and draft two interior guys, even though we already had Butler starting there. Then we cut LW, now we're looking for Butler's replacement?

Is Runyan, with his injury history, any better than Butler? Butler's never going to make a pro bowl or anything, but he's a pretty fundamentally solid tackle.

Butler is far from a fundamentally solid tackle. Your right tackle is not supposed to be pushed back into the backfield by a LB.

Maybe, but I think the Bills probably know they'll have to bid high to take him away from Philly anyway. I don't think Walker will really play into it.

Look at this another way. The Bills, as Captain Caveman correctly points out, will need to pay more than the other teams to have a chance of signing Runyan anyways.

Thus I don't think "leverage" has anything to do with it.

Here's how the Bills could "pre-empt" the competition. Offer him a guaranteed contract that puts him on the roster for opening day. All the other teams are presumably avoiding doing that as it would guarantee his contract for the season.

If he passes our physical, the Bills could take the risk and sign him to a guaranteed contract...a risk the other teams are most likely trying to avoid.

If he's as good as he was last year, he'll be an upgrade over Butler.

Faint heart never won fair lady. If the Bills feel he'd be an upgrade, this is the time (for the team and its fans) to make a bold, decisive move. Opportunity doesn't knock every day. Take the plunge.