DirecTV planning to drop Versus

BuffaloBud

I read somewhere, where I can't find again, that DirecTV is planning to drop Versus from their channel list due to declining viewership. That puts a bunch of pressure on G Betman to get a tv contract with another provider (ESPN?). Also, I know that there is a limited interest on this side, but the Tour de France would lose it's US broadcaster.

I guess if they get rid of Versus I have no reason to have the Sports Pack. I do watch Fuel TV sometimes for a laugh but not enough to pay the extra $13 a month

Versus isn't on the sports pack... I get it, and I don't buy the sports pack.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/328143...Drop_Versus.php

I really think it's lame that Comcast can own the distribution AND so many networks, but hey.

Versus was dropped at midnight.

CONcast is a horrible company.

However, I wrote a pretty strongly worded email to Directv telling them Versus better be on soon or Ill be calling for FIOS. I subscribe to the Center Ice package and because of 'disputes' I cant watch the Sabres games in HD, and now I cant watch the Versus NHL exclusive games, which includes a good amount of the playoffs.

Could someone gather Gary Bettman, take him out to Death Valley (its in the market for the Coyotes) and leave him for the scorpions and excessive heat. This guy is brain dead. You think with ESPN finally giving the NHL the light of day in the last year, he would do everything in his power to sign a deal with ESPN. Way to go, Gary. :sick:

Could someone gather Gary Bettman, take him out to Death Valley (its in the market for the Coyotes) and leave him for the scorpions and excessive heat. This guy is brain dead. You think with ESPN finally giving the NHL the light of day in the last year, he would do everything in his power to sign a deal with ESPN. Way to go, Gary. :sick:

Add to the faqct that the Sabres home games are not on in HD, this is just nuts. I am calling D* today to say i need credits to keep this stinkin Center Ice package, I am just not getting what I am paying for. Will gladly pay up when the NHL and MSG figure out their little spat...

BTW, anyone know the revenue split between the carriers and NHL on Center Ice?

Add to the faqct that the Sabres home games are not on in HD, this is just nuts. I am calling D* today to say i need credits to keep this stinkin Center Ice package, I am just not getting what I am paying for. Will gladly pay up when the NHL and MSG figure out their little spat...

BTW, anyone know the revenue split between the carriers and NHL on Center Ice?

SAbres Home games ARE in HD on DTV, just not on FIOS (or is that just locally in Buffalo and not on Center Ice?)

I find my almost always at odds with the things Bettman does. Why the hell he is fighting the Blackberry guy and his great offer I'll never know. Well I do know, the lil guy has a big ego and he is pissed off that Balsillie went behind his back and cut a deal with the Coyote owner. Suck it up Bettman and put your ego/pride behind. At least Balsillie will move it to a city with a solid fan base. Not that I think backwards Hamilton is the best choice but it will be a infinitely better than any southern U.S. local he tries to shoehorn the Coyotes into. -1 weak franchise +1 solid franchise. What a twat he is

I find my almost always at odds with the things Bettman does. Why the hell he is fighting the Blackberry guy and his great offer I'll never know. Well I do know, the lil guy has a big ego and he is pissed off that Balsillie went behind his back and cut a deal with the Coyote owner. Suck it up Bettman and put your ego/pride behind. At least Balsillie will move it to a city with a solid fan base. Not that I think backwards Hamilton is the best choice but it will be a infinitely better than any southern U.S. local he tries to shoehorn the Coyotes into. -1 weak franchise +1 solid franchise. What a twat he is

Bettman is just a mouthpiece for the owners. If the owners wanted Basille to own a team, he would already.

SAbres Home games ARE in HD on DTV, just not on FIOS (or is that just locally in Buffalo and not on Center Ice?)

Just local and not on Center Ice. No out of market Center Ice subscribers can see Sabres home games in HD on MSG+, regardless of the provider.

"No cable or satellite provider that carries NHL Center Ice has the MSG HD feeds available for use in NHL Center Ice at this time.

If you live in the local market for the Rangers, Devils, Islanders or Sabres - you will watch their games on the local regional sports network (MSG, MSG+ etc.) - not in NHL Center Ice. These local broadcasts are produced and controlled directly by MSG."

Thanks,

NHL TV

Just remember this, if Basille moves the team to Hamilton a very lucrative market to the NHL goes away for free. The money that Basille pays to Moyes(sp..owner of the Yotes) goes to pay off creditors etc..

Yes, the Sothern ontario market can support another team, and someone would be willing to pay maybe $300M for the right to own a team there..thats $10M per club..not exactly chump change.

Also, Hamilton is like the LA market is to football. Almost more lucrative to the owners to have a spot open where a team can threaten to move to force public financing os stadiums, swett heart leases etc. Thats why i think you will never see another NFL team in LA

Just remember this, if Basille moves the team to Hamilton a very lucrative market to the NHL goes away for free. The money that Basille pays to Moyes(sp..owner of the Yotes) goes to pay off creditors etc..

Yes, the Sothern ontario market can support another team, and someone would be willing to pay maybe $300M for the right to own a team there..thats $10M per club..not exactly chump change.

Also, Hamilton is like the LA market is to football. Almost more lucrative to the owners to have a spot open where a team can threaten to move to force public financing os stadiums, swett heart leases etc. Thats why i think you will never see another NFL team in LA

Good points all. Never thought of it from that perspective. If your right, things make a lot more sense to me. BS politics as usual.