Re-Post Direct TV Subscribers - Easy Instructions on Discounting

I don't really think you would have to use the I'm going to cancel threat. You can probably just tell them you were looking at your bill and didn't know the price was so high and were thinking about cancelling unless they could do something to help you.

I didn't use the cancellation thing to also get Superfan for free. I basically just told them that Superfan is a bogus way to get more money by making HD available only through SF. That one required some dialogue but still wasn't hard to get off my bill as well.

Yeah but I'm under contract with Direct TV untill December.......don't think it will work for me.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but I'm under contract with Direct TV untill December.......don't think it will work for me.

Oh. Hmmm. Don't know about how your case will turn out. I'd say 50/50 chance. If you have Superfan, I'd say you maybe could at least get that turned off. After all, you would already be paying to get HD, thus, you could tell them to stick the SF up their butts!

I don't really think you would have to use the I'm going to cancel threat. You can probably just tell them you were looking at your bill and didn't know the price was so high and were thinking about cancelling unless they could do something to help you.

I didn't use the cancellation thing to also get Superfan for free. I basically just told them that Superfan is a bogus way to get more money by making HD available only through SF. That one required some dialogue but still wasn't hard to get off my bill as well.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try this tonight. My one concern is that some of these DTV customer service reps are such duds that they don't understand how the game is played.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try this tonight. My one concern is that some of these DTV customer service reps are such duds that they don't understand how the game is played.

Thought the same thing JR, but I'm telling you.....if your account is set up online, you can see them posting the credits as you talk to them.

Follow your payment activity online and you'll see them posting credits online as you talk. Sunday Ticket will still be charged at 44.99 but you'll see a credit for $20 immediately. Same for Superfan. Your bill is already charged $16.50 for the first month, but you'll see the credit immediately for $16.50.

They give no hassle on dropping the price of ST. There is a little wrangling about Superfan. When you demonstrate that you know what they are selling you is BS....they'll make it free. Mine even acted like the credit should have already been given, but it wasn't. Total BS.

I just hope this helps some of you save money. I know I'm grateful for the first poster who posted about this. I'm just verifying it works. I did it on my cell phone today on the way to work (at least the Superfan part of it).

Spot on! That's where you have be congenial but firm to speak with their supervisor.

Takes some nerve and I'm not exactly salivating at the thought, but I gotta try to reduce this crazy sticker shock!

Spot on! That's where you have be congenial but firm to speak with their supervisor.

Takes some nerve and I'm not exactly salivating at the thought, but I gotta try to reduce this crazy sticker shock!

If we followed anyone but the Bills, this nonsense wouldn't be a problem. One of the few teams that is often relegated to SD broadcast.

Just hung up with Direct TV. Already was getting Superfan for free.......didn't know that. I was a "Season Ticket Holder" so I was getting Superfan for 6 payments of 44.95 instead of $300.....gee, thanks :lol: . Got it down to 6 payments of $34.95 with Free Superfan :wallbash: . Not as good as some but not that bad when you consider I really didn't have the threat of canceling bc I'm under contract.

Just hung up with Direct TV. Already was getting Superfan for free.......didn't know that. I was a "Season Ticket Holder" so I was getting Superfan for 6 payments of 44.95 instead of $300.....gee, thanks :lol: . Got it down to 5 payments of $34.95 with Free Superfan :wallbash: . Not as good as some but not that bad when you consider I really didn't have the threat of canceling bc I'm under contract.

One of my friends got the same deal you did. He got 6 payments ofr 34.95, and Superfan for free. They told him they wouldn't give him the $20 credit per month, because HE WAS STILL ON THE STAND ALONE PACKAGE. Yes, he's still one of the lucky bastards that only has DTV for the Sunday Ticket and NHL package. He was one of the first subscribers to DTV, and every year they call him and tell him he needs to buy at least a base package, and every year he wins the battle with the supervisor to keep on the stand alone plan.

The bastard.

Well, thanks LV and everyone else!! I just called and got the deal.

Here's a tip for others. When you get the voice prompt, say "cancel NFL ticket" so that they transfer you to the right department. I said "customer service," and got some customer service dud (as I had feared), who almost cancelled my entire DTV subscription, until I went back and forth with him, sufficiently confusing him and having him transfer me to the programming people.

The woman haggled with me (only $5 off, then $10 off, etc.), until we settled on $20 off per month. And she tried to sell me on SuperFan, until I convinced her to give me a one-year free test run. :wallbash:

Of note, she said I only could get the deal because I was a loyal customer and in good standing. I kind of believe that-- if you're a newbie or have been delinquint on payments, I wonder if they're less likely to extend the deal.

I'm sure my wife offers her special thanks to everyone, as well. There pretty much is no price I wouldn't pay for Sunday Ticket; the wifey has a contrary view.

Oh. Hmmm. Don't know about how your case will turn out. I'd say 50/50 chance. If you have Superfan, I'd say you maybe could at least get that turned off. After all, you would already be paying to get HD, thus, you could tell them to stick the SF up their butts!

I have a commitment (because of a "free" HD leased receiver)through 2011, but I was still able to get them to knock off $120 and give "free" Superfan package. This is the NFL dictating the pricing, so don't blame Directv. They're just about breaking even with the hope that they keep long-term commitments from subscribers.

Maybe I could have held out for a better deal, but I'm satisfied. I've got a friend nearby who might borrow my spare receiver for the months of Sept-December, and split the overall ST cost, taking it down to around $130 each. I can live with that. Assuming the Bills are shown here around 4-5 times on local TV (we already know of 3 for certain - that is if the Falcons game sells out) so now I'm into them for maybe $12 game or less. That's a reasonable fee for the luxury of sitting in my cozy den recliner, fireplace blazing, cold beer in the fridge, toilet close by without a puddle of some stanger's pee on the floor under my shoes, kitten on my lap, aromatic roast slowly cooking in the oven.

Perfect scenerio, except for the neighborhood A-hole from the adjoining property who only follows UGA football on Saturdays, so he's out there with the friggin' 2-cycle hedgetrimmer all Sunday afternoon keeping the old battle-axe happy by catchin' up on his "honey-do" list at my expense. Note to self: stock up on bottle rockets and ammo for bb rifle.

Well, thanks LV and everyone else!! I just called and got the deal.

Here's a tip for others. When you get the voice prompt, say "cancel NFL ticket" so that they transfer you to the right department. I said "customer service," and got some customer service dud (as I had feared), who almost cancelled my entire DTV subscription, until I went back and forth with him, sufficiently confusing him and having him transfer me to the programming people.

The woman haggled with me (only $5 off, then $10 off, etc.), until we settled on $20 off per month. And she tried to sell me on SuperFan, until I convinced her to give me a one-year free test run. :wallbash:

Of note, she said I only could get the deal because I was a loyal customer and in good standing. I kind of believe that-- if you're a newbie or have been delinquint on payments, I wonder if they're less likely to extend the deal.

I'm sure my wife offers her special thanks to everyone, as well. There pretty much is no price I wouldn't pay for Sunday Ticket; the wifey has a contrary view.

Awesome! :lol: Great point about saying "Cancel Sunday Ticket". I did the same thing you did the first time also. I also heard the good customer, good standing bit too.

Now, on to tomorrow. I've gotta get my college football package worked out as well! LOL :blink: I'm not holding my breath on that one though!

I'd say get it while the gettins good! This advice of calling in for the discount and $150 total cost is on all kinds of message boards all over the place, so D* may eventually pull it. I can't believe I actually pay less for the NFL Sunday Ticket with SuperFan than I do for their Center Ice package :wallbash:

Ok so I guess I will be the only one who didn't get the 20 a month off the ticket. I only got 10. I admit that I did get a little scared when my rep said that the cancellation would not be a problem and if I would hold for a min they would get me done up. Then another lady gets on and she is the one who asked me if I would keep the package for a sweeter deal. She tried to give me 10 off the ST and then 1/2 off the SF. I did some arguing and got the SF for free.

So all in all I got 10 a month of the ticket and the superfan for free (2nd straight year for that). While I did not get the same deal that some did I am still happy that I did get a discount. :wallbash:

I'd say get it while the gettins good! This advice of calling in for the discount and $150 total cost is on all kinds of message boards all over the place, so D* may eventually pull it. I can't believe I actually pay less for the NFL Sunday Ticket with SuperFan than I do for their Center Ice package :wallbash:

With a little negotiating and whining, I got Center Ice last year for $69.00.

BTW - to expound on the earlier post from the guy/gal who said "cancel" at one of the DTV menu prompts - I've used that magic little word for years in order to push my way to the front of the line in the menu-prompt virtual velvet rope. (don't you just love the ones that cycle back to the original menus so that you're stuck in automated-telephone-prompt-menu infinity? Only thing more frustrating is spending 20 minutes getting through the recorded zombies, and have it hang up on you so you can start all over again...ughhhhh)

They must have a voice recognition thingy that upon hearing "cancel" sends you directly to a usually competent customer service rep whose job it is to make a save and retain the disgruntled subscriber.

And NO...I don't want to..... "Para Continuar en Español, Oprima numero 2"!!!!!

I'd say get it while the gettins good! This advice of calling in for the discount and $150 total cost is on all kinds of message boards all over the place, so D* may eventually pull it. I can't believe I actually pay less for the NFL Sunday Ticket with SuperFan than I do for their Center Ice package :o

I agree with this 100%. I said the same thing about Sunday Ticket compared to the NHL package!

:devil:

Called this morning and it worked out great. I also just got the $10 off per month, but SF for free too. I happy with that. When the rep saw that I've have the Ticket since 2000 he was quick to reduce the cost. Maybe I could have kept haggling to get the $20 off per month, but it's all good. I'll have to see if they will budge on the hockey in a month or so. Great advice everyone and good luck if you are still trying.