Could Ellis Lankster Be a Surprise Pick & Make the 53 Man Roster?

CB Ellis Lankster was the Bills 220th over all pick.

He has done in the OTAs enough for him to be tried out on the first team unit .... The coaches have liked what they have seen. If he keeps improving is it possible he could make the 53 man roster? If so, who in the secondary would he replace?

Then again remember he can return punts and be a good special team player. But he would need to replace someone else. But who? If he makes the team.

CB Ellis Lankster was the Bills 220th over all pick.

He has done in the OTAs enough for him to be tried out on the first team unit .... The coaches have liked what they have seen. If he keeps improving is it possible he could make the 53 man roster? If so, who in the secondary would he replace?

Then again remember he can return punts and be a good special team player. But he would need to replace someone else. But who? If he makes the team.

Jabari Greer.

If he shines in ST play that is how he makes the roster. Folks tend to focus too much only on position play, but in this case I do not see him beating out McGee, McKelvin, the recently acquired Florence, or the contractually obligated to Corner for the first 4 CBs slot.

After that, he is dueling with vets Youbouty and Fox , jumping over the more highly regarded Harris and the S/CB playing Byrd simply to make a roster that takes an expanded number of CBs that will be a lot of them if they keep merely 6.

The odds are incredibly stacked against him doing better than making the PS.

The early reviews are good but a little hype at this point is a pretty thin straw for him to make the team.

Again, this is why teh outrage for a drafting a defensive back in the 7th round was stupid in the first place. In the 7th, you draft on talent alone. Defensive back is one of the deepest position on the team and they can contribute in STs immediately.

Lankster may make it instead of Drayton Florence. Thought process is as follows:

Starters: McGee, McKelvin

Nickel: Corner

#4: Youboty

#5: TBD

Florence may be the better player at corner than some of the young guys, but do you pay him that kind of money to ride the pine. Personally, I would rather take a younger guy with more upside potential that would cost less money.

Lankster may make it instead of Drayton Florence. Thought process is as follows:

Starters: McGee, McKelvin

Nickel: Corner

#4: Youboty

#5: TBD

Florence may be the better player at corner than some of the young guys, but do you pay him that kind of money to ride the pine. Personally, I would rather take a younger guy with more upside potential that would cost less money.

Agree with that depth breakdown. When it comes to those last 2 or 3 roster spots on the final 53 man roster, the players who establish themselves on special teams usually win out. Lankster may be one of those guys, Alvin Bowen as well.

IIRC both Whitner and Mitchell have identified him as the most surprising player in camp. I doubt he would make it through waivers and still hit the PS. I'm hoping the Bills can trade Simpson and get something for him. It seems that Denver has purged all of it's defensive players* and could probably use him as a starter. That's just one team he'd probably upgrade now. JMO

*Not sure if they cut their saftey's.

I have a feeling that Florence is going to be a cap casualty (also Josh Reed BTW); therefore, Lankster plays on special teams and helps out on punt returns occasionally. He is more multi-dimensional than Florence and Youbody IMO. Skooby is right though....we'll have to wait until camp to make those distinctions.

I have a feeling that Florence is going to be a cap casualty (also Josh Reed BTW); therefore, Lankster plays on special teams and helps out on punt returns occasionally. He is more multi-dimensional than Florence and Youbody IMO. Skooby is right though....we'll have to wait until camp to make those distinctions.

Somebodies in the Bills braintrust went out of there way to acquire Florence so clearly they have something in mind for him such that it does not strike me that Florence's fate is going to be determined by cap issues.