A Story On Jairus Byrd

H2o

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/articles/2...42458625593.txt

Just wondering how they are planning to use the guy? Is he being set up to play CB when McGee walks possibly or is he going to play a S spot? He would most likely fit at FS and Whitner is supposed to be starting at that spot from here out. McKelvin #1 CB and Byrd #2 CB in 2010?

I dont know how they will work out the safeties, but I believe you will see McKelvin and Corner at CB(unless Youboty stays healthy) and Whitner and Byrd at S. They could play around with them at either position and see what works best. I think they are going to be a very versitile bunch by the end of the season.

I dont know how they will work out the safeties, but I believe you will see McKelvin and Corner at CB(unless Youboty stays healthy) and Whitner and Byrd at S. They could play around with them at either position and see what works best. I think they are going to be a very versitile bunch by the end of the season.

+1

Um. The second half of that piece is missing -- I'll have to check, but I'm guessing it cuts off where the story jumps in the print edition ...

Yup, it does. I'll drop their Web editor a line; hopefully, he can find Dunne's original in the system and fix it online.

The second half talks about Byrd challenging Ko Simpson at FS; I think he's wrong about Simpson even being in the mix, but we'll see. The money quote: "'Coming in,' Byrd said, 'they just want me to be a ball-hawk and do what I do.'"

FWIW, I've also seen Tyler's name in the sports pages of the Buffalo News this summer. Assuming he's one of their interns, congrats to him.

Um. The second half of that piece is missing -- I'll have to check, but I'm guessing it cuts off where the story jumps in the print edition ...

Yup, it does. I'll drop their Web editor a line; hopefully, he can find Dunne's original in the system and fix it online.

The second half talks about Byrd challenging Ko Simpson at FS; I think he's wrong about Simpson even being in the mix, but we'll see. The money quote: "'Coming in,' Byrd said, 'they just want me to be a ball-hawk and do what I do.'"

FWIW, I've also seen Tyler's name in the sports pages of the Buffalo News this summer. Assuming he's one of their interns, congrats to him.

I like the style of whomever wrote that. Good job.

You wouldn't think he's still in college, would you? ('Cuse J-school.) The kid's got talent.

And courtesy of OTH Webmeister Dan LeBlanc, the full text is now online:

DUNNE: Bills new DB has genes on his side

Thanks, Dan. :thumbsup:

Lori, you never cease to amaze! :rolleyes:

From the article;

“When the ball’s in the air, I can’t even put it in words, but it’s something that came easy to me,” Byrd said. “Some people struggle with it, but catching the ball is just really natural for me.”

Maybe they'll use him on offense ala Deion Sanders. He has nowhere near the speed but it would make defenses think twice.

The second half talks about Byrd challenging Ko Simpson at FS; I think he's wrong about Simpson even being in the mix, but we'll see.

I have to agree. That is, unless something dramatic happens in TC. Simpson never really looked the same after the injury, and played himself out of the starting lineup last year. But I recall him making a bit of a comeback after getting back on the field, later in the season. I hope he makes the decision hard, but I suspect he will not.

I have to agree. That is, unless something dramatic happens in TC. Simpson never really looked the same after the injury, and played himself out of the starting lineup last year. But I recall him making a bit of a comeback after getting back on the field, later in the season. I hope he makes the decision hard, but I suspect he will not.

I've seen Simpson take some terrible angles on opposing RB's that allowed a 3-5 yard gain become a 15-20 yard gain. I think he's treading on thin ice come training camp. Good thing he's "worth millions". :thumbsup:

I've seen Simpson take some terrible angles on opposing RB's that allowed a 3-5 yard gain become a 15-20 yard gain. I think he's treading on thin ice come training camp. Good thing he's "worth millions". :thumbsup:

The thing is, he didn't take those bad angles when he was a rookie (at least to my recollection). I wonder if he is misjudging his speed, which looks to be slower than what it was before the injury. As I noted, he showed some improvement late in the year. Still, I think he will have to really impress to stick around.

Hopefully the Bills could trade him for a 7th rounder to someone.

Hopefully the Bills could trade him for a 7th rounder to someone.

I'm not sure why some are so anxious to throw out players so quickly. I guess he made a dumb comment, so we're through with him.

He's on his rookie contract, and is now a year removed from a very serious injury. Give the guy a chance in TC. His rookie year he played relatively well. His 2nd year was wiped out by serious injury. His 3rd year he admittedly regressed, perhaps related to the injury. At the least, he provides depth. Depending on what happens with Whitner, he very well could beat out a rookie and be our starter.