A sad day for me

Its ok...I am not offended by that in fact it is pretty realistic.

Ummm, yeah, because as a former high school football coach myself, if your son has a 2.7, and he couldn't get into a Division 1 program with that GPA, believe me, he's not even close to a pro caliber player. Usually if he is on the 1-AA level (which is still pretty good football and talent), then yeah, I can see the JUCO route, because most of those schools are usually more stringent to get into.

If most of the sure fire, high end, D-1 kids had a 2.7, they would be gobbled up quickly at any level. Although, the lower your GPA now, the higher your SAT has to be. But still, for a sure fire athete, a 2.7 is indeed well within school acceptance range. The school's coach could get that by admissions without much resistance at all if they really wanted the kid.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm, yeah, because as a former high school football coach myself, if your son has a 2.7, and he couldn't get into a Division 1 program with that GPA, believe me, he's not even close to a pro caliber player. Usually if he is on the 1-AA level (which is still pretty good football and talent), then yeah, I can see the JUCO route, because most of those schools are usually more stringent to get into.

If most of the sure fire, high end, D-1 kids had a 2.7, they would be gobbled up quickly at any level. Although, the lower your GPA now, the higher your SAT has to be. But still, for a sure fire athete, a 2.7 is indeed well within school acceptance range. The school's coach could get that by admissions without much resistance at all if they really wanted the kid.

Regarding the GPA....the 2.7 isn't the problem it is the courses he did badly in.

You have to pass certain courses as the higher schools dont take "D's" and so he would have to retake those courses in order to meet the actual school requirements. Its all a little complicated but he is "academically elighible" even though he didn't do well on his SAT but the GPA in the needed classes isn't there.

Theoretically its possible to do it but the advisor recommended against it for the reasons I listed in my original post. It doesnt have to do with his athletic ability......he is very talented. But it takes both areas which I failed to make him understand.

Regarding the GPA....the 2.7 isn't the problem it is the courses he did badly in.

You have to pass certain courses as the higher schools dont take "D's" and so he would have to retake those courses in order to meet the actual school requirements. Its all a little complicated but he is "academically elighible" even though he didn't do well on his SAT but the GPA in the needed classes isn't there.

Theoretically its possible to do it but the advisor recommended against it for the reasons I listed in my original post. It doesnt have to do with his athletic ability......he is very talented. But it takes both areas which I failed to make him understand.

OK, gotcha. His didn't do so hot in his core subjects. That's a whole new ballgame.

Oh yes....I freely admit that I totally want this for him.

The thing is.....I absolutely know that he wants to play FOOTBALL.......the thing that I see now is that the disconnect is he wants to play football much more then he wants to use it as an avenue to get a good education....where as the opposite is true for me.

What I have had a hard time getting him to understand is he doesn't get one without the other. I am hoping that yesterdays events shook him enough for him to realize that.

I would print out an 8x11 that says exactly that, and put it on the fridge, on his door, etc.

FOOTBALL & ACADEMICS. YOU DON'T GET ONE WITHOUT THE OTHER.

(Unless you go to UMiami or FSU....)

OK, gotcha. His didn't do so hot in his core subjects. That's a whole new ballgame.

There is a outside chance he could still get offered by a private school since they make their own GPA requirements......but right now all signs lead to JUCO.

I will say this......I wanted badly for him to get offered by a Div I AA or a II school.....but the truth is unless they paid for the whole thing I wouldn't have been able to afford it.......I am wondering if I got bailed out in that regard.

I dont know though.....I have a lot of medical conditions nowadays but I would have taken a second job to make it happen had he got offered.

...Theoretically its possible to do it but the advisor recommended against it for the reasons I listed in my original post. It doesnt have to do with his athletic ability......he is very talented. But it takes both areas which I failed to make him understand.

Doesn't sound like you failed at anything.

Your son thinks he is the smartest guy he knows, which isn't unusual at that age. Live and learn, maybe now he'll realize Pop knows what he is talking about.

Doesn't sound like you failed at anything.

Your son thinks he is the smartest guy he knows, which isn't unusual at that age. Live and learn, maybe now he'll realize Pop knows what he is talking about.

I will say this....I am totally guilty of being a male chauvanist when it comes to his school advisor......

I never talked to her about Brett because she is a female and I thought she wouldn't know @hit about the football side of things....but I was proven wrong and am humbled.....she knows those NCAA rules inside and out, follows the trends, and knows exactly what private schools he has a ghost chance of getting offered by.

What I did not realizae (and didn't ask) is she had two boys of her own that got recruited to play baseball....the first went straight to Div I while her other (lazy like my kid) boy went to a JUCO and got offered.

She had an insight on this that was so valuable to me.......

I will say this....I am totally guilty of being a male chauvanist when it comes to his school advisor......

I never talked to her about Brett because she is a female and I thought she wouldn't know @hit about the football side of things....but I was proven wrong and am humbled.....she knows those NCAA rules inside and out, follows the trends, and knows exactly what private schools he has a ghost chance of getting offered by.

What I did not realizae (and didn't ask) is she had two boys of her own that got recruited to play baseball....the first went straight to Div I while her other (lazy like my kid) boy went to a JUCO and got offered.

Is she hot?

I'm assuming in reference to if he'll make the NFL or not, and to that, I'll ask you what does that have to do with what you said? Thinking that he won't make it and saying that he definitely won't are two different things.

seeing that he does not have a D-1 scholarship at this point, no matter what his grades, is pretty indicative that he has no where near NFL caliber talent.

Actually Rock that is one of the things that I truly am having a hard time coping with.....I am NOT driving the car anymore......

I used to have a lot of influence and had a really good feeling about the way things were generally headed.....but not so much this past year.

I just want my kids to turn out well.....I dont want them to look back on their lives 10 years from now telling stories of "what could have been"

- I never finished high school and had to work 2 full time jobs to take care of my grandparents.....I eventually did go back to college before getting hurt (playing football) then joined the Air Force......

- My wife barely finished high school and never even considered going to college......she has a trade and does ok but......

sounds like a great foundation to home school the young'uns

There are many paths, John. I know you understand that. And I also think I understand why you are disappointed. He could have made this much easier on himself. But you also understand that this isn't the end of the road for him, rather it is still very much in the early stages.

Maybe he's one of us who needs to be knocked down a little to be built up. Perhaps this actually turns out to be the better option for him. Given the financial implications, it may be better for the family, too. He will be local, and you can keep your eye on things. Maybe he just isn't quite ready to make the move to a big school, and a bigger football program.

He (and you) are fortunate to have a knowledgeable and understanding school counselor for advice. Whether or not he is destined to play football at another level is still to be seen. The most important thing is he mature, be a good person, learn and prepare himself for the world, with or without football.

What is there to disagree about? The odds don't say his son "won't get into the NFL"... if they did, that would mean the numbers are 0 out of everyone make it to the NFL. Since the number is very small... the odds are that you probably will not make it, or that it will be very difficult. There's really no arguing facts.

Well given the fact that no division 1 college offered him a scholarship & he will be fortunate to find a JUCO to play for, I would say that making it to the NFL is probably a pipe dream at this point.

Well given the fact that no division 1 college offered him a scholarship & he will be fortunate to find a JUCO to play for, I would say that making it to the NFL is probably a pipe dream at this point.

Nobody is arguing that it isn't.

Can somebody please explain to me why folks are arguing whehter he is going to play in the NFL? I am really trying to wonder why it got to that point.

I am trying to make sure he gets an education......I never mentioned NFL one time in my original post. Maybe HE is thinking about it I certainly am not.

Remember what it was like to be 17 years old and have dreams?

Gordio,

I am not going to get into the NFL thing because that really isn't even part of my original post....but not getting offered by a Div 1 school really has nothing to do with talent level it has to do with academics....

He has been visiting Div I AA and NAIA schools and he didn't just show up and ask to look at the gym....he was invited. Then when he made it to the Max Preps All American Camp invite list (happening in July) things really started picking up. The Max Preps holds combines all over the US throughout the year...then they invite the top 30 percent performers of those camps to the All American combine.

Which is why its tearing my heart out....they ARE interested but will sour when they see his grades for this year.

There are many paths, John. I know you understand that. And I also think I understand why you are disappointed. He could have made this much easier on himself. But you also understand that this isn't the end of the road for him, rather it is still very much in the early stages.

Maybe he's one of us who needs to be knocked down a little to be built up. Perhaps this actually turns out to be the better option for him. Given the financial implications, it may be better for the family, too. He will be local, and you can keep your eye on things. Maybe he just isn't quite ready to make the move to a big school, and a bigger football program.

He (and you) are fortunate to have a knowledgeable and understanding school counselor for advice. Whether or not he is destined to play football at another level is still to be seen. The most important thing is he mature, be a good person, learn and prepare himself for the world, with or without football.

Dean,

I can always count on you to be the level headed non judgemental voice of reason when I post on here about personal stuff......thanks for your input

Gordio,

I am not going to get into the NFL thing because that really isn't even part of my original post....but not getting offered by a Div 1 school really has nothing to do with talent level it has to do with academics....

He has been visiting Div I AA and NAIA schools and he didn't just show up and ask to look at the gym....he was invited. Then when he made it to the Max Preps All American Camp invite list (happening in July) things really started picking up. The Max Preps holds combines all over the US throughout the year...then they invite the top 30 percent performers of those camps to the All American combine.

Which is why its tearing my heart out....they ARE interested but will sour when they see his grades for this year.

Gordio's point was that if the kid was talented enough to play at the D-I level, then the schools are going to find a way to get him in. GPA is a nice way of saying that the talent level isn't there.