A sad day for me

But you have to admit he does have a point. Anytime you feel your having a bad day, just click on that link. Poof you "bad" day all of a sudden seems so much brighter.

At least someone recognizes this!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea how to get this message across but it sure is the one you need to get through to him. In 4-5 years, he'll play his last pads/arena football game ever. But the education he gets during those years will carry him through the 50-60 years left in his life after that.

I am not one to wax on that a college education is worth a ton in the real world (outside the sciences). But--and it's a big but--a college degree opens doors that a high school diploma never will. It's not necessarily always fair but it's a fact.

I saw Justice Scalia interviewed about this once and I'll paraphrase his response and put quotes around it, even thought it's not precisely what he said. "I won't interview a person from a non-Ivy League school. I also won't interview anyone not in the top 5% of their class. Why bother? If a candidate is in the top 5% of the best schools in the country, the odds are that they are the best and brightest possible candidates to be a Supreme Court clerk. Is it always right? Of course not. But it's better to look for diamonds in a coal mine than a forest."

I'm sure he was both more eloquent and abrasive but you get the idea. That college degree matters.

My boss (well he was my boss until I got promoted) played football at Pitt. He was a punter. He took a financial planning course and his professor said you're going to need this course one way or another. Either you'll make it in the NFL and you'll need to know how to manage money or you'll be a statistic and you'll need a career. Of course the latter happened and he'll make so much more over his lifetime doing what he's doing now than he could ever imagine if he was a punter for a few years in the NFL. BTW he played with Reuben Brown and Alex Van Pelt and is still good friends with them today. He also tried out for the Bills in the early 90's

OJ did two years of JuCo before going to USC.

Your son isn't going to get into the NFL. He also doesn't need football to get a good education. Send him to JuCo and if he gets good grades he could get another type of scholarship to a 4 year school.

You seem to put all your hopes for your kids into unattainable ambitions. You want your son to be a pro football player and your daughter to be a professional recording artist. Why don't you just have them focus on getting good grades and pursuing decent careers?

I have no idea how to get this message across but it sure is the one you need to get through to him. In 4-5 years, he'll play his last pads/arena football game ever. But the education he gets during those years will carry him through the 50-60 years left in his life after that.

I am not one to wax on that a college education is worth a ton in the real world (outside the sciences). But--and it's a big but--a college degree opens doors that a high school diploma never will. It's not necessarily always fair but it's a fact.

I saw Justice Scalia interviewed about this once and I'll paraphrase his response and put quotes around it, even thought it's not precisely what he said. "I won't interview a person from a non-Ivy League school. I also won't interview anyone not in the top 5% of their class. Why bother? If a candidate is in the top 5% of the best schools in the country, the odds are that they are the best and brightest possible candidates to be a Supreme Court clerk. Is it always right? Of course not. But it's better to look for diamonds in a coal mine than a forest."

I'm sure he was both more eloquent and abrasive but you get the idea. That college degree matters.

While I agree with your basic point(s) Scalia represents all that is wrong about the Ivies (I have a degree from Cornell so I feel at liberty to say this). The quality of the education I received there was no better than my undergraduate one. Yes the resources were fantastic and the students were smart (and most were very driven). However, to suggest that top students from other schools are not deserving of consideration is short sighted and IMO stupid.

Not to mention over the years some of the most successful, talented and intelligent individuals I have ever met may not have even obtained a college degree at all.

With all of that said getting a college degree will, on average, make it easier for anyone to navigate life as we know it.

Your son isn't going to get into the NFL. He also doesn't need football to get a good education. Send him to JuCo and if he gets good grades he could get another type of scholarship to a 4 year school.

You seem to put all your hopes for your kids into unattainable ambitions. You want your son to be a pro football player and your daughter to be a professional recording artist. Why don't you just have them focus on getting good grades and pursuing decent careers?

So are have you scouted his son's entire football career, or are you just Ms. Cleo?

we will agree to disagree on the semantics

What is there to disagree about? The odds don't say his son "won't get into the NFL"... if they did, that would mean the numbers are 0 out of everyone make it to the NFL. Since the number is very small... the odds are that you probably will not make it, or that it will be very difficult. There's really no arguing facts.

Would you like to make a bet?

I'm assuming in reference to if he'll make the NFL or not, and to that, I'll ask you what does that have to do with what you said? Thinking that he won't make it and saying that he definitely won't are two different things.

While I agree with your basic point(s) Scalia represents all that is wrong about the Ivies (I have a degree from Cornell so I feel at liberty to say this). The quality of the education I received there was no better than my undergraduate one. Yes the resources were fantastic and the students were smart (and most were very driven). However, to suggest that top students from other schools are not deserving of consideration is short sighted and IMO stupid.

Not to mention over the years some of the most successful, talented and intelligent individuals I have ever met may not have even obtained a college degree at all.

With all of that said getting a college degree will, on average, make it easier for anyone to navigate life as we know it.

There's even more to the Scalia quote. As I recall now, it was an interview. (I think it was at lawprose.org but I'm not sure.) He admitted that one of his best clerks was someone who wasn't from an Ivy and freely knows that he's missing out on perhaps the best and brightest people out there. His point was one of efficiency: why search to dig out the bright guy who had a couple bad semesters when his mom was sick--or that is working 2 jobs while in school? Maybe those were the cause of the bad grades that made him slip out of the top 5% or not get into an Ivy but for every one of those people you meet, there are hundreds who are plain old B students.

By starting with the straight-A Ivy students, he gaurantees a certain level of hard work and intelligence. From there, he can interview and weed for the true genius.

You have to admit that your odds of bumping into an exceptionally bright person with straight As at Princeton are better than looking to the B+ students at Villanova. It's not a perfect formula but if you're looking to do it efficiently, his way makes sense. If the guy at Villanova is truly a genius, he'll do well anyway--just won't get the job with Scalia.

sometimes you have to take a comment in the spirit is was given, and not be so literal about it....sure there is a chance of him making the NFL...but if i had the money to do so, I would place that 'bet/certainty' now....and i hope this does not come across as a slam against John's son, that is not the intention....not sure how many people play high school football with dreams of playing college football...then those that play college football that have dreams of playing in the NFL...then those that are drafted(is is around 250 total)....and those that actually make a team.....

What is there to disagree about? The odds don't say his son "won't get into the NFL"... if they did, that would mean the numbers are 0 out of everyone make it to the NFL. Since the number is very small... the odds are that you probably will not make it, or that it will be very difficult. There's really no arguing facts.

I think it is great that people track my posts so closely as to remember my previous ones....it shows that you care as fellow bills fan and I thank you for that...... :rolleyes:

I think you are actually correct that he is not going to the NFL.....he is a undersized DE who has coverage ability so his natural position past high school is OLB. I am not sure if he will ever hit the height/weight proportions to get serious consideration past college.

My hopes are for my children to be successful in life no matter what they do.....that is why education and the ability to be self supportive are MY hopes for my children.....my son loves playing football and my daughter loves to perform.....both of them are fortunate enough to have legit chances at doing what they love.

I'm assuming in reference to if he'll make the NFL or not, and to that, I'll ask you what does that have to do with what you said? Thinking that he won't make it and saying that he definitely won't are two different things.

I think he won't make it to the NFL and I know he won't make it to the NFL.