Anchor Bar Question

Cole's are right there. And do not discount the Anchor Bar- especially if you're looking to get the full Buffalo experience, getting a seat in the live jazz room is always pleasant. Anchor Bar's wings are right there, it's just in a schitty part of town. And yes, it is a good restaurant, all of their food is good.

Only been to A-Bar once when I was back for a game a few years ago, but it seemed like a good place. Both the wings and the jazz where great.

We walked from there to Chippewa, so yeah, got to see some of the crappy part of town.

Damn it. Why'd you post that? Now I want a bucket of wings! :rolleyes:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You realize that's not how wings are ideally served? Another deduction for Duffs.

This varies from bar to bar, and restaurant to restaurant. As I like my wings stupid, over-the-top hot, I'm used to having a lot of sauce on my plate.

But even if Duffs may use too much sauce (you can ask them to hold back on the sauce) all "traditional Buffalo wings" should be served wet, to some degree. Many places outside of Buffalo don't understand how to properly coat the wing, and leave it wet. A dry wing, barely sauced, just doesn't make it.

At the risk of being burned at the stake as a heretic, the recipe for baked wings on the side of a Frank's bottle gives a decent, crisp wing, with little mess. Useful when you have the urge, the raw wings, and no other ready source.

tips:

Cut'em up, rinse and pat off the moisture.

Put foil on the baking pan. I shake on a bit of paprika before baking.

turn them halfway during baking.

Bake them until they reach the crispness you prefer.

Don't oil them up, thinking the oil will sizzle and crisp. The wing fat itself will do that. If you oil them up, they will be soggy.

Do not move them up to the broiler after the bake is finished. They will ignite and burn in seconds.

I shake'em with some Franks, a pat of melted oleo, a bit of ground pepper, tumeric, marjoram, salt, and parsley flakes. Add some flamethrower sauce or cayenne if buzzing lips are your goal. :rolleyes:

heretic .... burning at the stake would be too kind

Not everyone likes Duffs. Their wings tend to be relatively dry/crispy. If you like your wings like that, then you'll probably like Duffs. If you like your wings more saucy, you might not like Duffs.

that's true

with all due respect, let's pick another fun food such as pizza. i've had the traditional italian pizza, with sauce and no cheese on large oven-baked flatbread, and that's fine. and yet, i prefer going to places like regina's in boston or casa in buffalo and having cheese and pepperoni added to it.

i'm sure there are some old-school italians who likely shudder and question what's become of their pie ... while many others consider it to be an improvement.

and i'm not saying i prefer wings slathered in sauce, i'm suggesting that it's a matter of taste.

i prefer the duff wing over the anchor wing.

now when it comes to hamburgers, the Buff News was close to being on target in its rankings last year: vizzy's on kenmore ave. is the best in town.

jw

Some people like teriyaki wings, and some like them breaded, and some like to dip it in ranch sauce. All a matter of personal preference, but I still reserve the right to say heretic <_<

Some people like teriyaki wings, and some like them breaded, and some like to dip it in ranch sauce. All a matter of personal preference, but I still reserve the right to say heretic <_<

There are lots of different ways to make flavorful wings. The good people at Anchor Bar weren't the first people ever to cook the wing,

But if a place chooses to call their wings "Buffalo" wings, there are some definite "dos" and "don'ts". Breading the wing is right out! (ie, Major don't). To that, you should say "Heretic!"

There are lots of different ways to make flavorful wings. The good people at Anchor Bar weren't the first people ever to cook the wing,

But if a place chooses to call their wings "Buffalo" wings, there are some definite "dos" and "don'ts". Breading the wing is right out! (ie, Major don't). To that, you should say "Heretic!"

I've been to places that only serve their "Buffalo" wings with ranch dressing. Another major don't!

I am curious. I am from Ontario and I always get the wings from there but I was wondering is the rest of their food good? I always want to try something different but I don't go often enough to order something different.

5 pages about wings, when you explicitly asked about food other than wings. Amazing.

Anyway. Had a burger at Anchor once; wasn't impressed, but it wasn't horrible, either.

"Don't tell me what I can do, or I'll have my mustache eat your beard." -Wing Fat (What's Up Tiger Lily? -1966)

Thank you !

I revel in arcane facts. Seriously.

Picture sitting in some chairs with companionable friends in some sort of pastoral setting. Birds tweeting in the distance. The lilac are in bloom. The food and drinks have worked a sonorous, sedative quietude.

Under the warmth of a pleasant sun, one of the collection stirs, and with eyes remaining shut, utters

"I say, did you know that Prince Albert had a supernumerary toe?"

<_<

Thank you !

I revel in arcane facts. Seriously.

Picture sitting in some chairs with companionable friends in some sort of pastoral setting. Birds tweeting in the distance. The lilac are in bloom. The food and drinks have worked a sonorous, sedative quietude.

Under the warmth of a pleasant sun, one of the collection stirs, and with eyes remaining shut, utters

"I say, did you know that Prince Albert had a supernumerary toe?"

<_<

That was a thing of beauty. I'll be chuckling for weeks.

And they wonder why the Empire collapsed of its own weight.

I've been to places that only serve their "Buffalo" wings with ranch dressing. Another major don't!

I agree with you 100%. Outside of Buffalo and western New York the vast majority of chicken wing/pizza joints serve ranch on the side instead of bleu cheese. Since I moved out of Blo in 91 i've tried wings and or pizza from 100+ different places throughout Florida and California(I currently live in San Diego) and I couldn't find one place that even compares to any Buffalo style pizzeria. I'm sure most ex Buffalonians feel the same frustration as well but finally my brothers, a friend of mine(also from Blo), and I are in the process of trying to buck that trend by opening up a Buffalo style pizzeria initially in Miami then San Diego. Right now we're in the beginning stages of our planning but we have completed a menu/taste that's part La Novas, Just Pizza, and Jim's Steakout, a catchy business name, and a theme look. Our target date for grand opening is next year. For those interested I will keep you updated.

We went to Boston for a school field trip when I was in the 8th grade and stopped at a restaurant to eat dinner. They had Buffalo Wings at the buffet and they were served breaded with marinara sauce...i was like WTF is this???

We went to Boston for a school field trip when I was in the 8th grade and stopped at a restaurant to eat dinner. They had Buffalo Wings at the buffet and they were served breaded with marinara sauce...i was like WTF is this???

Did you set the place afire? Because that would almost have been justified.

I agree with you 100%. Outside of Buffalo and western New York the vast majority of chicken wing/pizza joints serve ranch on the side instead of bleu cheese. Since I moved out of Blo in 91 i've tried wings and or pizza from 100+ different places throughout Florida and California(I currently live in San Diego) and I couldn't find one place that even compares to any Buffalo style pizzeria. I'm sure most ex Buffalonians feel the same frustration as well but finally my brothers, a friend of mine(also from Blo), and I are in the process of trying to buck that trend by opening up a Buffalo style pizzeria initially in Miami then San Diego. Right now we're in the beginning stages of our planning but we have completed a menu/taste that's part La Novas, Just Pizza, and Jim's Steakout, a catchy business name, and a theme look. Our target date for grand opening is next year. For those interested I will keep you updated.

There used to be a place called Buffalo Pizza and Wings in Deltona, Fl. that was owned by a brother of the owner of Just Pizza. Their last names were Domino, I believe. He had all of his stuff shipped down. Great food, big screen TV, Labatt, the works! It's closed now, though.

Also, there's a Santora's in Daytona Beach that has the same menu as the Santora's in Tonawanda, minus the "Phase ll" part. Food's pretty good, tastes almost the same.

Other than that, Pizza places around here (centeral Fl.) are pretty mainstream and redundant...

There used to be a place called Buffalo Pizza and Wings in Deltona, Fl. that was owned by a brother of the owner of Just Pizza. Their last names were Domino, I believe. He had all of his stuff shipped down. Great food, big screen TV, Labatt, the works! It's closed now, though.

Also, there's a Santora's in Daytona Beach that has the same menu as the Santora's in Tonawanda, minus the "Phase ll" part. Food's pretty good, tastes almost the same.

Other than that, Pizza places around here (centeral Fl.) are pretty mainstream and redundant...

I just looked it up. The franchisor of Just Pizza is Rudy Alloy and Danny Domino owns several locations in the Buffalo area. Just Pizza also has a location in Sarasota Florida and is planning to open one up in Las Vegas as well. I'm surprised that Buffalo Pizza in Deltona went out of business considering they probably had better food than all of its competitors. It seems the people in Deltona have no clue about good food. Why did it go out of business?