Anchor Bar Question

can't say that I am an expert...

but Anchor Bar blows!

I ordered a burger there one time, and it came out like a charbroiled hockey puck. I really don't know why so many transplants rave about that place.

I love Buffalo Brew Pub in Williamsville (rotisserie chicken is awesome), and Pearl Street Grille. Both have a great atmosphere and the food is excellent.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a big fan of duff's myself. If you like your wings really crispy they are very good. I actually cut my upper plate of mouth on a wing from there, and prefer a wing that has allot of sauce rather than super crispy myself.

John and Mary's is more my style of wings, but can see why people love duff's.

I agree on the Duff's thing....I think Anchor Bar still has the best...worth the wait? Not sure....

can't say that I am an expert...

but Anchor Bar blows!

I ordered a burger there one time, and it came out like a charbroiled hockey puck. I really don't know why so many transplants rave about that place.

I love Buffalo Brew Pub in Williamsville (rotisserie chicken is awesome), and Pearl Street Grille. Both have a great atmosphere and the food is excellent.

Chicken wings would not exist without the Anchor bar.

I am curious. I am from Ontario and I always get the wings from there but I was wondering is the rest of their food good? I always want to try something different but I don't go often enough to order something different.

to answer the original poster's question (which had nothing to do about Anchor Bar vs. Duff's or anywhere else for that matter ... sheesh!), you might want to try their beef on weck or pizza.

then again, i've had better at other places. Duff's beef on weck (only had it at OP location) was extremely good. and there's always Charlie The Butcher, though it's too bad that he's no longer at Wegman's. as for pizza, make mine Casa (even though it's way too greasy, it's dang tasty).

as for good wings, The Swannie House (depending on who's cooking) might have some of the best BBQ wings around.

proceed.

jw

ADD: almost forgot, the Lafayette Tap Room down the street from Pilot Field/Dunn Tire Park/Coca Cola whatever at Jimmy Griffin Place is also a solid contender for wings.

For the OP, anchor bar has some good sandwiches, which I usually go for in lieu of the wings.

As for Duff's, I can't get them to make me a crispy wing; they're always soggy and drenched...not a big fan.

Also, I can't believe I've seen so many responses, and a lot from Amherst no less, without one mention of Elmo's. Elmo's is on Millersport in the plaza next to John & Mary's. Outstanding wings! Huge, flavorful, and you can get them mild, medium, hot, x-hot, bbq, honey mustard, or cajun. Also, they sauce them after frying and then grill them, which gives them a nice crispy exterior but retains the sauci-ness. IMO, they're a must have.

Also, Grover's on Transit has good wings, but they tend to get over-shadowed by the amazing-ness of their burgers.

Personally, I have only been to the Amherst location and have never been disappointed. They are definitely not dry there, if anything they are too saucy. An order of hot wings are literally swimming in sauce and if you like really really hot, the death wings may very well be the hottest around. Are they the best wings in the Buffalo area? That's debatable. I don't consider them the best, but they are definitely in the top 5...

You realize that's not how wings are ideally served? Another deduction for Duffs.

For the OP, anchor bar has some good sandwiches, which I usually go for in lieu of the wings.

As for Duff's, I can't get them to make me a crispy wing; they're always soggy and drenched...not a big fan.

Also, I can't believe I've seen so many responses, and a lot from Amherst no less, without one mention of Elmo's. Elmo's is on Millersport in the plaza next to John & Mary's. Outstanding wings! Huge, flavorful, and you can get them mild, medium, hot, x-hot, bbq, honey mustard, or cajun. Also, they sauce them after frying and then grill them, which gives them a nice crispy exterior but retains the sauci-ness. IMO, they're a must have.

Also, Grover's on Transit has good wings, but they tend to get over-shadowed by the amazing-ness of their burgers.

I mentioned Elmo's earlier, they do have good wings. Grover's is a little known good wing spot as well.

You realize that's not how wings are ideally served? Another deduction for Duffs.

Yes, I am from Buffalo. I usually get the medium hot from Duff's, I am not a fan of picking the wings out of sauce. But it seems to just be the hot and extra hot...

to answer the original poster's question (which had nothing to do about Anchor Bar vs. Duff's or anywhere else for that matter ... sheesh!), you might want to try their beef on weck or pizza.

then again, i've had better at other places. Duff's beef on weck (only had it at OP location) was extremely good. and there's always Charlie The Butcher, though it's too bad that he's no longer at Wegman's. as for pizza, make mine Casa (even though it's way too greasy, it's dang tasty).

as for good wings, The Swannie House (depending on who's cooking) might have some of the best BBQ wings around.

proceed.

jw

ADD: almost forgot, the Lafayette Tap Room down the street from Pilot Field/Dunn Tire Park/Coca Cola whatever at Jimmy Griffin Place is also a solid contender for wings.

True about the threadjack, but it's the normal outcome whenever someone says ANYTHING about Anchor or Duff's. Nice that a couple of people actually did answer the question, though. :rolleyes:

And I love these threads, because as a non-Buffalonian, I can add to my list of places I need to visit up there. Heck, I drive right past the Audubon just before I get to Mom's place, and I've never been inside the joint -- an sin of omission I'll definitely atone for over the Fourth.

I mentioned Elmo's earlier, they do have good wings. Grover's is a little known good wing spot as well.

Ah, I must've missed that, you have good taste.

Grover's wings are great too, but they're not on the same level as their burgers. I could eat a GroverBurger every day; huge, delicious, quick, and unbelievably cheap (like $7.50 for a 12 oz. burger with cheddar cheese, onions, bacon, and bbq sauce). I also like that they're a cash-only joint. Only problem is that everybody and their brother in East Amherst goes there during the summer, so you have to call ahead like 40 minutes before you go or you'll be waiting forever.

Ah, I must've missed that, you have good taste.

Grover's wings are great too, but they're not on the same level as their burgers. I could eat a GroverBurger every day; huge, delicious, quick, and unbelievably cheap (like $7.50 for a 12 oz. burger with cheddar cheese, onions, bacon, and bbq sauce). I also like that they're a cash-only joint. Only problem is that everybody and their brother in East Amherst goes there during the summer, so you have to call ahead like 40 minutes before you go or you'll be waiting forever.

I'll usually split a burger and order of wings when I go to Grover's, it's a nice little 1-2 punch. Good stuff! And surprising enough, Rock Bottom (across the street from Grover's) was voted best burger in this years "best of" edition of the Buffalo Spree. I'll have to try that sometime this summer, they have a nice patio...

True about the threadjack, but it's the normal outcome whenever someone says ANYTHING about Anchor or Duff's. Nice that a couple of people actually did answer the question, though. :thumbsup:

And I love these threads, because as a non-Buffalonian, I can add to my list of places I need to visit up there. Heck, I drive right past the Audubon just before I get to Mom's place, and I've never been inside the joint -- an sin of omission I'll definitely atone for over the Fourth.

sorry, it came off ornery, but wasn't meant to be ... i was hoping people would see through it when i went on and listed my favorites, further jacking said thread. guess i should've inserted one of them ubiquitous faces ... :rolleyes:

jw

sorry, it came off ornery, but wasn't meant to be ... i was hoping people would see through it when i went on and listed my favorites, further jacking said thread. guess i should've inserted one of them ubiquitous faces ... :rolleyes:

jw

Ornery? Not at all. Hmm ... wonder how insanely busy the LTR will be before the July 3 Bisons game?

An aside about the naming-rights thing: Early on, right after Pilot Field (I think), it was North AmeriCare Park for a while -- unless you listened to Ed Kilgore. He refused to use that moniker, sticking with "the downtown ballpark" whenever he talked about a Bisons game. I always liked him for doing that ...

True about the threadjack, but it's the normal outcome whenever someone says ANYTHING about Anchor or Duff's. Nice that a couple of people actually did answer the question, though. :thumbsup:

At the risk of being burned at the stake as a heretic, the recipe for baked wings on the side of a Frank's bottle gives a decent, crisp wing, with little mess. Useful when you have the urge, the raw wings, and no other ready source.

tips:

Cut'em up, rinse and pat off the moisture.

Put foil on the baking pan. I shake on a bit of paprika before baking.

turn them halfway during baking.

Bake them until they reach the crispness you prefer.

Don't oil them up, thinking the oil will sizzle and crisp. The wing fat itself will do that. If you oil them up, they will be soggy.

Do not move them up to the broiler after the bake is finished. They will ignite and burn in seconds.

I shake'em with some Franks, a pat of melted oleo, a bit of ground pepper, tumeric, marjoram, salt, and parsley flakes. Add some flamethrower sauce or cayenne if buzzing lips are your goal. :rolleyes:

Not by old school Buffalonian's it's not :rolleyes: There are some time honored truisms on the proper buffalo wing. Might as well bread your wings as well :thumbsup:

with all due respect, let's pick another fun food such as pizza. i've had the traditional italian pizza, with sauce and no cheese on large oven-baked flatbread, and that's fine. and yet, i prefer going to places like regina's in boston or casa in buffalo and having cheese and pepperoni added to it.

i'm sure there are some old-school italians who likely shudder and question what's become of their pie ... while many others consider it to be an improvement.

and i'm not saying i prefer wings slathered in sauce, i'm suggesting that it's a matter of taste.

i prefer the duff wing over the anchor wing.

now when it comes to hamburgers, the Buff News was close to being on target in its rankings last year: vizzy's on kenmore ave. is the best in town.

jw