Anchor Bar Question

expand your horizons and give the Audubon North, on Sweethome road in amherst a try next time. it's a dive bar but the food is the best around...everything made right there on site......the chicken fingers are actual chicken breasts cut, breaded and fried......not frozen from a package....and the wings are big, to die for, and cheap!!!.....they have a 20 wings and pitcher of beer special for something like $15 i think.......certainly under $20......and usually a competent, but also attractive, female bartender......

I second the Audubon. Great place.

Not everyone likes Duffs. Their wings tend to be relatively dry/crispy. If you like your wings like that, then you'll probably like Duffs. If you like your wings more saucy, you might not like Duffs.

Lots of places in WNY have good/great wings. I haven't been to Hemmingways downtown in many years, but every time I had wings there they were big and great.

Really?

It's been my experience that Duff's tends to over sauce. Been there plenty of times with plenty of people and the only time I've heard the word "dry" is someone ordering that way to counteract the normal soaking. :wacko:

Also to any wing aficionados, please check out these places as well:

The Pub, Broadway in Depew (near Transit)

Rhinos, Southwestern, OP (Right by the stadium!)

Mamosers, Hamburg. (Nuff said!)

All offer unique experiences, but out of the three, be forewarned about the "hot" at Rhinos. :rolleyes:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the Audubon. Great place.

Really?

It's been my experience that Duff's tends to over sauce. Been there plenty of times with plenty of people and the only time I've heard the word "dry" is someone ordering that way to counteract the normal soaking. :wacko:

Also to any wing aficionados, please check out these places as well:

The Pub, Broadway in Depew (near Transit)

Rhinos, Southwestern, OP (Right by the stadium!)

Mamosers, Hamburg. (Nuff said!)

All offer unique experiences, but out of the three, be forewarned about the "hot" at Rhinos. :rolleyes:

Never been dry? Been dragged to Duff's about 6 times, and was always dry and crispy no matter how I ordered it, or how many times I sent it back. It did have good amount of sauce on it it looked like, cause skin was died reddish, but was baked off looked like, but could taste the sauce for sure.

I prefer Anchor Bars wings personally, but I go to Duffs more because it's convenient. Duffs on Sheridan drive has better wings than the one in West Seneca, but West Seneca has the better atmosphere. The waitresses are way hotter at the West Seneca Duffs also. The best wings I've had to date were at Shannon Pub. Big Tree Inn has some tasty wings as well. Getting back to your original question about the Anchor Bars food I can tell you that their pizza sucks. Maybe the worst pizza in the area.

never had dry wings at Duff's...they've always had lots of sauce everytime I've gone.

I 2nd Rhino's....great job on their wings and their Buffalo Chicken Pizza is stupendous, IMO\

Big Tree is outstanding, too...had some wings there after the draft day party...1st time I'd been in there for more than a few minutes in about a decade or so

expand your horizons and give the Audubon North, on Sweethome road in amherst a try next time. it's a dive bar but the food is the best around...everything made right there on site......the chicken fingers are actual chicken breasts cut, breaded and fried......not frozen from a package....and the wings are big, to die for, and cheap!!!.....they have a 20 wings and pitcher of beer special for something like $15 i think.......certainly under $20......and usually a competent, but also attractive, female bartender......
Seriously? Never been in there, but it's within staggering distance of my mom's house. Maybe I'll have to check it out sometime.

I grew up in Amherst but have never been there. When I was living in that area, one place that was always mentioned as having great wings was Rootie's Pump Room on Stahl near Millersport. They were excellent and always had framed newspaper articles from all the entertainment mags reviewing their wings. Funny no one on any of these threads has mentioned them. Are they still in business because that place used to always be busy and the wings were awesome.

Big Tree Inn has good wings also.

One seriously great place for wings, fingers, fries (steak fries) and beef on weck is McBee's Old Time Tavern at 3284 Sheridan Drive in Amherst. It's in a plaza near the corner of North Bailey. They have an old wooden bar from NYC and lots of old booths. I guess it's like that place on Transit, Brennan's in that it's in a plaza but when you walk in, you feel transformed back into time. Anyways, the food is excellent and the beer is served in big frosted mugs.

I also mentioned Bar Bill Tavern in East Aurora. Excellent food, ambience, wings, and beer in frosted mugs.

I grew up in Amherst but have never been there. When I was living in that area, one place that was always mentioned as having great wings was Rootie's Pump Room on Stahl near Millersport. They were excellent and always had framed newspaper articles from all the entertainment mags reviewing their wings. Funny no one on any of these threads has mentioned them. Are they still in business because that place used to always be busy and the wings were awesome.

I think that Rootie's closed a couple years ago...but I guess there's one in Getzville now

If you want the best wings goi to the 9-11 tavern in So.Bflo.

It"s on Bloomfield Ave. off of So.Park Ave.

I have a policeman friend who is stationed in the theather dist.

who

has a weekly run to the tavern for the the wings.

Big Tree Inn has good wings also.

One seriously great place for wings, fingers, fries (steak fries) and beef on weck is McBee's Old Time Tavern at 3284 Sheridan Drive in Amherst. It's in a plaza near the corner of North Bailey. They have an old wooden bar from NYC and lots of old booths. I guess it's like that place on Transit, Brennan's in that it's in a plaza but when you walk in, you feel transformed back into time. Anyways, the food is excellent and the beer is served in big frosted mugs.

I also mentioned Bar Bill Tavern in East Aurora. Excellent food, ambience, wings, and beer in frosted mugs.

Definitely Bar Bills- we stop there on the way to O.P. for the Bill's home games. Better than Anchor (and better than anything in New Jersey).

I am curious. I am from Ontario and I always get the wings from there but I was wondering is the rest of their food good? I always want to try something different but I don't go often enough to order something different.

Did anyone answer your question? :nana:

I haven't been there in years, and like most I prefer Duffs, Gabriel's Gate, Mister Dees, and other places to Anchor Bar.

But with that said, back when I went to Anchor Bar (on occasion...they had live jazz some nights) their food was like the wings, acceptable but nothing special. I don't know that I had the pasta, but I have had other food there, and it was OK. Not terrible, or great.

i was just thinking about rootie's. back in the day they finished them on the grill with some franks and homemade BBQ sauce. hot damn!