Best All Round Athlete

Bo was hurt the previous week, not in Buffalo. He does however, get my vote for best pro athlete. Deion was

a horrific tackler and an average, at best, baseball player. Bo excelled in both sports.

Bo gets my vote as well. I still haven't seen that combo of power and speed 20 years later.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say Deion Sanders. I mean the guy did it all. He Played 10 seasons in MLB and 11 years in the NFL ( I may be aff by a year or two in both categories) He is the only player to not only play in a World Series and a Super Bowl, but to also hit a home run in MLB and score an NFL touchdown in the same week. In college, Sanders played football, baseball and track. On one occasion, on a day with a double header baseball game he played the first game, then went and competed in the schools 4x100 relay and then returned to play the second baseball game!

I don't think there is another athlete that comes close. He also "allegedly" ran a 4.16 40 yard dash. Also, remember the Pizza Hut commercial where he responds to Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones questions ("Football or baseball?" and "Offense or defense?") with "both!!"

I am interested in everyones take on this.

OJ was great at most sports...as was Jim Brown.

In there perspective sports you could go with folks like Micheal Jordon, Tiger Woods, Babe Ruth, Wayne Gretzky, Muhammed Ali, Jim Brown, or Jerry Rice, I mean are we talking best all around athletic ability or versatility?

Can we say Dion Sanders or Bo Jackson is a better all around athlete then Michael Jordon?

Tiger Woods?? I nominate Rick Musialowski.-Who I think was a superior athlete.At least a bowling ball weighs 16 LBs.

Mickey Mantle deserves some mention.

The man hit a dead ball 564 feet with no steroids, and he was the fastest man in MLB from home to first. He was offered a scholarship to play football at Oklahome U, and did play some basketball in HS.

Realistically, he was probably a step below Chamberlain and perhaps Bo, but Mantle was still superb.

Hmm. Some very interesting responses in here.

I was glad to see Wilt Chamberlain get mentioned. He was known for his basketball prowess, but he also was a very fast and incredibly strong athlete. Meadowlark Lemmon once said of how Chamberlain, when he was playing w/ the Harlem Globetrotters, could throw him up in the air and catch him. Lemon was 'bout 210 @ the time. Wow.

Here's my short list (haha, yeah right):

Olympians

Jim Thorpe

Rafer Johnson

Jesse Owens

Carl Lewis

Babe Didrickson Zaharias

Jackie Joyner Kersee

Wilma Rudolph

Football

Jim Brown

Tony Gonzalez

Deion Sanders

Bo Jackson

Baseball

Willie Mays

Roberto Clemente

James Bell

Basketball

Wilt Chamberlain

Michael Jordan

Kobe Bryant

Hakeem Olajuwon

Other Sports

Tiger Woods

Bjorn Borg

Michael Chang

Roger Federer

Muhammad Ali

Sugar Ray Robinson

Mickey Mantle deserves some mention.

The man hit a dead ball 564 feet with no steroids, and he was the fastest man in MLB from home to first. He was offered a scholarship to play football at Oklahome U, and did play some basketball in HS.

Realistically, he was probably a step below Chamberlain and perhaps Bo, but Mantle was still superb.

Although you're probably right, I'll just play devil's advocate: There are documented cases of performance-enhancing drugs in baseball all the way back to the 1880s, like the infamous Pud Gavin's.

I was glad to see Wilt Chamberlain get mentioned. He was known for his basketball prowess, but he also was a very fast and incredibly strong athlete. Meadowlark Lemmon once said of how Chamberlain, when he was playing w/ the Harlem Globetrotters, could throw him up in the air and catch him. Lemon was 'bout 210 @ the time. Wow.

Olympians

Jim Thorpe

Rafer Johnson

Jesse Owens

Carl Lewis

Babe Didrickson Zaharias

Jackie Joyner Kersee

Wilma Rudolph

Football

Jim Brown

Tony Gonzalez

Deion Sanders

Bo Jackson

Baseball

Willie Mays

Roberto Clemente

James Bell

Basketball

Wilt Chamberlain

Michael Jordan

Kobe Bryant

Hakeem Olajuwon

Other Sports

Tiger Woods

Bjorn Borg

Michael Chang

Roger Federer

Muhammad Ali

Sugar Ray Robinson

Nice to see Clemente make your list, Rich.

:thumbsup:

Olympians

Jim Thorpe

Rafer Johnson

Jesse Owens

Carl Lewis

Babe Didrickson Zaharias

Jackie Joyner Kersee

Wilma Rudolph

Football

Jim Brown

Tony Gonzalez

Deion Sanders

Bo Jackson

Baseball

Willie Mays

Roberto Clemente

James Bell

Basketball

Wilt Chamberlain

Michael Jordan

Kobe Bryant

Hakeem Olajuwon

Other Sports

Tiger Woods

Bjorn Borg

Michael Chang

Roger Federer

Muhammad Ali

Sugar Ray Robinson

Kelly Slater... introduced surfing "outside" of the typical wave zone...

Olympic Lifting- Dave Rigert formally the USSR

Olympians

Jim Thorpe

Rafer Johnson

Jesse Owens

Carl Lewis

Babe Didrickson Zaharias

Jackie Joyner Kersee

Wilma Rudolph

Football

Jim Brown

Tony Gonzalez

Deion Sanders

Bo Jackson

Baseball

Willie Mays

Roberto Clemente

James Bell

Basketball

Wilt Chamberlain

Michael Jordan

Kobe Bryant

Hakeem Olajuwon

Other Sports

Tiger Woods

Bjorn Borg

Michael Chang

Roger Federer

Muhammad Ali

Sugar Ray Robinson

Michael Chang?

Tiger Woods??-Michael Jordan never lost a one on one basketball game to a fat guy with man boobs.

Michael Chang?

Yes. Watching the guy chase shots all over the court @ the French Open was awesome. Rarely have I seen that kinda hustle in a tennis match.

Tiger Woods??-Michael Jordan never lost a one on one basketball game to a fat guy with man boobs.

To the best of my knowledge, Jordan never won THE major golf title on a broken leg, either.

Dave Winfield drafted in three sports.

Randy Smith who excelled in basketball, soccer and track.

John Elway was drafted in two sports (football and baseball)

Since I have to choose I will chose Jim Thorpe. He excelled in so much and he got screwed.

Yes. Watching the guy chase shots all over the court @ the French Open was awesome. Rarely have I seen that kinda hustle in a tennis match.

To the best of my knowledge, Jordan never won THE major golf title on a broken leg, either.

the fact that he won a golf title with a broken leg proves that golf isnt a sport. And NO Duffy Waldorf never beat Michael Jordan one on one.

Olympians

Jim Thorpe

Rafer Johnson

Jesse Owens

Carl Lewis

Babe Didrickson Zaharias

Jackie Joyner Kersee

Wilma Rudolph

Football

Jim Brown

Tony Gonzalez

Deion Sanders

Bo Jackson

Baseball

Willie Mays

Roberto Clemente

James Bell

Basketball

Wilt Chamberlain

Michael Jordan

Kobe Bryant

Hakeem Olajuwon

Other Sports

Tiger Woods

Bjorn Borg

Michael Chang

Roger Federer

Muhammad Ali

Sugar Ray Robinson

Golf is not a sport. Hitting a stationary ball with no one at all even in the form of noise interfering isn't a sport. OH BUT ITS ON ESPN yeah well so is Poker and Dominoes. OH BUT YOU CAN'T DO WHAT THEY DO I WANT YOU SEE YOU DO IT well I can't juggle does that make juggling a sport? Comparing Tiger Woods to Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Martian Brodeur, Hank Arron, or any great NFL player is insulting them.

Golf is not a sport. Hitting a stationary ball with no one at all even in the form of noise interfering isn't a sport. OH BUT ITS ON ESPN yeah well so is Poker and Dominoes. OH BUT YOU CAN'T DO WHAT THEY DO I WANT YOU SEE YOU DO IT well I can't juggle does that make juggling a sport? Comparing Tiger Woods to Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Martian Brodeur, Hank Arron, or any great NFL player is insulting them.

hear hear....-a great skill..like bowling(altho requiring less exertion) or darts or skeet shooting or shuffleboard

LMAO, how about we compare Tiger Woods to David Wells, Langston Walker, and Shawn Bradley. Golf is a sport. You don't have to be a great athlete to play or even in great condition, but it certainly helps. Much like baseball, the game revolves around having great eye hand coordination and concentration. I understand your argument but I think it's just a different kind of sport.

You go around calling it "not a sport", and then you don't even bother to state your definition of "sport". My definition is any physical activity governed by a specific set of rules or customs and engaged in competitively.

By my definition, golf is a sport. What's your definition?

LMAO, how about we compare Tiger Woods to David Wells, Langston Walker, and Shawn Bradley. Golf is a sport. You don't have to be a great athlete to play or even in great condition, but it certainly helps. Much like baseball, the game revolves around having great eye hand coordination and concentration. I understand your argument but I think it's just a different kind of sport.

then darts and shuffleboard and curling are sports...as long as we have defined our terms