For all of the armchair GM's - what are the five most

My list - in order:

• QB
    Pass rush DE
    LT
    Center
    Interior DL (nose or DT depending on system)

In my book it all comes down to line play - if you have an efficient QB and very solid lines the other positions will by default play or look better. I also think it is possible to drop QB to the bottom of the list if you have an exceptionally solid o-line.

My list - in order:

• QB
    Pass rush DE
    LT
    Center
    Interior DL (nose or DT depending on system)

In my book it all comes down to line play - if you have an efficient QB and very solid lines the other positions will by default play or look better. I also think it is possible to drop QB to the bottom of the list if you have an exceptionally solid o-line.

Punter

Center

Kicker

Long snapper

Middle linebacker.

Five most important positions if you're a GM? If I were to be handed a team as the GM, and told "you've got 3yrs to build a contender", then I'd start right off on the lines. I'd get the biggest and most able DT's, and a couple good pressure DE's. I'd put together the toughest, nastiest O-line I could find. In fact, I'd bring in a crazy amount of candidates on both lines, and narrow it down through the off season. If you could come out of year one with two solid lines to build on, everything after that becomes easier. After that, I'd take the best available men to fill the remaining positions for the next few years, stressing QB and RB. My top five: DT, OT, OG, DE, QB

Five most important positions if you're a GM? If I were to be handed a team as the GM, and told "you've got 3yrs to build a contender", then I'd start right off on the lines. I'd get the biggest and most able DT's, and a couple good pressure DE's. I'd put together the toughest, nastiest O-line I could find. In fact, I'd bring in a crazy amount of candidates on both lines, and narrow it down through the off season. If you could come out of year one with two solid lines to build on, everything after that becomes easier. After that, I'd take the best available men to fill the remaining positions for the next few years, stressing QB and RB. My top five: DT, OT, OG, DE, QB

I agree with almost everything you say. Qb is still the most important position on the field. Ideally your plan is perfect. Build the lines and then bring in the skill players. However, if you have the ability to bring in a franchise Qb you do it, regardless of whether or not it fits your time table. The great NFL quarterbacks are what make teams into consistent winners. I also put a little more emphasis on finding that number 1 wideout as opposed to number one RB.

My list:

1. QB

2. DE

3. WR

4. LT

5. DT

I agree with almost everything you say. Qb is still the most important position on the field. Ideally your plan is perfect. Build the lines and then bring in the skill players. However, if you have the ability to bring in a franchise Qb you do it, regardless of whether or not it fits your time table. The great NFL quarterbacks are what make teams into consistent winners. I also put a little more emphasis on finding that number 1 wideout as opposed to number one RB.

My list:

1. QB

2. DE

3. WR

4. LT

5. DT

I didn't include WR because I can think of instances where great qbs didn't have such great receivers and they still won.

Per Bill Polian:

1.) QB

2.) DE

3.) LT

4.) RB

5.) WR

Polian and I both agree that games are won and lost up front. Line play is key; always has been, always will be. But only in that good OL play allows you to protect your most important position while allowing the QB to exploit the talents of his RB and WR to the fullest while good DL play is needed for the opposite: to STOP the other team's most important position from utilizing his RB and WR to their fullest.

That's not to take place of the importance of turnovers and special teams play. They are 'game changing' dynamics that often dictate the winner of games. But turnovers are usually the result of dominating DL play and lack of talent at the top 3 positions on offense, particularly QB.

GO BILLS!!!

I didn't include WR because I can think of instances where great qbs didn't have such great receivers and they still won.

Your right but that can be said about every position, even QB. If you could get dominant at five positions in this league, your going to be pretty good eitherway.

LT is less important IMO, as many teams win without a top notch one. There are so many good ones in the league.

If a team doesn't have a good one, the TE and or RB will have to stay in to block more often. That is why these guys often make 10 million plus per season and are drafted high.

Receivers and running backs are a dime a dozen compared to left tackles.