Donte Whitner having some lady troubles

I assume this isn't exactly a disastrous situation, because his status made him seem pretty nonchalant about not being engaged any more. More likely than not, his girlfriend said yes...thought about it for a few hours, and then said "sorry, I'm just not ready yet."

"Donte Whitner The engagement thing was a joke everyone knows I'm not ready for that!"

I assume this isn't exactly a disastrous situation, because his status made him seem pretty nonchalant about not being engaged any more. More likely than not, his girlfriend said yes...thought about it for a few hours, and then said "sorry, I'm just not ready yet."

More likely, he got laid, went to sleep and woke up in the morning. End of story...

"Donte Whitner The engagement thing was a joke everyone knows I'm not ready for that!"

All righty then. Now that that's been cleared up, nothing to see here, move along ...

Am I the only one who suspects that our dear little #8 overall has quite the alcohol problem?

Now before anyone asks:

1) Yes, I was young once.

2) Yes, I ran with a multitude of women when I was young.

3) Yes, I have sadly had a couple of fights in a bar when I was young.

4) No, I don't think that it is unusual for a kid his age to party.

So, there you have it wrt me being a hypocrite, etc. My question is, does anybody else suspect that Little Donte has himself an alcohol problem.

The problem with these little DBs is that you get a few drinks in them and they have a problem. Linemen on the other hand can drink and drink and drink because of their size. If we had only drafted a lineman instead of Whitner we would not have a team alcohol problem.

Facebook status update 6/07 8:58 PM - Donte Whitner Is now engaged to my future wifey!

Facebook status update 6/08 9:10 AM - Donte Whitner not engaged anymore...sorry guys I'll try again!

So in just over 12 hours (most of which was probably spent sleeping), he managed to get engaged and then un-engaged. Maybe he went too far and asked for a Cincinnati bowtie or something.

She gave him the cold shoulder...similar to Sammy Morris.

My question is, does anybody else suspect that Little Donte has himself an alcohol problem.

If he acts just the way you describe your youth (or mine or almost anyone else's)? Nope.

There was a time I spent 4-5 nights a week out drinking. The only 'problem' was the credit card bill at the end of the month.

One of the downsides of all this modern tech crap is that instead of getting drunk and making an ass out of yourself in front of a handful of people, you can now get drunk and make an ass out of yourself in front of the whole world.

Thanks as usual for offering an intelligent, well thought perspective. There is indeed a good chance that my hunch is premature or flat out wrong, which I hope is the case.
This is TSW, dammit! Stop having well-thought out and constructive arguments.

Here, I'll help...

What the hell Bill, thinking you know everything, what are you, a cop?

I respect your expertise in dealing with calls to domestic situations, and I'll agree that Whitner probably wasn't the designated driver the night he got busted. Still seems like a hell of a leap to parlay those two incidents into a history of substance abuse, though.

While I don't know about his blog/Facebook, I just scrolled through his Twitter feed and found exactly one reference to drinking -- post-midnight, and Dom Perignon. Many more tweets about workouts (he's picked up yoga), and one on draft day where he told Chris Jenkins he'd rather be home watching the draft than going out.

Can I completely discount your hunch? No. Was that the first possibility which came to mind when I read the original post? No.

Well stated. It is a leap to assume there is an alcohol issue or at least a serious one based on a few off handed comments and the presence at a bar fight. Do I think the guy is ready to be sainted - no. I see him as a young man who makes many of the same mistakes that many of us now old men made when we were young.

I am far more concerned about Marshawn Lynch's off the field antics simply because I fear he has failed to see the connection between poor judgement / actions and his career. Maybe he has changed but only time will tell.

At the same time with either of them - my behavior in my late teens and early twenties would certainly not have passed muster if I would have been under the same microscope so let me not cast any stones. Primary difference was that unfortunately while I did manage to start earning a good living at that age I can hardly claim that (borrowing a phrase from Ko Simpson) I was worth millions because I was a Buffalo Bill.

Am I the only one who suspects that our dear little #8 overall has quite the alcohol problem?

Now before anyone asks:

1) Yes, I was young once.

2) Yes, I ran with a multitude of women when I was young.

3) Yes, I have sadly had a couple of fights in a bar when I was young.

4) No, I don't think that it is unusual for a kid his age to party.

So, there you have it wrt me being a hypocrite, etc. My question is, does anybody else suspect that Little Donte has himself an alcohol problem.

Trent Edwards always gets hurt. This includes in season, as well as out of season.

When players are hurt, and have procedures done, they are often prescribed painkillers.

I think its safe to conclude that Trent Edwards has an addiction to painkillers and needs some help.

Do you think this sounds idiotic? If so, you know how the rest of us feel about the above post.

Trent Edwards always gets hurt. This includes in season, as well as out of season.

When players are hurt, and have procedures done, they are often prescribed painkillers.

I think its safe to conclude that Trent Edwards has an addiction to painkillers and needs some help.

Do you think this sounds idiotic? If so, you know how the rest of us feel about the above post.

A little testy this morning are we? I didn't notice anybody being mortally wounded because I posted a hunch, during a slow offseason.

We will see what the future holds both good and bad. In the meantime, why don't you run down to Starbucks and grab a coffee to go. :lol:

Well stated. It is a leap to assume there is an alcohol issue or at least a serious one based on a few off handed comments and the presence at a bar fight. Do I think the guy is ready to be sainted - no. I see him as a young man who makes many of the same mistakes that many of us now old men made when we were young.

I am far more concerned about Marshawn Lynch's off the field antics simply because I fear he has failed to see the connection between poor judgement / actions and his career. Maybe he has changed but only time will tell.

At the same time with either of them - my behavior in my late teens and early twenties would certainly not have passed muster if I would have been under the same microscope so let me not cast any stones. Primary difference was that unfortunately while I did manage to start earning a good living at that age I can hardly claim that (borrowing a phrase from Ko Simpson) I was worth millions because I was a Buffalo Bill.

This wouldn't even be mentioned if twitter or facebook didn't exist.

This wouldn't even be mentioned if twitter or facebook didn't exist.

Or places like this, to be honest. Imagine what fun we could have had with the Super Bowl years, when Kelly was ripping up the Big Tree and Thurman was sleeping at the stadium after evenings at Network ...

Or places like this, to be honest. Imagine what fun we could have had with the Super Bowl years, when Kelly was ripping up the Big Tree and Thurman was sleeping at the stadium after evenings at Network ...

In an effort to keep this thread worth anything, I'll ask this, is it perfectly okay to have all private information publicized and scrutinized by the public if you're a pro athlete?? :lol:

I wonder what our society would be like if it was reversed and people on the other end of the spectrum were subjected to such standards?

May be a good time to change the thread title :(

In an effort to keep this thread worth anything, I'll ask this, is it perfectly okay to have all private information publicized and scrutinized by the public if you're a pro athlete?? :lol:

I wonder what our society would be like if it was reversed and people on the other end of the spectrum were subjected to such standards?

May be a good time to change the thread title :(

That's one of those Pandora's Box thingys. Not quite sure at what point (almost) everything became fair game for the mainstream media, although I'll blame the influence of National Enquirer-type fishwrappers and TV shows. And no, I doubt most anyone here would enjoy the fishbowl treatment accorded to celebrities these days.

Most of the fans I knew back then had heard and discussed the stories about Kelly's crew, though. (I should note that the tidbit about Thurman sleeping it off in the trainer's room, so he wouldn't be late for practice the next day, came directly from him.)

Should we sit in moral judgment of people we don't know, based solely on what we read/hear? Perhaps not ... but we do, don't we?

Here's a question to ponder: what would have happened if the guys covering Mickey Mantle had written about his nights on the town? (Now THERE was a guy with "quite the alcohol problem.") Would he have denied it, or sought help? And would the adversarial relationship between the media and the teams they cover (generalizing here) have existed much sooner than it did?

This guy doesn't need the media's help to make an a** out of himself. The media did all it could to make us believe he was a stud on the field and a leader of men. Can't say I've seen much evidence of either. Based on his facebook activity he seems kind of pathetic. He needs a mentor; maybe Maybin can hook him up with Arrington.