Oct 2002 - The story of Dick Jauron "Coward"-gate

Simple.

Relative to every other team in the league (or at least the ones better than us) we have absolutely no veteran talent, and relative to every other "new regime," Jauron has overseen a complete overhaul at EVERY position except K, P, WR and DE.

And he still hasn't been able to go .500 in three tries, nor in 4 out of five seasons at his last job. In most other franchises, that'll get you fired, but not in Buffalo.

I frankly don't care what happens with other teams. If you can't win by year 3 of a rebuilding plan, you've failed. End of story.

And out of that overhaul, none of his picks in UFA and the draft can be considered a playmaker.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And he still hasn't been able to go .500 in three tries, nor in 4 out of five seasons at his last job. In most other franchises, that'll get you fired, but not in Buffalo.

I frankly don't care what happens with other teams. If you can't win by year 3 of a rebuilding plan, you've failed. End of story.

And out of that overhaul, none of his picks in UFA and the draft can be considered a playmaker.

No? Not Marshawn Lynch? Not Leodis? Not Edwads? Not Stroud? Not Mitchell? Not TO? Not Brad Butler? (who's started every year since he was drafted, you know that thing we never do to acquire lineman. OOPS! I forgot about Kyle Williams, who's started every game since he was drafted. He might not be a "playmaker" but this isn't Madden, and he's ROCK solid.)

I guess you don't in Tennessee either. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/FishJe0.htm

But firing coaches every 2 or 3 years has worked out so well for us. It's always the coach, not the players. Of course, Belichick sucked more than Jauron before Brady, so maybe you do need players.

Either way, it's June. Stop whining about a season that has yet to be played and trying to make other Bills' fans feel bad about getting excited. Honestly, what is your purpose? If they sucked, we have plenty of time to female dog it in the fall. But enjoy the offseason and more importantly, let fans (short for fanatics) enjoy theirs.

Relative to every other team in the league (or at least the ones better than us) we have absolutely no veteran talent, and relative to every other "new regime," Jauron has overseen a complete overhaul at EVERY position except K, P, WR and DE.

Why do you say we have no veteran talent? Walker, Reed, Evans, T.O., Parrish, Stroud, Schobel, Denney, Kelsay, Johnson, Mitchell, McGee, Scott, Lindell, Moorman, Rhodes, Florence, Chambers, Fox, Hangartner, McIntyre, McKinney and Thomas are all 5 year or more veterans.

Did John Harbaugh start out by gutting the Ravens of most veteran talent? Did Mike Smith gut the Atlanta Falcons of most veteran talent except for 4 positions? No and no.

And, before we go off and say the team "had" to be gutted because Donahoe had left absolutely no talent, it might be worth noting that Lee Evans, Aaron Schobel, Terrence McGee, and Brian Moorman are still, after 3 years of total rebuild, among the very best players on the team. Schobel and Moorman both being Pro Bowlers.

Here it is year 4 of the Jauron Era and they have gutted the OL for a total rebuild and drafted an underclassman project pass rusher. Let's face it, most teams would not have been too worried about losing Jauron and would not have prematurely given Jauron an extension and after the season had spiraled down the drain with an 0-6 division record, they would've let him go willingly. So, trying to fix the OL in year 4 is, from the git go, a day late and a synapse short. Still, most overhauls are going to start with the foundation first and try to put together a solid OL so their franchise QB has a chance of developing rather than getting broken in half and so they can take pressure off their QB. (Anybody recall all the threads lamenting Trent's groin concussion and how he became erratic and pensive after his concussion, shoulder, groin injury?) On defense, you simply have to have a pass rush to be anything north of average. With no pass rush, you're just going to waste your secondary, even if it is made up of All-World players. Worse yet, is having a bad front-7 that can't stop the run or rush the passer, either by talent or design. Then you have a secondary that has to make all the stops, wears down over the season, and starts failing due to injury. (Anybody remember all the love thrown Jauron's way 2 years ago when his secondary got cratered and the Bills started at least 9 different guys in the DB?)

Why do you say we have no veteran talent? Walker, Reed, Evans, T.O., Parrish, Stroud, Schobel, Denney, Kelsay, Johnson, Mitchell, McGee, Scott, Lindell, Moorman, Rhodes, Florence, Chambers, Fox, Hangartner, McIntyre, McKinney and Thomas are all 5 year or more veterans.

Yes, those people are all veterans.

Here are the talented ones:

Did John Harbaugh start out by gutting the Ravens of most veteran talent? Did Mike Smith gut the Atlanta Falcons of most veteran talent except for 4 positions? No and no.

Sam Adams, Eric Moulds, Lawyer Milloy, Campbell, Fletcher, and Spikes were the veteran dead weight cut by the Jauron regime. How have those players fared post-Bills?

Now let's look at the veterans Mike Smith would have gutted:

Ray Lewis (better than Spikes/Fletcher combined), Ed Reed (arguably one of the top 3 safeties of all time), and I don't have time to look the rest up, but they were better than our cast-offs in 2006...

And, before we go off and say the team "had" to be gutted because Donahoe had left absolutely no talent, it might be worth noting that Lee Evans, Aaron Schobel, Terrence McGee, and Brian Moorman are still, after 3 years of total rebuild, among the very best players on the team. Schobel and Moorman both being Pro Bowlers.

What's your point? Players were gutted because they SUCKED, not because Donahoe brought them here.

Here it is year 4 of the Jauron Era and they have gutted the OL for a total rebuild and drafted an underclassman project pass rusher.

And they brought in one of the greatest receivers of all time...

Let's face it, most teams would not have been too worried about losing Jauron and would not have prematurely given Jauron an extension and after the season had spiraled down the drain with an 0-6 division record, they would've let him go willingly.

Do you have historical evidence and/or league-wide testimony to support this claim? If not, let's NOT face it.

So, trying to fix the OL in year 4 is, from the git go, a day late and a synapse short.

Having drafted a perennial starter in Butler, having also drafted a short-term starter in Terrence Pennington, having signed Langston Walker, having had their LT walk out the door beyond their control and having paid top dollar for Dockery ='s waiting till year 4 to "fix the OL?" Give me a break! You can get hot-and-bothered because Dockery failed in Buffalo, but if you expect a 100% ROI on all FA's, you've set unreasonably high expectations.

Still, most overhauls are going to start with the foundation first and try to put together a solid OL so their franchise QB has a chance of developing rather than getting broken in half and so they can take pressure off their QB.

Do you have historical evidence and/or league-wide testimony to support this claim? Or is this your own personal plan/your attempt at parroting things you've heard other people say?

(Anybody recall all the threads lamenting Trent's groin concussion and how he became erratic and pensive after his concussion, shoulder, groin injury?) On defense, you simply have to have a pass rush to be anything north of average. With no pass rush, you're just going to waste your secondary, even if it is made up of All-World players. Worse yet, is having a bad front-7 that can't stop the run or rush the passer, either by talent or design. Then you have a secondary that has to make all the stops, wears down over the season, and starts failing due to injury. (Anybody remember all the love thrown Jauron's way 2 years ago when his secondary got cratered and the Bills started at least 9 different guys in the DB?)

So the Bills did or didn't sign Stroud last year? Having Schobel out of the rotation CRIPPLED the Bills defense. Look no further than the sharp up surge in opponents' 3rd down % once he was out of the lineup.

Sure, it would be nice to have a pash rush, but since you clearly agree that this team has been gutted and re-built, you must be conscious of the fact that EVERY unit can't be built to perfection in THREE years. The 2008 pass rush was made exponentially better with the addition of Stroud.

What are you arguing? That we're still addressing or haven't yet addressed various needs on this team? I'll give you the former then refer you back to the original post you replied to, but there's simply no historical evidence to support the latter.

Yes, those people are all veterans.

Here are the talented ones:

I assume you have league-wide testimony for that. Link?

Sam Adams, Eric Moulds, Lawyer Milloy, Campbell, Fletcher, and Spikes were the veteran dead weight cut by the Jauron regime.
Link to league-wide testimony?
Now let's look at the veterans Mike Smith would have gutted:

Ray Lewis (better than Spikes/Fletcher combined), Ed Reed (arguably one of the top 3 safeties of all time), and I don't have time to look the rest up, but they were better than our cast-offs in 2006...

Mike Smith would've cut Lewis and Reed? Link please.
What's your point? Players were gutted because they SUCKED, not because Donahoe brought them here.
League-wide testimony or your opinion?

Your game is too boring...

[Edit] Maybe you could provide a link to a list of all the other coaches that got extensions 5 or 6 weeks into the season while you are at it.

I assume you have league-wide testimony for that. Link?

Link to league-wide testimony?Mike Smith would've cut Lewis and Reed? Link please.League-wide testimony or your opinion?

Your game is too boring...

[Edit] Maybe you could provide a link to a list of all the other coaches that got extensions 5 or 6 weeks into the season while you are at it.

Haha, okay Miss Poopy pants. At least I enjoy my favorite football team.

First , please present the details of these "many trade down offers" that you are closely familiar with, since I've never heard a peep about them.

I heard Levy himself talk about it on Sirius Radio a few days after the 06 draft. He said that he had a couple of offers to move back for a 2nd round pick, and that 1 team offered that and more. I was driving in my car and heard him say this.

Now, let me say point blank that I don't blame you if you don't believe me. We don't know each other, and I too am very hesitant to believe others more often than not. But, there are posters here that I have met and known for years. I am betting that they do believe what I am telling you. It is the truth.

I heard Levy himself talk about it on Sirius Radio a few days after the 06 draft. He said that he had a couple of offers to move back for a 2nd round pick, and that 1 team offered that and more. I was driving in my car and heard him say this.

Now, let me say point blank that I don't blame you if you don't believe me. We don't know each other, and I too am very hesitant to believe others more often than not. But, there are posters here that I have met and known for years. I am betting that they do believe what I am telling you. It is the truth.

I don't doubt for a second that your words are true. Marv's words on the other hand...I'm not sure what would motivate a first-year GM to divulge ANY insider information two days prior to the draft.

I don't doubt for a second that your words are true. Marv's words on the other hand...I'm not sure what would motivate a first-year GM to divulge ANY insider information two days prior to the draft.

Bill said it was a few days after the draft where he heard those comments on Sirius from Marv, not prior to the draft.

Be careful what you wish for. The team has shown a lot more discipline and fire under Jauron's watch than under Mularkey and Williams, despite not being heavy on talent. Fans wanted those two coaches gone- they wanted Brown and Peters gone as well- two of the best post-superbowl era players the Bills have had. We should have kept Magahee and Collins as well, and concentrated on fixing the offensive and defensive line.

Last time we had a viable defensive line, we still had Ted Washington. Last time we had a viable offensive line, we still had Kent Hull. Amazing enough, the skill position players did pretty well at that point too.

Bills fans claim to be so great and knowledgeable, but they keep falling for the same musical chairs routine at QB and coach time after time. The Bills would need a miracle to win five games with the talent they have this year. If Walker was such a great left tackle, why did we rush Peters back on the field.....sorry. We mey be starting two rookie guards and have a castoff from another team at center. Edwards still hasn't shown much, but they rushed him back too soon after the concussion.

On defense, we line up Kevin Williams next to Stoud- sorry, but Kevin Williams in garbage. To all those singing Aaron Schobel's praises, he has been injured a lot lately and if you ever considered him to be elite, you probably are too young to remember Bruce Smith. McKelvin so far is a lesser version of Nate Odomes- gambles too much and the play probably is a touchdown one way or the other.

If you want Jauron gone, you better hope they can dig up a no-name, because Schottenehimer, Gruden and Reeves can pick and choose, and they NEVER would pick Buffalo.

Be careful what you wish for. The team has shown a lot more discipline and fire under Jauron's watch than under Mularkey and Williams, despite not being heavy on talent. Fans wanted those two coaches gone- they wanted Brown and Peters gone as well- two of the best post-superbowl era players the Bills have had. We should have kept Magahee and Collins as well, and concentrated on fixing the offensive and defensive line.

Last time we had a viable defensive line, we still had Ted Washington. Last time we had a viable offensive line, we still had Kent Hull. Amazing enough, the skill position players did pretty well at that point too.

Bills fans claim to be so great and knowledgeable, but they keep falling for the same musical chairs routine at QB and coach time after time. The Bills would need a miracle to win five games with the talent they have this year. If Walker was such a great left tackle, why did we rush Peters back on the field.....sorry. We mey be starting two rookie guards and have a castoff from another team at center. Edwards still hasn't shown much, but they rushed him back too soon after the concussion.

On defense, we line up Kevin Williams next to Stoud- sorry, but Kevin Williams in garbage. To all those singing Aaron Schobel's praises, he has been injured a lot lately and if you ever considered him to be elite, you probably are too young to remember Bruce Smith. McKelvin so far is a lesser version of Nate Odomes- gambles too much and the play probably is a touchdown one way or the other.

If you want Jauron gone, you better hope they can dig up a no-name, because Schottenehimer, Gruden and Reeves can pick and choose, and they NEVER would pick Buffalo.

You seriously didn't just f#@kin say be careful what you wish for in regards to wanted Dick Jauron fired, did you??????? :rolleyes:

Last 10 games of '08 they had a 2-8 record

0 wins vs the AFC East

2 losses at home against 2 flat out bad teams in the Browns and Niners.

Dude, I would take ANYBODY over the lifeless loser that is Dick Jauron. I'd take Octomom. Yes, an Octomom coached team would have the Buffalo Bills playing more fired up than Dick Jauron. The Buffalo Bills were the polar freaking opposites of having discipline and fire last season. Where on God's green earth did you see discipline and fire from the Buffalo Bills in 2008? Were you watching the games from another planet?

You seriously didn't just f#@kin say be careful what you wish for in regards to wanted Dick Jauron fired, did you??????? :rolleyes:

Last 10 games of '08 they had a 2-8 record

0 wins vs the AFC East

2 losses at home against 2 flat out bad teams in the Browns and Niners.

Dude, I would take ANYBODY over the lifeless loser that is Dick Jauron. I'd take Octomom. Yes, an Octomom coached team would have the Buffalo Bills playing more fired up more than Dick Jauron. The Buffalo Bills were the polar freaking opposites of having discipline and fire last season. Where on God's green earth did you see discipline and fire from the Buffalo Bills in 2008? Were you watching the games from another planet?

Yes, and Aaron Schobel is an elite DE....Lee Evans is wonderful- the next coming of Jerry Rice. Terrell Owens isn't what we've been calling him the last five years- he is wonderful- and may find the fountain of youth when it gets to -50 degrees

You live in a horrible place with a horrible football team. The team has no talent. When it has talent, it trades it away. They are a lock for 4th place this year and would be if Vince Lombardi were coaching.

Yes, and Aaron Schobel is an elite DE....Lee Evans is wonderful- the next coming of Jerry Rice. Terrell Owens isn't what we've been calling him the last five years- he is wonderful- and may find the fountain of youth when it gets to -50 degrees

You live in a horrible place with a horrible football team. The team has no talent. When it has talent, it trades it away. They are a lock for 4th place this year and would be if Vince Lombardi were coaching.

Bullsh#t. This team had a 5-1 record. It had the same amount of talent that Miami had. Dick "Mr. Pu$$y" Jauron couldn't help becoming too cautious during games and too accommodating during press conferences bending over backwards trying not to hurt his players' feelings instead of holding them accountable.

Seriously, how many losing seasons do you need to see from Dick before you realize he's one of the worst ever NFL head coaches? 10 losing seasons? 12 losing seasons?

I debated not even dignifying your post with a response, but it's Friday and I'm feeling loose, so I guess I'll slap you around quickly and then move on...

Your post was doomed from the start. Yes, Buffalo would clearly be better with McGahee, a guy that lost his job to a 5th-round full back. I can only assume you mean Todd Collins that Buffalo should've kept; I have no idea how to even respond. You're talking about a guy that went 11 years without starting a game after he left Buffalo, doesn't that tell you something?

Kevin Williams is a 3-time pro bowl defensive tackle, who--by the way--plays for Minnesota. I guess you were probably referring to Kyle Williams. Are you sure you're talking about the Bills? You seem to have a disturbing lack of knowledge regarding the team. I'm sure you didn't know that Aaron Schobel has more sacks since 2001 than any AFC player other than Jason Taylor, I'd consider that an elite pass rusher. Sorry that he's not as good as one of the top 3 DE's ever to play the game. Last time I checked, he didn't have to be Bruce Smith in order to be considered among the best pass rushers in the league.

So Bills' fans aren't knowledgable because they wanted a new head coach and quarterback, huh? So you were satisfied with Bledsoe, Losman, Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, etc.? If yes, then you're an idiot. If no, then you're a hypocrite.

Just because a guy is signed in free agency, that doesn't make him a "castoff". You are aware that there's this thing called a "salary cap", right? Carolina doled out over $115 million in contracts to offensive linemen the last 2 off-seasons, so they couldn't re-sign Hangartner. He started for over 3 years there, that means he's a starter in the league, not a castoff. As much as you may want to be able to trash the front office for signing him, it'd behoove you to actually watch him play (my personal favorite piece of video is last season's Giants game; watch him push Fred Robbins around and then come back and talk).

I love the McKelvin comment. After watching the guy start 8 games as a rookie, you are confident enough in your professional football analyitcal abilities to label him a lesser version of Nate Odoms that takes too many chances? Wow, I've read some BS on this board, but you, my friend, could teach a course on it.

By the way, since you talk to Schottenehimer, Gruden and Reeves so often that you know their preferred teams to coach, can you ask Gruden why he said (on NFL Network during the draft) he'd coach any AFC East team in a heartbeat? Just curious, Adam, since you're so well connected, can you find that out for me? Nah, you know what, don't bother, just go stick your head back in the sand.

I debated not even dignifying your post with a response, but it's Friday and I'm feeling loose, so I guess I'll slap you around quickly and then move on...

Your post was doomed from the start. Yes, Buffalo would clearly be better with McGahee, a guy that lost his job to a 5th-round full back. I can only assume you mean Todd Collins that Buffalo should've kept; I have no idea how to even respond. You're talking about a guy that went 11 years without starting a game after he left Buffalo, doesn't that tell you something?

Kevin Williams is a 3-time pro bowl defensive tackle, who--by the way--plays for Minnesota. I guess you were probably referring to Kyle Williams. Are you sure you're talking about the Bills? You seem to have a disturbing lack of knowledge regarding the team. I'm sure you didn't know that Aaron Schobel has more sacks since 2001 than any AFC player other than Jason Taylor, I'd consider that an elite pass rusher. Sorry that he's not as good as one of the top 3 DE's ever to play the game. Last time I checked, he didn't have to be Bruce Smith in order to be considered among the best pass rushers in the league.

So Bills' fans aren't knowledgable because they wanted a new head coach and quarterback, huh? So you were satisfied with Bledsoe, Losman, Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, etc.? If yes, then you're an idiot. If no, then you're a hypocrite.

Just because a guy is signed in free agency, that doesn't make him a "castoff". You are aware that there's this thing called a "salary cap", right? Carolina doled out over $115 million in contracts to offensive linemen the last 2 off-seasons, so they couldn't re-sign Hangartner. He started for over 3 years there, that means he's a starter in the league, not a castoff. As much as you may want to be able to trash the front office for signing him, it'd behoove you to actually watch him play (my personal favorite piece of video is last season's Giants game; watch him push Fred Robbins around and then come back and talk).

I love the McKelvin comment. After watching the guy start 8 games as a rookie, you are confident enough in your professional football analyitcal abilities to label him a lesser version of Nate Odoms that takes too many chances? Wow, I've read some BS on this board, but you, my friend, could teach a course on it.

By the way, since you talk to Schottenehimer, Gruden and Reeves so often that you know their preferred teams to coach, can you ask Gruden why he said (on NFL Network during the draft) he'd coach any AFC East team in a heartbeat? Just curious, Adam, since you're so well connected, can you find that out for me? Nah, you know what, don't bother, just go stick your head back in the sand.

Bledsoe is another guy we should have kept. If we invested as many picks on the offensive and defensive lines as we did in the QB position, which fans such as yourself froth over, we'd be on top of the division. Our record in the last decade against New England is more a reflection on how bad we are than how good they are.

McKelvin gambles too much- thats how it is. Whatever Williams name is....he stinks. Hangartner was a fill in for the Panthers.

And by the way, I've probably been watching the Bills since before you were born, so go stick your own head back in the sand

Bledsoe is another guy we should have kept. If we invested as many picks on the offensive and defensive lines as we did in the QB position, which fans such as yourself froth over, we'd be on top of the division. Our record in the last decade against New England is more a reflection on how bad we are than how good they are.

McKelvin gambles too much- thats how it is. Whatever Williams name is....he stinks. Hangartner was a fill in for the Panthers.

And by the way, I've probably been watching the Bills since before you were born, so go stick your own head back in the sand

Adam, wrt McKelvin, I am not taking sides here and if you recall, I never wanted to draft him (I wanted Branden Albert). Still, it is too early to judge him as a corner.

My feeling is that he is a slow learner. I wonder if anyone thinks this? He looked as if he was clueless returning kicks at the beginning of the year, and I don't care about stats. He was running into tacklers. By the end of the season, he was one of the best in the league and I have said many times.....he has the chance to be one of the best ever imho.

In other words, he might turn out to be a top corner. Imo there is no way to tell just yet.

Adam, wrt McKelvin, I am not taking sides here and if you recall, I never wanted to draft him (I wanted Branden Albert). Still, it is too early to judge him as a corner.

My feeling is that he is a slow learner. I wonder if anyone thinks this? He looked as if he was clueless returning kicks at the beginning of the year, and I don't care about stats. He was running into tacklers. By the end of the season, he was one of the best in the league and I have said many times.....he has the chance to be one of the best ever imho.

In other words, he might turn out to be a top corner. Imo there is no way to tell just yet.

He can be good- but I don't like the way he gambles so much......if we don't fix DT and DE sometime soon, our DB's will be worthless- and Maybin was a wasted pick!

He can be good- but I don't like the way he gambles so much......if we don't fix DT and DE sometime soon, our DB's will be worthless- and Maybin was a wasted pick!

Somebody has to do something aggressive on the weak, lifeless team. I am hoping that the new interior linemen are a first step toward this goal.

Again, we shall see wrt McKelvin. I hope he is great so Jauron won't keep chasing corners in the draft.