Oct 2002 - The story of Dick Jauron "Coward"-gate

I think Levy and Mularkey had winning seasons in Buffalo. In fact, the Bills have never had a head coach prior to Jauron post 3 straight losing seasons in his first 3 seasons. Bullough, Rauch, Johnson, and Ramsey were all fired before they got to that point. Even Kay Stephenson and Gregg Williams posted a .500 record and they were gone in 3. And, Wade Phillips never had a losing season.

So what?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixed it for you.

Now I am not a Jauron fan, personally, I despise the cover-2 defense. Still, he has made quite a bit out of minimal talent......Aaron Schobel isn't exactly Bruce Smith or Phil Hansen. The Bills have made monumental mistakes in talent aquisition over the years- and that is the root of our problem, not coaching.

Joe Panos, Tuten Reyes, Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker.....heck, Ruben Brown and Jason Peters have been the only good OL's and they were run out of here. Stroud is the only really good DL we have and we wasted a pick on Maybin who was a good college lineman in a weak conference.

Jauron has been a head coach for some weak programs in Chicago, Detroit and Buffalo. Until we have better personnel, things won't change.....and who would want to come to Buffalo.....Mularkey walked away from a head coaching position in the NFL.

Now I am not a Jauron fan, personally, I despise the cover-2 defense. Still, he has made quite a bit out of minimal talent......Aaron Schobel isn't exactly Bruce Smith or Phil Hansen. The Bills have made monumental mistakes in talent aquisition over the years- and that is the root of our problem, not coaching.

Adam, the point has been made that Jauron had a major say in terms of the players that we have, starting with the nightmare draft of 06, and the OL free agent debacle of 07. Does he shoulder all the blame? Absolutely not. Hello Marv. Should he be held partially accountable? Absolutely.

Like you, I despise the cover-2. That, and the focus on the secondary are indicitive of the "play not to lose" mentality of Jauron. Now, throw in terrible game management skills and you have yourself a perpetual loser that is Dick Jauron.

PS: Schobel is a far better pass rusher than Phil Hansen. They are two totally different types of players, but if Schobel lined up opposite of Bruce, he might have delivered Bryce Paup type numbers.

Joe Panos, Tuten Reyes, Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker.....heck, Ruben Brown and Jason Peters have been the only good OL's and they were run out of here. Stroud is the only really good DL we have and we wasted a pick on Maybin who was a good college lineman in a weak conference.

Jauron has been a head coach for some weak programs in Chicago, Detroit and Buffalo. Until we have better personnel, things won't change.....and who would want to come to Buffalo.....Mularkey walked away from a head coaching position in the NFL.

Thanks for inadvertently bringing this thread around to it's original point. As an NFL head coach, the guy is a coward. It was as true in 2002 (that's seven freaking years ago, btw) as it is today in 2009. The NFL is a watered down product bub, and there no longer are teams that have the quality of the "Bruce Smith" Bills. It's why a team like the Dolphins are laughing stocks at 1-15 one year and win their division the next year. This is a coaches' league. You need a smart, instinctual, innovative and motivating head coach to be successful. These are all qualities that Dick Jauron does not possess. Dick has had three seasons worth of draft and free agency input to get his players in here so there really is no way you can continue to candy coat his @ss. Even if the players do suck, these are his fukin players. It may have been in poor taste, but that passionate Chicago Bears caller was correct.

Thanks for inadvertently bringing this thread around to it's original point. As an NFL head coach, the guy is a coward. It was as true in 2002 (that's seven freaking years ago, btw) as it is today in 2009. The NFL is a watered down product bub, and there no longer are teams that have the quality of the "Bruce Smith" Bills. It's why a team like the Dolphins are laughing stocks at 1-15 one year and win their division the next year. This is a coaches' league. You need a smart, instinctual, innovative and motivating head coach to be successful. These are all qualities that Dick Jauron does not possess. Dick has had three seasons worth of draft and free agency input to get his players in here so there really is no way you can continue to candy coat his @ss. Even if the players do suck, these are his fukin players. It may have been in poor taste, but that passionate Chicago Bears caller was correct.

Our front office is so bad we have a guy who isn't a starter in this league at LT, we have wasted way too many draft picks on QB and we have a marshmallow soft defensive line.

Innovative- how do you want him to be innovative? Shoot free throws, maybe? This is football, it is not innovative. Get a strong middle of the defense that won't include Kyle Williams, Spencer Johnson, Paul Pozlizny or Ko Simpson. Get me a strong offensive line and a fullback.

Nobody- coaches or otherwise wants to come to Buffalo, NY. Be happy you have a guy who can get that team 7 wins with nothing to work with.

By the way- the Patriots are better than the Bills from the early 1990's and San Diego/Jacksonville may be close.

Our front office is so bad we have a guy who isn't a starter in this league at LT, we have wasted way too many draft picks on QB and we have a marshmallow soft defensive line.

Innovative- how do you want him to be innovative? Shoot free throws, maybe? This is football, it is not innovative. Get a strong middle of the defense that won't include Kyle Williams, Spencer Johnson, Paul Pozlizny or Ko Simpson. Get me a strong offensive line and a fullback.

Nobody- coaches or otherwise wants to come to Buffalo, NY. Be happy you have a guy who can get that team 7 wins with nothing to work with.

By the way- the Patriots are better than the Bills from the early 1990's and San Diego/Jacksonville may be close.

Be happy we have a loser that got us to seven wins with the easiest schedule in team history? Going 0-6 against the AFC East? Losing to the Browns and the Niners at home? I seriously don't know who the biggest loser is, you or Dick.

Be happy we have a loser that got us to seven wins with the easiest schedule in team history? Going 0-6 against the AFC East? Losing to the Browns and the Niners at home? I seriously don't know how the biggest loser is, you or Dick.

:rolleyes: ahhh, the internet tough guy. I have been involved in sports for over 20 years and based on that, I know more than you. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it Johnny! :P

:rolleyes: ahhh, the internet tough guy. I have been involved in sports for over 20 years and based on that, I know more than you. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it Johnny! :P

Not being a tough guy, try reading it again.

Dick Jauron, who's been involved in sports twice as long you have, is and always will be a loser. Sorry, what's your point again?

Be happy we have a loser that got us to seven wins with the easiest schedule in team history? Going 0-6 against the AFC East? Losing to the Browns and the Niners at home? I seriously don't know who the biggest loser is, you or Dick.

Not being a tough guy, try reading it again.

Jauron has won 21 games over three years without a game-changing player on either side of the ball. He's not my favorite coach, but he puts guys in position to make plays.....look at the Dallas Monday night game.....if the QB takes a sack, we win because of 5 turnovers.

Jauron has won 21 games over three years without a game-changing player on either side of the ball. He's not my favorite coach, but he puts guys in position to make plays.....look at the Dallas Monday night game.....if the QB takes a sack, we win because of 5 turnovers.

Firstly, these are my favorite Dick Jauron supporters' unintendedly funny, outrageously understated qualifiers...

he's not my favorite coach

he's not the greatest coach

he's not the best coach

Secondly, that Dallas game was one of the few in the Dick Jauron losing era where the team actually looked like they were trying like hell to win a ball game. It just magnifies how lifeless this team is when they aren't playing the Dallas Cowboys on a Monday night game. If Dick's defense was smartly lined up defending the sideline pass then they would have won that game, btw. Also, I was at the debacle at the Meadowlands where Dick green lighted the pointless Losman roll out play that blew the game. Actually it's the opposite of what you think, Dick Jauron continually puts his teams in position to lose when the game's on the line.

Firstly, these are my favorite Dick Jauron supporters' unintendedly funny, outrageously understated qualifiers...

he's not my favorite coach

he's not the greatest coach

he's not the best coach

Secondly, that Dallas game was one of the few in the Dick Jauron losing era where the team actually looked like they were trying like hell to win a ball game. It just magnifies how lifeless this team is when they aren't playing the Dallas Cowboys on a Monday night game. If Dick's defense was smartly lined up defending the sideline pass then they would have won that game, btw. Also, I was at the debacle at the Meadowlands where Dick green lighted the pointless Losman roll out play that blew the game. Actually it's the opposite of what you think, Dick Jauron continually puts his teams in position to lose when the game's on the line.

Personally, I don't think we ever should have gotten rid of Wade Phillips.