In your opinion, what has to happen this year?

Don't get your hopes up

regardless of what Kelly says, Dick is here for the duration - no matter how bad the record is in 2009 -- unless Ralph is out of the picture.

Dick is getting paid $6 mil for 3 years.

Ralph wouldn't cut him loose because he had to eat $ 6mil in 2008 and won;t do it for $4 mil in 2009

either.

People fail to understand that Dick orchestrated one of the greatest collapses in NFL history, going 2-8 and trashing a sure playoff spot.

Bills won;t have the luxury of a 5-1 start in 2009, so the overall record will be closer to an extrapolation of that 2-8 finish from last year.

Remember- It's tough to win in the NFL" - especially if Dick is your HC

Exactly. 2-8 to finish the season, 0-6 in the division, and 3-5 at home results in a CONTRACT EXTENSION!!! There is one man who will decide if Dick stays, and that man has four million reasons to peddle hope and continuity.

Exactly. 2-8 to finish the season, 0-6 in the division, and 3-5 at home results in a CONTRACT EXTENSION!!! There is one man who will decide if Dick stays, and he's got four million reasons to peddle hope and continuity.

Someone will inevitably say that DJ received the extension when Buffalo was 5-1. That's correct, but it wasn't announced officially and the team would not admit anything. Sean Payton inked an extension last year, and it was quickly noted by NO. Why the Bills try to remain so private is beyond me and indicative of some serious insecurity.

But you're correct that he went 0-6 in the division (first winless division record since 1976) and managed to be so bad so often. It's all about money, as in the guarantee that RW would have to pay a guy he himself signed. No one can underestimate RW's ego either, as I find it hard that the owner who negotiated the contract would fire that same HC he re-signed two months later.

IMO, there's something seriously wrong when the owner and not the quasi-GM is negotiating the coaches contract. Few teams have micromanaging owners like RW, namely Oakland and Cincinnati. Their track records speak for themselves.

If his contract was ending this year, he might be let go with the thought they would find a better coach, etc. With 2 more years left on his contract anything like 9-7 or better and he is probably retained. Think of the Bills history. When have they ever fired a coach and paid a coach for 2 remaining years? With Wade Phillips Wilson fired him for insubordination and then tried not to pay him. But I think they ended up having to pay him so I don't know if they would try that again.

So this talk about anything less than the playoffs and he is gone is not backed up by the Bills history at all. Its more the fans way of looking at things, not Bills management. At the end of last season, after 3 straight 7-9's the fans were as mad as they have ever been and basically demanded change. Change did not happen. If DJ goes 9-7 in 2009 the fans might be frustrated at the 10th straight year w/o playoffs but they can be mollified by management with the thought that a couple of good off season moves and we will be there in 2010. There is always next year and expect DJ to be a part of next year for a while more because somehow I see the Bills reaching at least 9-7 this year. If they go 7-9 or worse this year I think mgt. will probably not have a choice about firing him and will let him go.

Someone will inevitably say that DJ received the extension when Buffalo was 5-1. That's correct, but it wasn't announced officially and the team would not admit anything. Sean Payton inked an extension last year, and it was quickly noted by NO. Why the Bills try to remain so private is beyond me and indicative of some serious insecurity.

But you're correct that he went 0-6 in the division (first winless division record since 1976) and managed to be so bad so often. It's all about money, as in the guarantee that RW would have to pay a guy he himself signed. No one can underestimate RW's ego either, as I find it hard that the owner who negotiated the contract would fire that same HC he re-signed two months later.

IMO, there's something seriously wrong when the owner and not the quasi-GM is negotiating the coaches contract. Few teams have micromanaging owners like RW, namely Oakland and Cincinnati. Their track records speak for themselves.

That is correct (and obviously I was aware of it) but the end result is the same. The premature extension was just another brilliant move. God forbid another organization should swoop in and engage in a bidding war for Jauron's services. :w00t:

Don't get your hopes up

regardless of what Kelly says, Dick is here for the duration - no matter how bad the record is in 2009 -- unless Ralph is out of the picture.

Dick is getting paid $6 mil for 3 years.

Ralph wouldn't cut him loose because he had to eat $ 6mil in 2008 and won;t do it for $4 mil in 2009

either.

People fail to understand that Dick orchestrated one of the greatest collapses in NFL history, going 2-8 and trashing a sure playoff spot.

Bills won;t have the luxury of a 5-1 start in 2009, so the overall record will be closer to an extrapolation of that 2-8 finish from last year.

Remember- It's tough to win in the NFL" - especially if Dick is your HC

I dont like defending Dick, but there is alot more to a football team than just a HC. The team played those games, not Jauron. I agree that he is a bad HC, but the players need to be held just as accountable if not more. His coaching didnt lose all of those games, it was a bad team that played poorly. You also have to remember that the 5-1 record came against poor teams, the 2-8 finish was against teams that were much better than us. I will admit that we would have probably won a couple of those games with better coaching, but it cant all be blamed on Jauron.

If Dick was coaching the championship era team, they would have found a way to win. Its the team, not the coach that wins games. We have to admit that this is not an elite team. We need a new owner and a new philosophy. Getting rid of Dick and replacing him with another loser coach will show the same results.