James Hardy

It's a bit premature to call him a bust. He has great size, good speed and a very athletic jumper. He's very raw and I think it would be a bit unreasonable to have expected him to be a solid contributor last year considering his lack of experience. But let's not forget, he made one hell of a catch that won us the game against the Jags. That is a big "W" folks.

I am not going to say that he will amount to anything special, because I really don't have too much to go by, to tell you the truth, I am more excited about what Steve Johnson can do. My guess is that Hardy will be competing this year for a roster spot and hopefully he will develop his craft and learn from one of the best in T.O.

In regards to his work ethic, I believe I have heard lots of reports of how he is a very willing learner with a great attitude and that should serve him well as long as he continues to do so.

You don't cut high round draftpicks the year after you draft them his roster spot is secure.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a what have you done for me lately leauge. Hardy has done nothing in the later part of the year last year, therefor he is a bust in most people minds. Based on what I saw last year as a team, anyone calling hardy a bust should also be begging for a new QB as well. He will be a STUD in this leauge. It might not be in Buffalo, but he will be a STUD.

I don't think it's ridiculous that some fans still have high hopes for him. I just have a different opinion. For every Eric Moulds and Bruce Smith story you can find hundreds of careers like Charles Rogers and Erik Flowers. I don't have game film to study so I can only go on plays where the ball has been thrown his way. From what I saw, the guy is more than a project. I understand that he may have never run pro style routes before but this is a pretty big deal IMO. The NFL is not usually the best place to start learning the basics. The average NFL wideout has been working on his route running since highschool. Why do you think someone like Usain Bolt couldn't make a practice squad? It's not just the route running that scares me. I found it more dissapointing that he never really showed he has the feel of how to use his size. All to often last year I saw Hardy get out muscled by a smaller corner. I'm not the only one to notice his lack of effort either. It's been mentioned by other posters as well. JP losman has thrown a few game winning TD passes but this doesn't mean he can play consistently.

The coaching staff made an effort to get him involved early in the season last year. He had a golden opportunity to make an impact on the team. Alot of the balls thrown his way were similar to his TD catch. To me, it seemed like they were trying to put him in a position to make plays in a jump ball situation. Unfortunately alot of the time he struggled to get a hand on the ball. That isn't just route running.

Just my two cents. I have been wrong before and I have no problem admitting to it. I am also not afraid to go against the grain and call it like I see it. James Hardy is missing too many major tools to ever be a solid starter. He could develop into a situational threat but offers nothing in terms of special teams and will struggle to find a permanent home. I'll see you all in three years. :wacko:

Damn I LIKE your posts in this thread. Agree totally. Maybe you can put out your thoughts on Youboty too

Its a what have you done for me lately leauge. Hardy has done nothing in the later part of the year last year, therefor he is a bust in most people minds. Based on what I saw last year as a team, anyone calling hardy a bust should also be begging for a new QB as well. He will be a STUD in this leauge. It might not be in Buffalo, but he will be a STUD.

Did you see him last year? For Hardy the road to "bust" is a lot shorter than "stud"

You don't cut high round draftpicks the year after you draft them his roster spot is secure.

Yeah, but all the "I know a bust when I see one / development's over-rated" folks on TSW can't possible be off base, can they? :wacko:

Did you see him last year? For Hardy the road to "bust" is a lot shorter than "stud"

Yes I did see him. I also saw Reed for 7 years and if it wasnt for Mr. Dump off Edwards Reed would of had a below average AGAIN last year. You can not blame all of this on Hardy.....sure he needs to learn the system quickly but Trent and the coaching staff was less then stellar last year. Outside the St Louis game, Hardy did not have that bad of a season for the number of opportunties he had.

Not usually, but they could put him on IR or on the practice squad and use his injury as an excuse to do so. :wacko:

James Hardy has a lot less pressure on him this year than last year. Which is a good thing now the only question is what to do with him this year? IF we go no-huddle and 4 wide than who is our fourth wide is it Hardy or Parrish or Johnson. Is Hardy just a red zone and third down guy?

As for next year ( assuming TO leaves town ) what do we do about our number two wide receiver slot is Hardy or even Steve Johnson our guy or do we go into the draft or free agency ( Its an uncapped year so that becomes even more unlikely than it is in a capped year ).

For this year I see Hardy as a third down and Red Zone target let him get acclimated to those situations and have him learn a little from TO. The big problem with Hardy is that he doesn't have that tenacity and dominance of space that bigger guys who are not as fast have. TO has a lot of what Hardy needs to develop.

We need Hardy or Johnson to develop this year because we can't just have a big hole at wide receiver going into an uncapped year where our top few draft choices become so much more valuable. Simply put we need to have the answer on our roster now before we spend another second or first on a position that we should have been developing.

My personal bet is that Johnson takes the step forward and Hardy goes bust.

Back to the actual question....

I see Hardy coming in game 4 or 5 as a third down/red zone type receiver. For some reason, I have a feeling that Steve Johnson is going to make a name for himself this year with his "expanded role" and possiblly even compete for the # 2 wideout spot next year. Hardy, next year, will again be a third down/red zone guy and potentially work his way into the top 2 after Lee and Josh move on. It's not Hardy's fault, TE has got to learn how to throw to a guy who's a foot taller than any of his other receivers. Ya gotta put the ball up and let him go get it. Last year, several balls thrown his way were misplaced, which I beleive contributed to making him look bad. The TD grab agains Jax was a thing of beauty....who's gonna be able to defend that...? :wacko:

I have read alot about Hardy and it contradicts everything I WATCHED. His 4.45 forty looks to be about 4.65 on the field. He's 6-6 going on 5-10 and gets pushed around by corners who are half his size. I don't have a problem waiting for a guy to develop but at least play the freakin game hard. IMO, the guy only has size. His character was a question coming out of school and he wasted no time proving why. At least Marshawn and Dante break their azz on the field. This guy looked disinterested.

Well put! I saw all the same things. When Eric Moulds took time to develop, he still played hard. And if memory serves me, he played special teams at least in his first few years. Hardy cant even play with his jewels.

When Eric Moulds took time to develop, he still played hard.

No, he didn't. And he played dumb. I remember a play where he needed to go OOB to save precious seconds, and he instead went back towards the middle of the field. Let's not rewrite history, just so we can bash Hardy.

Pushthepile, you are in no way qualified to say that Hardy does not give his full effort. Did you study every single one of his plays to determine when he played hard and when he didn't? Of course you didn't, so you have no basis for comparison and cannot say he did or did not play hard. Now please go away, as you are grossly uninformed about Hardy.

WRs normally suck in their first year.

Hardy did not come out of a pro-style offense, and he looked lost last year because he was running routes that were almost completely foreign to him. The guy is 6-6 and runs a 4.45, so i say we withhold judgment on him until he has 2-3 years in the league. The guy was a project coming out of school, played basketball prior to football at IU, and was a 2nd round pick because everyone knew he wouldn't be a difference maker right away.

Some of you people need to actually read about Hardy before you pass judgment.

I agree! WR is the hardest position to get the hang of immediately outside of QB. You not only have to have the playbook and reads down there also has to be a repoire with the QB. Dallas' trade for Roy williams last year made no sense because he was not going to pay immediate dividends. Not mid season. Hardy last year was not available for Trent early and the injuries set him back. Does that mean you right him off because your expectations of a first year, rookie WR were inflated.....NO!

James Hardy has a lot less pressure on him this year than last year. Which is a good thing now the only question is what to do with him this year? IF we go no-huddle and 4 wide than who is our fourth wide is it Hardy or Parrish or Johnson. Is Hardy just a red zone and third down guy?

As for next year ( assuming TO leaves town ) what do we do about our number two wide receiver slot is Hardy or even Steve Johnson our guy or do we go into the draft or free agency ( Its an uncapped year so that becomes even more unlikely than it is in a capped year ).

For this year I see Hardy as a third down and Red Zone target let him get acclimated to those situations and have him learn a little from TO. The big problem with Hardy is that he doesn't have that tenacity and dominance of space that bigger guys who are not as fast have. TO has a lot of what Hardy needs to develop.

We need Hardy or Johnson to develop this year because we can't just have a big hole at wide receiver going into an uncapped year where our top few draft choices become so much more valuable. Simply put we need to have the answer on our roster now before we spend another second or first on a position that we should have been developing.

Hardy had an ACL late in the year last year.

Soonest he will be able to make any contribuion will be one year from the injury.

I would look for the nex Hardy sighting, training camp 2010.

Let's IR him now, that is where he is headed anyway.

Hardy had an ACL late in the year last year.

Soonest he will be able to make any contribuion will be one year from the injury.

I would look for the nex Hardy sighting, training camp 2010.

Let's IR him now, that is where he is headed anyway.

No, IMO they need to trade one receiver and keep Hardy on the active roster. He'll be ready to go he just wont be 100%. He can still learn more this year and contribute in the end zone. It usually takes two years for a guy to fully recover from an ACL tear. Let him play and learn from TO and see what he can do at 100% in 2010.