According to Trent, T.O. is our #1 WR

Trent Dilfer that is. Anyone hear him and Schlereth bashing the TO move on NFL Live today? Dilfer's reasoning was that the Bills finish seasons poorly, and needed a #1 WR that finishes strongly and can carry his team with him. Went on to make the case that TO has statistically been starting out strong and then fading in the second half of the season, therefore this was not a good fit in his eyes. Threw in the weather just for laughs, and the move was generally panned as a disaster. Not only was TO the de facto #1 WR, he didn't even bother to mention Evans. Geesh, you'd think if these guys know they're doing a story later that day on a given team, that they'd do a little prep?

TO had 39 receptions, 621 receiving yards, and 5 TD's in the last 8 games last year. And one of those games was with Brad Johnson starting. Those stats were greater than or equal to 50% of his season stats. So Trent Dilfer and Mark Schlereth can suck it! :devil:

TO had 39 receptions, 621 receiving yards, and 5 TD's in the last 8 games last year. And one of those games was with Brad Johnson starting. Those stats were greater than or equal to 50% of his season stats. So Trent Dilfer and Mark Schlereth can suck it! :unsure:

Looks to me like he gained a step. :devil:

Looks to me like he gained a step. :devil:

I swear, some people just talk to hear themselves speak. Nice job on the research there, Trent! Or whatever lackey fed you that BS for you to read on the teleprompter.

TO knows this season is make or break for him. I'm sure he is well aware of the lack of interest he generated as a FA and has used that as motivation. The guy is a freak when it comes to preparing his body for football. He will not let us down. I have a much bigger fear that the Bills won't hold up their end of the deal for him.

Who knows how he'll hold up? He'll be in good shape, but he is getting old and can get injured just like anyone else. And, who knows how the weather will affect him. I'm more concerned with Trent being able to play good in the cold, though. This team really needs to bring back the strong play in December, outside. As for my first few sentences, I'm just saying that the guy is a man like everyone else, and I fear that Trent Edwards and the Bills coaches will put too much emphasis on him getting a certain amount of catches and passes his way. That could be disasterous. Hopefully, he'll be another reciever - call it 1 or 2, whatever, and whoever gets open gets the ball. I think the T.O. situation will work best if he's treated, on the field, like anyone else, because, if we're forcing it to him it'll be no different than last year trying to throw to Evans when everyone knew it was going there. We'll have to trust the Bills coaches to deal with that and to use him to the best advantage of the football team.

the National media love to say how TO is declining. yes he will be 36 soon but for some reason age hasn't caught up to him yet. His numbers were down last year but Dallas kinda sucked campared to the two previous years. He had Brad Johnson throwing to him for 3 games.

Guest dog14787
TO knows this season is make or break for him. I'm sure he is well aware of the lack of interest he generated as a FA and has used that as motivation. The guy is a freak when it comes to preparing his body for football. He will not let us down. I have a much bigger fear that the Bills won't hold up their end of the deal for him.

Good point Push, its high time a team and organization used T.O.'s capabilities as a catalyst to the next level and not a scapegoat for their failures.

Gruden seems to think DJ is the right guy for the job when it comes to handling T.O. and he could be right. Plus TE is a very unselfish player who will be more than happy to feed T.O. the ball until his legs fall off as long as T.O. moves the ball and scores TD's. Thus T.O. gets to keep the key to the city and all is well on TSW.

So this could turn out to be a match made in heaven.

In thy Holy Trent we Trust :devil:

For the millionth time, the Bills had absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain with this move.

It's such a simple concept, but apparently so difficult to grasp.

:devil::unsure:

What's the worst TO can do?

1. Make us go 7-9 or worse? IF that happens DJ is fired and we get a better draft spot.

2. Get DJ fired? Both of them have to perform this year, or both are done.

3. Start trouble for Edwards? Sorry, but the QB in Buffalo needs to be a tough S.O.B., regardless of who he is. The weather, the division, the fans, demand it. The worst that happens is Edwards takes a mental beating, and he either has to improve because of it, or go someplace else.

4. Screw up the team? He's only here for one year, and historically year 1 is not when he starts his trouble.

:thumbsup::wallbash:

Trent Dilfer that is. Anyone hear him and Schlereth bashing the TO move on NFL Live today? Dilfer's reasoning was that the Bills finish seasons poorly, and needed a #1 WR that finishes strongly and can carry his team with him. Went on to make the case that TO has statistically been starting out strong and then fading in the second half of the season, therefore this was not a good fit in his eyes. Threw in the weather just for laughs, and the move was generally panned as a disaster. Not only was TO the de facto #1 WR, he didn't even bother to mention Evans. Geesh, you'd think if these guys know they're doing a story later that day on a given team, that they'd do a little prep?

You should not waste your time listening to Trent Dilfer. I either mute him or change the channel when he's on. Schlereth is very good, however, and I always like hearing his takes. If Mark was agreeing with Dilfer, then he lowered his own standards just to build Dilfer up during that piece on the Bills. Plus Schlereth has always hated Owens, so he would not have been congratulating any team that took a chance on him.

Which brings me back to Trent Dilfer. He is not well spoken, he is not not funny, he has no original... or if they are original, they are always wrong...takes. He is about as good an NFL anaylist as was an NFL QB. He sucks. Compare him to Jaws. Jaws spends countless hours studying QB and offensive film, and then giving us his educated opinions about what he's talking about. Dilfer might take a few minutes to wax his head with makeup before each appearance, and then he just blabbers on and on as if he was calling out playes he was about to screw up in the huddle.

Just give me the old days of Chris Berman and Tommy Jackson. I could listen to them for hours.

I don't see the point in assigning the label "#1 wide receiver". On most depth charts, there is a starting right WR and a starting left WR. Different guys are #1's in different situations. If you absolutely NEED to label a WR #1, wait and see which WR the opposition assigns to their best cornerback. That's how you know.

I don't see the point in assigning the label "#1 wide receiver". On most depth charts, there is a starting right WR and a starting left WR. Different guys are #1's in different situations. If you absolutely NEED to label a WR #1, wait and see which WR the opposition assigns to their best cornerback. That's how you know.

Good concept, but wrong. Every team has, or aspires to have, that number one premeier WR, earning the huge contract. Then, after they pay their number one guy, as soon as the number two gets numbers close to the number one, the number two threatens to hold out or demands to be traded for the number one guy's money.

T.O. is way past worring about being the number one receiver earning the most money. He's starting his what, 13th or 14th season, and despite being in excellent shape with the skills to continue to score 10 TD's a year, even he knows he's too old to worry about Larry Fitzgerald contracts. So for Dilfer to call T.O. the Bills number one receiver, when Evans is already on the team earning the big bucks, it just proves how stupid Dilfer is.

Good concept, but wrong. Every team has, or aspires to have, that number one premeier WR, earning the huge contract. Then, after they pay their number one guy, as soon as the number two gets numbers close to the number one, the number two threatens to hold out or demands to be traded for the number one guy's money.

T.O. is way past worring about being the number one receiver earning the most money. He's starting his what, 13th or 14th season, and despite being in excellent shape with the skills to continue to score 10 TD's a year, even he knows he's too old to worry about Larry Fitzgerald contracts. So for Dilfer to call T.O. the Bills number one receiver, when Evans is already on the team earning the big bucks, it just proves how stupid Dilfer is.

So you're saying that if this year, TO has more plays called for him to be the first option, gets more balls thrown to him, catches more passes, for more TDs, gets more double teams, and is the go-to guy in more clutch situations, Evans is the #1 WR?

I'm not at all saying that is going to happen, but...