Kelsay too?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the Bills not laid an egg in a snooze-fest performance against Miami in Toronto and not mishandled the extension of a career losing HC, they would have never pulled the trigger on the $6 mil. PR stunt that was the T.O. signing. Any benefits from his presence are secondary to the PR role that T.O. served. More smoke and mirrors by Ralph Wilson to keep the sheep interested just enough. Also see Marv Levy as GM. :wallbash:

I think the "TO Effect" (it should have its own name) was a mix of football and marketing advancements. There is no doubt that the TO Effect will help the offense considerably (at least until the left side of the line was decimated). At 6.5 per, there is no doubt in my mind that the FO was considering upgrading their roster. That said, we'd be fools to think that this decision was not made with equal concern over the "TO Effect" on ticket sales, Toronto sales, merchandising sales, etc.

Also, I haven't seen anyone account for the largest component of the "TO Effect": Media coverage. I listen to NFL Radio, NFL Network, ESPN, etc and all off season you hear nothing (I mean NOTHING) about the Bills unless Joe from Buffalo calls in. Since the TO Effect took place, there has been more coverage of the Bills than anyone else. TE all of a sudden is the most quoted/interviewed QB this side of Cutler.

The TO Effect restores Buffalo's football relevance that has been lost to 9 years of playoff futility. Is he going to help the passing game? No doubt. Is he going to bring back interest in a very dangerous flux year which could define the momentum of the organization for 2011 and beyond? Most definitely yes. I'm confident the latter was not lost on the FO when signing TO.

:wallbash::thumbsup::wallbash:

What can they get for a pass rusher who can't rush the passer and falls for every change of direction play?

Right. I actually remember one specific play last year, I think it was Kelsay, maybe Denney, but they finally

got INTO the backfield, the QB or back made a change of direction and the DE looked like they were on

roller-skates. It was really pretty funny.

Strange how some plays stick out in your mind.

I think the "TO Effect" (it should have its own name) was a mix of football and marketing advancements. There is no doubt that the TO Effect will help the offense considerably (at least until the left side of the line was decimated). At 6.5 per, there is no doubt in my mind that the FO was considering upgrading their roster. That said, we'd be fools to think that this decision was not made with equal concern over the "TO Effect" on ticket sales, Toronto sales, merchandising sales, etc.

Also, I haven't seen anyone account for the largest component of the "TO Effect": Media coverage. I listen to NFL Radio, NFL Network, ESPN, etc and all off season you hear nothing (I mean NOTHING) about the Bills unless Joe from Buffalo calls in. Since the TO Effect took place, there has been more coverage of the Bills than anyone else. TE all of a sudden is the most quoted/interviewed QB this side of Cutler.

The TO Effect restores Buffalo's football relevance that has been lost to 9 years of playoff futility. Is he going to help the passing game? No doubt. Is he going to bring back interest in a very dangerous flux year which could define the momentum of the organization for 2011 and beyond? Most definitely yes. I'm confident the latter was not lost on the FO when signing TO.

Good post, I agree with your points, especially about recapturing the attention of the sports media capital of the world, Bristol Connecticut.

Yeah, they shouldn't draft any guys for that reason!! :wallbash:

Way to miss the obvious, einstein. The point is if you're going to rebuild, why do it under a lame duck coach? Bring in the new guy so he can implement his system now and bring in the right personnel for that system. But that makes too much sense for this FO, so we'll do it ass-backwards. Let's draft players that fit the current system, then fire the coach who brought them in and hope the new coach who inherits them can make it work. :thumbsup:

Some people can't have it both ways. I think you said it perfectly IQ. It was a good move for marketing and football. The Bills needed both at the time and pulled the trigger. Leave it to the miserable group, to spin it and make it seem like we didn't make ourselves better on the field.

:rolleyes::P:w00t:

What can they get for a pass rusher who can't rush the passer and falls for every change of direction play?

Great. Another marginal player we broke the bank for being sent on his way. How many Jason Peters' coud we have signed with the money wasted on Dockery, Mike Williams and Kelsay? Good riddance to a money-in, no-sacks out machine. But don't forget, he brought his "lunch pail" to work and had a "high motor". I just hope that the FO finally understands that attitude and character are for crap if you don't have the talent. Are you listening Poz?

ya, they had a critical need for a legitimate #2 WR, that's the point.

selling jerseys, selling season tickets, filling seats, creating buzz - choose your financial outcome...is the secondary benefit, not the primary.

I never denied the Bills need for a viable #2.

But if you think the TO signing was not done with a heavy emphasis on potential ticket sales, you are kidding yourself. Was it a coincidence the Bills announced "extended" ticket office hours soon after his signing? They knew the kind of buzz his kind of signing would produce. Hell, they were banking on it.

To put it another way, if season ticket renewals were happening at an acceptable rate, and Coles still said no, do you honestly think the Bills pull the trigger on the TO deal? IMHO, I do not. I believe they would have continued to look at other options, and may have gone into training camp hoping one of last years rookies steps up.

The Bills need to sell every regular season ticket they can before the season starts. That's their "insurance" money. If Jauron tanks another season, and fans stop showing up, the Bills have the prepaid tickets money in their pocket. They will still lose out on parking, concessions, etc ..., but they have the ticket money.

But if you think the TO signing was not done with a heavy emphasis on potential ticket sales, you are kidding yourself. Was it a coincidence the Bills announced "extended" ticket office hours soon after his signing? They knew the kind of buzz his kind of signing would produce. Hell, they were banking on it.

The extended hours announcement was part of the T.O. signing announcement. It was the same text message.

Yes, it was total coincidence. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes::P:w00t:

Bubkus.

The organization that gave him a huge contract extension for no apparent reason will get nothing. The other teams in the league actually look at video and can recognize a bust when they see one.

Looking at the shape the Pats, 'Fins, and Jets are in, we're falling quickly.

Look i understand the Pats.They are the class of our division right now.But why are you so high on the Phins and Jets.Tell me what they are doing that has you soooooo scared as a Bills fan.Both teams will struggle to find an answer at the QB position and Brady can't live forever.I like the direction of the team.But I also think that Trent will shine in this league.He makes quick reads and has an above average arm.I guess I can see all the worry if you are convinced that Trent will never be a good QB.

Looking ahead to next year we have enough talent right now to be a wild card team and finish second in this division.And the off season isn't even half way over yet.Don't look at this thing day by day.We still have a couple of months before training camp even opens.Unless you are in the room with the decision makers you don't know what the plans are.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpag...NFL&id=2278

This just showed up on Rotoworld.

Personally, I'll send Kelsay and our 4th to any other team just for a high five. I might even let them kick me in the groin too.

If I were Russ, this is how my trade conversations over Kelsay would go:

Me, playing Russ: "So, any interest in Chris Kelsay?"

Al Davis/Dan Snyder/Jerry Jones/Whoever picks up: "Hmmm, seems like a high motor, lunch pail carrying rotational player. We'll give you..."

Me, playing Russ: "Done."

Al Davis/Dan Snyder/Jerry Jones/Whoever picks up: "That was a disturbingly quick trade negotiation..."

Me, playing Russ: "You're just really good at this."

Al Davis/Dan Snyder/Jerry Jones/Whoever picks up: "Thanks!"

If I were Russ, this is how my trade conversations over Kelsay would go:

Me, playing Russ: "So, any interest in Chris Kelsay?"

Al Davis/Dan Snyder/Jerry Jones/Whoever picks up: "Hmmm, seems like a high motor, lunch pail carrying rotational player. We'll give you..."

Me, playing Russ: "Done."

Al Davis/Dan Snyder/Jerry Jones/Whoever picks up: "That was a disturbingly quick trade negotiation..."

Me, playing Russ: "You're just really good at this."

Al Davis/Dan Snyder/Jerry Jones/Whoever picks up: "Thanks!"

Awesome!!!!! ROFL. Is that from somewhere? Seems like a Dilbert joke.

Sadly, that's just from my deranged noggin.

While off topic, you really want that fat, head case at 11? Doesn't Peters and Mike Williams make you a little afraid of picks like that now? Also, considering how deep this draft is at Tackle?

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpag...NFL&id=2278

This just showed up on Rotoworld.

Personally, I'll send Kelsay and our 4th to any other team just for a high five. I might even let them kick me in the groin too.

a 4th? :devil:

Not with that contract. I'd be surprised if we could get anything, I'm thinking if he isn't with the Bills next year, it's not because someone traded for him, but because we cut his azz.