Anthony Bourdain... No Reservations

BillsFanNC

I loved KC, a great book. Tells the true stories about what went on in the kitchens. Also I like his stories about the CIA. He mentions a chef in he book (Chef Bagna) who was a real terror in the kitchen.

I knew he was a bit of a party guy but I never imagined he was in that much trouble with drugs. Amazing he's where he is at this point.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew he was a bit of a party guy but I never imagined he was in that much trouble with drugs. Amazing he's where he is at this point.

It's kind of hard not to party hardy while working 10 feet from a fully stocked bar with the underbelly of society as AB puts it. It's pretty amazing where I am at this point as well.

It's kind of hard not to party hardy while working 10 feet from a fully stocked bar with the underbelly of society as AB puts it. It's pretty amazing where I am at this point as well.

Restaurant business just lends itself to drug culture. Lot's of peope in and out ... plenty of cash ... employees that are not generally mainstream ... late nights.

No doubt. Not to mention the symbiotic relationship between the bar and the kitchen that Bourdain refers too. I laugh at the complimentary one drink sign in my kitchen! We usually start partying as soon after the main part of the rush is over. Then we knock back bottles of wine after work. Perks of the job!

Love his show. Very funny guy with some great commentary throughout each episode. Usually catch myself laughing out loud a couple times a show. I actually saw something a couple months ago about how they had a contest to have him do an episode on your home city. The guy from Buffalo made the final 3, but didn't win. Bourdain really liked the "feel" he got from the Buffalo guy and said something insinuating that a Buffalo episode would be inevitable.

Love his show. Very funny guy with some great commentary throughout each episode. Usually catch myself laughing out loud a couple times a show. I actually saw something a couple months ago about how they had a contest to have him do an episode on your home city. The guy from Buffalo made the final 3, but didn't win. Bourdain really liked the "feel" he got from the Buffalo guy and said something insinuating that a Buffalo episode would be inevitable.

Having lived around the country I am still amazed at the food scene in Buffalo. Not a "pretty boy" town but absolutely outstanding eats. Buffalo is a class town when it comes to bars and eating establishments.

• 3 months later...
I thought it would be an all-Buffalo episode. I'm still waiting for Dave Atell to do an episode of Insomniac in Buffalo.

PTR

I always thought the same thing....right up his alley...Anyways.....is this show still on?

Just read this quote from Tony:

“Alice Waters annoys the living shiit out of me. We're all in the middle of a recession, like we're all going to start buying expensive organic food and running to the green market. There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic.”

<_<

This is one of the few things I hate about SF because yes we are in the middle of a recession and yes all the hippies are doing exactly that. Everything is organic, sustainable, green, blah blah blah.

A while back, he did one in Cleveland. Harvey Pekar was a major part of it.

It was the first time I'd heard of the future Iron Chef, Michael Symon. The show, which I downloaded off iTunes to DVD, was complimentary of the city, its architecture, and its dining (especially the foods available at the West Side Market).

Problem was, Bourdain apparently visited in March, when the predominant colors are gray and white. <_<

• 1 month later...

I'm a huge Bourdain fan - reminds me of my grandfather and the old restaurant days. I'd love to explore a cities restaurants with Tony!

It's too bad he didn't get to hit a couple more restaurants or, of course, go to a Bills game. Still the montage had a lot of hits and he got in the wings and Beef on Weck, plus watching a bombed Zamir get mobbed was awesome. He did what he does, explored a touch of the city with a local guide (and he loves Starr). Still, I would love to have seen more of the city!

I loved the Baltimore segment, I jumped out of my seat when I saw Snoop Pearson. The Wire, is absolutely amazing and Snoop was unforgettable and pretty much the same in real life.

That feather bowling game looked pretty fun too. Can't believe that I haven't ever seen that game before! Seems good for drinking...

It's too bad he didn't get to hit a couple more restaurants or, of course, go to a Bills game. Still the montage had a lot of hits and he got in the wings and Beef on Weck, plus watching a bombed Zamir get mobbed was awesome. He did what he does, explored a touch of the city with a local guide (and he loves Starr). Still, I would love to have seen more of the city!

my thoughts as well.

Would've been cool if they had walked down the street from Nietzsche's over to the Old Pink for a steak sandwich.