Ralph's comments at the hall of fame press conference

berndogg

For the people that didn't see it, he gave a long speech about how much the team means to buffalo, how football isn't about making a profit to him, its about the fathers that take the kids to the game, about the competition and about the quality of life for the people in the community. He was talking about how crushing it would be for the team to leave buffalo and (i thnk he was referring to the colts) said its a crushing blow to a city when they wake up one day and their football team is gone. It might be wishful thinking, and I know its been said that the team will go to the highest bidder, but listening to him, I can't help but think he's gonna find a way to make sure the team stays after he dies.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the people that didn't see it, he gave a long speech about how much the team means to buffalo, how football isn't about making a profit to him, its about the fathers that take the kids to the game, about the competition and about the quality of life for the people in the community. He was talking about how crushing it would be for the team to leave buffalo and (i thnk he was referring to the colts) said its a crushing blow to a city when they wake up one day and their football team is gone. It might be wishful thinking, and I know its been said that the team will go to the highest bidder, but listening to him, I can't help but think he's gonna find a way to make sure the team stays after he dies.

Actually, I think he was referring to the Browns when they loaded a semi in the middle of night and moved away

But you might be right

Actually, I think he was referring to the Browns when they loaded a semi in the middle of night and moved away

But you might be right

Browns fans had the agony of knowing for the last few games that the team would be gone. Both are terrible scenarios, not sure what's worse.

here are the comments:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/01/31/w...lty-to-buffalo/

Wilson applauded for loyalty to Buffalo

Chris Brown

Posted January 31st, 2009

Tags: Ralph Wilson

At the Hall of Fame press conference announcing the 2009 class, Bills owner Ralph Wilson was applauded in Tampa for his loyalty to Buffalo as his team’s home city. Here was his comment that drew the applause.

“When I started the franchise in Buffalo, I believe you have to have consistency in a franchise because people become attached to a franchise. They take their children to the game. So many people across the country I have met have said, ‘My father used to take me to the games in Old War Memorial Stadium in downtown Buffalo and we used to stand in the end zone.’”

“People in a community become attached to a team. It gives them a quality of life and I don’t think, and I’ve always voted against it, maybe other people think differently. But I came into the game because I enjoy the game and wanted to be a part of ownership. Pro football to me is not about making money. That might sound a little off the track, but it’s not. It’s a matter of competition, the thrill of the game being the greatest sport in America, the thrill of seeing some players like Rod Woodson, Bruce Smith and all the players I’ve seen over the last half century.”

“And I think even though Buffalo is receding economically, it’s more difficult for us to operate than other areas, but we can still survive. And I think it would be very damaging, speaking just for Buffalo now, to move that team. I think it would be crushing to the fans if they didn’t have that team win or lose. And I think as long as a team is not losing a lot of money and can afford to stay they shouldn’t move. If they can get some help from the residents and taxpayers and some help on their own, they should stay.”

“So I have voted against all relocations, all, because I don’t think it was right. When a sportswriter came up to me and asked me, ‘Hey did you know that such and such a team has moved to such and such a city?’ So the people in that city wake up in the morning and they don’t have a team anymore. And that’s not right. We’re involved in a sport and a sport to me is not just to make money. And that’s why in a long-winded answer to your question I have kept the team (in Buffalo).”

I have never been very optimistic about the team staying in Buffalo after Ralph's passing, but I have to admit that the guy really defines himself by his loyalty to Buffalo. That gives me some hope that he may require his family to sell to owners who will agree to keep the team in WNY, at least for a specified period of time.

then they are doomed to endless mediocrity... and I guess thats good enough for WNYers .. just to have a team, crappy as it will always be, than not to have one at all... yep , sounds like the buffalo i know...

Are you saying there is something wrong with that sentiment? I can't imagine how not having a team is somehow better than having one that is mediocre. :thumbsup:

Are you saying there is something wrong with that sentiment? I can't imagine how not having a team is somehow better than having one that is mediocre. :thumbsup:

some people don't have a clue what an economic impact the Bills have on the region...as bad as things are now, if we ever lose the Bills, things will get a lot worse

Not only economically but quality of life, identity, pride etc.....They are a HUGE factor to quality of life in Buffalo. They WILL remain in Buffalo. Nobody is moving the team. Keep in mind that Buffalo is losing population BUT we have close to 4 Million people within 60 miles. That is hardly a small population!

The thing is I think most Bills fans just don't realize how small a market Buffalo really is compared to the bigger markets, love him or hate him you still need to admire Ralph Wilson for keeping the team in Buffalo when he could have moved the franchise many many times for more money, I know I do.

Now that he will have a HoF ring like Jim Kelly,Marv levy, Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith I wonder If he will change his outlook on the current head coach and staff?

if he is so set on keeping the team in Buffalo why doesnt he sell the team now to make sure it happens instead of continuing to own a team he clearly has no clue how to run anymore

Ralph is saying what he thinks he has to say in hopes of not getting booed at the ceremony

if he is so set on keeping the team in Buffalo why doesnt he sell the team now to make sure it happens instead of continuing to own a team he clearly has no clue how to run anymore

Ralph is saying what he thinks he has to say in hopes of not getting booed at the ceremony

Name one person with the money that has given a 100% absolute assurance that they'll keep the team in Buffalo for 50 more years. Please.

But you might be right

that was the colts when they moved to indy....................everybody knew the browns were leaving....they still make jokes about when the baltimore colts packed up in the middle of the night and split for indy.....go bills in"2012

That's great to hear. I have never believed that Ralph would simply own the team until he dies and then let the estate do with it whatever they might without a succession plan. I do believe that Ralph knows what he wants for the future of the franchise and has carefully explored privately those options weighing what's good for his family and the city of Buffalo. It would not surprise me if Ralph sold a majority stake in the team in the next couple years while he is alive and continued to be a shareholder until his death. Finding a buyer who can pay market value or close and that will keep the team in Buffalo is likely a difficult task but I believe it has and is being explored.

1. Taxes and family. His family will be better off not to pay capital gains AND estate taxes but just the latter.

2. His ownership is the best guarantee that the team stays in Buffalo bar none. He'll never move the team.

3. He can't unilaterally stop franchise relocation. Like he said, he doesn't like it and votes against it, but it happens.

Who has offered to buy the team, and keep it in Buffalo?