ESPN article about Greer

BillsFan74

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I misunderstood your original point. I took it as that you were downplaying the need for a passing attack offensively and the need to defend against the passing attack based on weather.

I will say this.....there is no better way to defend against the pass than by knocking the opposing quarterback on his ass. Sacks and consistent pressure will cause turnovers. Even the best dbs can't cover a pro wideout for 10 seconds. It isn't possible.

And to be clear, while I do not discount the need for a good passing attack, I make the case that running the football is of more importance to cold weather teams than it is to warm weather or dome teams.

I think the best part of the article is the fact that the picture in it is of George Wilson not Greer! GOOD JOB....TIMMYYYYYYYY! LMAO! :thumbsup:

TG has no say in the pictures picked. He writes the article and then someone at ESPN's internet division puts it up with their graphics. I'm very sure that's how it works.

It isn't about drafting a first round db here and there when the rest of the team is strong. It is about the mania of doing so and neglecting all else.

Do you know that the last time the Bills selected a Guard below the 5th round was? 1995!!! I am too lazy to look up the corners since then, but you do get the idea.

You did name quite a few d-linemen that were picked early. I guess they simply have to keep going until they get it right, because imo all of them are second rate except Schobel and Stroud.

Correct, good teams build from the inside out. Once they have a solid foundation they can focus on the difference makers on the outside.

We have drafted very talented DBs with our 1st round picks, but guys that would have been a lot better if they had better help up front.

Last year our CB situation was good, not great, good, McKelvin is a talented player that ended the year on high note, but the depth on the OL was pathetic. Brandon Albert would have been a very good pick instead of McKelvin.

And that is something that bothers me, they draft talented CBs. but they don't let them show it on the field.

You might not believe this, but in a way I feel sorry for Whitner.

No i believe you, because your problem is with the way the front office draft. He must have been going nuts watching a scrub like leonard tear it up in the ravens D. He'd be a much bigger playmaker if he had a decent front 7 to play behind.

My point was that the Bills problems haven't stemmed from from bad 1st round picks, but from questionable picks in the early-middle rounds, especially along the OL. You can easily find some real gems in rounds 2-4 along the OL. On lots of successful teams, they have a decent number of round 2-4 OL. This, imo, is where the Bills have failed.

This year, barring some cataclysmic accident where McKelvin, Greer and McGee all get hurt before the end of april, there's no need to draft a DB in rounds 1 or 2. They could make a case for a safety in round 3, but i'd rather have them fill needs elsewhere. Scott-Whitner will be more than adequate while we re-tool the defensive front 7, get a TE, and snag depth along the OL.

It's interesting that the Final 4 teams this year all had I believe 1st round safeties in Wilson, Dawkins, Troy P, and Ed Reed. Reed and Crazy hair aren't that much bigger than Whitner. And for the lack of DL being paid attention by the Bills, Schobel, Denney and Kelsay were all 2nd rounders and McCargo and Stroud were former 1st rounders. So they paid attention. They just selected th wrong guys.

Dawkins was a second round pick and the remaining players were mid to late first rounders.... about where Whitner "should" have been taken.

Actually, Donte just dropped a bit in my book. Hope that was in the offseason. If he put that much

effort into his game, he'd be an absolute all-pro.

Thing I think is funny about that video. Looks like he had a great time with his "friends", ya know

the ones that are there for the party, not for Donte.

so what??..this crap about how much each player costs is crap and something us fans shouldnt need to worry about...money paid to players is a FO worry not mine...I want to keep players that can play and stop getting rid of them.

Good draft Tsaikotic - I would draft my center in round 2, but overall I like your thinking - and I also would love to see Drew Willy end up in Buffalo.

Anybody remember any NE game over the last 3 years?

We NEED 4 good CB's if we are ever going to beat them. We need McLovin, Greer AND McGee.

So, what about 2010 when we dont have McGee anymore via free agency? Except now, we would have gotten nothing in return...so your logic only matters if you feel we are talented enough in other areas to win the Super Bowl in 2009 and we are putting together a serious run at the SB next year.

If we are NOT a SB caliber next year, then keeping McGee for one season has little value to the team if we can get more talent at other weak spots that will contribute to a more realistic SB push in 2010 or 2011 with some upgrades of talent at our weaker areas.

They will NOT sign McGee in 2010 if we keep Greer this year based on what he will command in FA and the fact that we have Greer, Leodis, and 2 other young up and coming corners in Youboty and R. Corner.

So anyone who wants to keep McGee for one more season needs to go follow the link below to the thread about when you honestly think we will win the Super Bowl and put 2009 as your answer.

Link to thread

If you remember, Youbouty was playing probably better than any of our other DB's before he got injured.

I dont know if I would go that far, but you are right, he was playing really good football and showing the potential he had coming out of college that had him projected as high as the late first round but somehow fell to us in the 3rd.

Right now, his biggest knock may be his durability, but he really stepped up his play on the field this year.

Look, the Bills lost the 1st superbowl because of stupid coaching. Thurman should have seen the ball more. The Giants carved up the field in time consuming drives and Levy answered with a no huddle. Great. :thumbsup:

Brady? Like it or not, he is an all time great. He also has a terrific OL, that is equally good at run and pass blocking. Also, look at the monsters on their D Line and consider where they were drafted. Were they built by drafting 1st round safeties and corners?

McNabb? He is good too. So if you don't mind me asking, wtf is your point? :blink: Where did I say that teams shouldn't throw? Every team needs a balanced attack, but the Bills can't make a yard or 2 on 3rd and short. Holding their opponents on 3rd and short is an even bigger joke.

The teams you named are big and aggressive. The Superbowl Bills were stocked with talent but they lacked a coach to take them over the top. Sorry if anyone I offend with this, but it is true.

I can understand taking a stand against Marv the GM but now he was what held the team back as a coach. The Bills were put in a position to win the only superbowl they should have one. The truth is that the skins and cowboys rank up there with some of the greatest teams of all time. Take a break from the crusade your embarassing yourself.

I will say this.....there is no better way to defend against the pass than by knocking the opposing quarterback on his ass. Sacks and consistent pressure will cause turnovers. Even the best dbs can't cover a pro wideout for 10 seconds. It isn't possible.

And to be clear, while I do not discount the need for a good passing attack, I make the case that running the football is of more importance to cold weather teams than it is to warm weather or dome teams.

I agree with you on all points. We should be playing steeler ball but we don't even come close in style.

I can understand taking a stand against Marv the GM but now he was what held the team back as a coach. The Bills were put in a position to win the only superbowl they should have one. The truth is that the skins and cowboys rank up there with some of the greatest teams of all time. Take a break from the crusade your embarassing yourself.

I love Marv Levy to death and I'm extremely greatful that he was our HC for the time that he was here, but I will say this, My father and I always go back and say that we should have thrown one more pass before the Norwood debacle and tried to get a little closer for that FG attempt. Other than that, :thumbsup:

TG has no say in the pictures picked. He writes the article and then someone at ESPN's internet division puts it up with their graphics. I'm very sure that's how it works.

Than the people involved should be shot! It just goes to show you how much respect the media and ESPN for that matter has for the Buffalo Bills. Something so trivial can be seen by many as "not that big a deal", but for a team that already garners no respect and rightly so, it's still a Dis IMHO :thumbsup: