ESPN article about Greer

BillsFan74

there doesn't need to be a choice between the 2 right now. Keep greer and then see what happens next offseason. If our young Cbs develop right, we can let McGee walk. If they don't sign McGee to a 3-4 year contract. Greer won't command near the money of McGee either. No way.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's obvious the other way: keep McGee.

They are about the same age, and will command about the same amount of money. McGee is better; and can return kicks too.

They are not the same age. Greer is 2 years younger, which actually matters in the NFL.

As for his returning kicks, we don't necessarily need that. We have a few of those guys on the roster as it is. Playing corner, Greer has better instincts than McGee, in my opinion.

And they will not command the same amount of money. McGee has a far bigger reputation than Greer at this point. McGee was a starter from day 1, has 16 career interceptions. Greer only got a chance because of injury. McGee will command a big buck (especially considering his kick return skills). Greer can be had for $4 or $5 million a year. And I truly believe Greer is just as good.

They are not the same age. Greer is 2 years younger, which actually matters in the NFL.

As for his returning kicks, we don't necessarily need that. We have a few of those guys on the roster as it is. Playing corner, Greer has better instincts than McGee, in my opinion.

And they will not command the same amount of money. McGee has a far bigger reputation than Greer at this point. McGee was a starter from day 1, has 16 career interceptions. Greer only got a chance because of injury. McGee will command a big buck (especially considering his kick return skills). Greer can be had for $4 or $5 million a year. And I truly believe Greer is just as good.

Disagree.

McGee will be a free agent at 30. He will command less than Greer will today. Not to mention, McGee is pretty durable and has a good number of years left in him. Look at Antoine Winfield, who has crossed 30 and doesn't show signs of slowing down anytime soon. McGee is the type of player nobody appreciates while he's here... but will miss dearly when he's gone.

I guarantee you that Greer is not a secret among personnel folks in the league. They will offer him money no different than that offered to McGee, particularly because, as you point out, he's younger and just as good.

YES! McGee could turn into a 2nd round pick or possibly a low 1st - BJ Raji, pick 1, Michael Johnson, pick 2, Eric Wood pick 3. If they could just find a TE, they'd be fine.

No way does McGee bring a 1st or 2nd round pick, you might get a 4th rounder for him. I say keep him for his last year and we will have depth at one of the most critical position on the field. Not sure how much a hit his signing bonus would be against us either, but why trade him away for such a low pick.

The problem then is that you're paying a free safety #1-CB money.

Now or next year?

IIRC, he never tested FA waters, he signed an extension and a good one for both parties. If you move him to FS now, when he becomes FA, you can adjust his salary to the position.

Here are a few interesting points from ESPN's AFC East Blog regarding Greer.

He is Buffalo's most significant free agent. Cornerbacks are a precious commodity in the NFL, and there aren't a lot in this year's pool. Greer could be looking at a four-year contract worth between $4 million and $5 million on the open market.But Greer isn't necessarily interested in going up for bids.

"I definitely want to get something done with Buffalo," said Greer, who will turn 27 next week. "It's a spot that I have so much appreciation for. I appreciate the opportunity that they gave me.

"It's kind of weird to be in this situation, to have a choice. But at the end of the day, I know the community. I know my teammates. They're a spectacular group of guys, and it's a fun place to play."

Wow. If the "Inner Circle-Jerks" think Jabari is a keeper, they damn well better sign him now, because any good football player that thinks the current Buffalo Bills are spectacular and that Buffalo is a fun place to play, needs to be kept in Buffalo and also needs to pass around whatever good drugs they are currently taking!! That kind of positive attitude is what begins building winners!! That said, I am now sure that the Jerks will let him leave. :thumbsup:

Disagree.

McGee will be a free agent at 30. He will command less than Greer will today. Not to mention, McGee is pretty durable and has a good number of years left in him. Look at Antoine Winfield, who has crossed 30 and doesn't show signs of slowing down anytime soon. McGee is the type of player nobody appreciates while he's here... but will miss dearly when he's gone.

Exactly, when he ends up on the Pats.

Link

"He was telling me that I gave him hell. He told me what a good athlete I was. I was surprised that he came up to me and shook my hand and told me that. I thought he'd be doing something else instead of coming up to me and telling me how good I played." - Bills CB Terrence McGee, who was approached on the field by Patriots coach Bill Belichick after Sunday's game.

BB doesn't do that to too many players, especially Bills... he would pounce on McGee if he hit the open market.

Wow. If the "Inner Circle-Jerks" think Jabari is a keeper, they damn well better sign him now, because any good football player that thinks the current Buffalo Bills are spectacular and that Buffalo is a fun place to play, needs to be kept in Buffalo and also needs to pass around whatever good drugs they are currently taking!! That kind of positive attitude is what begins building winners!! That said, I am now sure that the Jerks will let him leave. :thumbsup:

there has to be an ulterior motive behind greer's comments...it has to be a negotiating ploy. how anyone could want to stay here and run themselves to death on the treadmill of mediocrity is beyond me. how could a free agent look around at all the guys that left here in the last couple of years and landed right in the playoffs...and then NOT want the hell out while they were still in their prime. this team is going nowhere with the current ownership and everyone knows it.

Like Greer a little more than McGee.

Letting McGee go could be good for the Bills. If McKelvin

and corner improve and Greer can step in, I say trade him.

Let McGee start next season and have the best season of his

career (what often happens when a player is looking at

free agency), franchise tag him and get whatever we can for

him. McGee would be worth more than most CB's because of

his return ability.

The Bills showed there hand by drafting 2 CB's last year that their

intention was either McGee or Greer would be gone. Don't see them

both here.

Thread should have ended with this post

Greer/McGee/McKelvin make a better combination than Greer/McKelvin/???

ok if we're going along that thinking than

Greer/Mcgee/Mckelvin/Clements/Winfield better combination than Greer/Mcgee/Mckelvin ???

Football economics play a factor you know...

Signing Greer provides all kinds of flexibility. It is insurance in case McGee walks next year. It is also insurance in case McKelvin struggles in his sophomore year. It also would keep us from having to invest a high draft pick on a CB yet again in 2009 or 2010. It sounds like Greer, who is coming off a knee injury, is willing to take a home team discount. So why not oblige?

Top me 4-5 million in todays NFL salary cap structure is cheap for a CB like Greer. I'd love to see him stay here.

We need to keep them both.

If Buffalo could get a 2nd rounder for McGee then I'd say let him go but anything less than that wouldn't make sense. My first choice would be to lock up Greer and negotiate an extension to McGee too. As the excerpt from the article above stresses the importance of CB's in the league right now. I think if the Bills can keep McGee and Greer then they will have one of, if not, the deepest CB roster in the league with Greer, McGee, McKelvin and Corner.

Disagree.

:thumbsup: I still say if McGee's worth a second rounder trade him. Winfield was let go in FA and therefore for no compensation at all.

Exactly, when he ends up on the Pats.

Link

BB doesn't do that to too many players, especially Bills... he would pounce on McGee if he hit the open market.

This is a good reason, IMO, to trade him this year because the Bills could keep him away from the AFCE and get something for him rather than let him become a FA next year. Usually when trades are made in a players final year a long term contract is given out by the team that traded for him.

there has to be an ulterior motive behind greer's comments...it has to be a negotiating ploy. how anyone could want to stay here and run themselves to death on the treadmill of mediocrity is beyond me. how could a free agent look around at all the guys that left here in the last couple of years and landed right in the playoffs...and then NOT want the hell out while they were still in their prime. this team is going nowhere with the current ownership and everyone knows it.

:thumbsup: Not everyone.

The problem then is that you're paying a free safety #1-CB money.

so what??..this crap about how much each player costs is crap and something us fans shouldnt need to worry about...money paid to players is a FO worry not mine...I want to keep players that can play and stop getting rid of them.