Why NE is gonna franchise Cassel - read this

Alphadawg7

I'd be pretty willing to believe that the agent made up the "3 year offer from Buffalo with a BIG signing bonus" to get Cassel to toe his line in negotiations to come with the Patriots. And Cassel told his mom and the mom told you. I don't believe that the rumor is actually true though.

This could be very well what happened...either that or the agent is looking for a 3 or 4 year deal to try and get Cassel 3 paydays instead of 2 and she just assumed the Bills would offer this if they were interested.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no reason not to because they don't have another player. Put it this way, if they had signed Kurt Warner, or a player of his ability to be the back-up this year, Trent would not be a guaranteed starter this year. The same way that Leinart wasn't a guaranteed starter in AZ although the team wanted him to be. If Losman played better in 2007, Trent wouldnt be the starter here either (but he obviously didnt). Trent has showed promise, and is pretty good right now. He still has a LOT of serious question marks going into his third season. I do expect him to be the starter in 2009 but that is only because I think we have several bigger needs and I dont expect us to have a viable back-up starter.

Good post...I pretty much agree with all of it. I too expect him to be the starter, however, I wont be surprised to see us take a QB in the first 4 rounds kind of like we took Trent right after JP had his best 8 game stretch and was showing real promise but still had plenty of question marks. Or maybe even bring in someone to push him for the QB spot through free agency

OMG, r u serious? Do you think everyone on set makes big bucks? The people who work under me make about $1100 a week, and the guys below them make about $600 a week and there is a lot more of them, they are called Production Assistants (PA''s) and are around all the stars and crew as much, if not more, than everyone else...so how on earth would what car I drive validate my post?

I call BS as well, what do you do on set?

Are you a fluffer?

Sold for how long? I am sure that they plan to enter 09 with Trent as the starter. There is no reason not to.

There is no reason not to? After the 5-1 start,Trent sucked. He didn't just "struggle at times" or "have a tough stretch",he sucked. Even during the 5-1 stretch he was inconsistent. Poor starts and struggling against blitzes followed by some nice late game comebacks,he showed promise but has MUCH more to prove before we can call him a franchise QB. The poor play at the QB position was the single biggest reason we missed the playoffs. Not DE,not C,not TE not even the coaching staff.QB. IMO we need to bring in somebody and have a true open competition for the starting QB position. If Trent wins the job,great,if not we move on with a new starter.

There is no reason not to? After the 5-1 start Trent sucked. He didn't just "struggle at times" or "have a tough stretch",he sucked. Even during the 5-1 stretch he was inconsistent. Poor starts and struggling against blitzes followed by some nice late game comebacks,he showed promise but has MUCH more to prove before we can call him a franchise QB. The poor play at the QB position was the single biggest reason we missed the playoffs. Not DE,not C,not TE not even the coaching staff.QB. IMO we need to bring in somebody and have a true open competition for the starting QB position. If Trent wins the job,great,if not we move on with a new starter.

Again, you are following the flawed logic that has consumed this team for the past ten years. There are not many Franchise QB's in this league as it is yet you want to discard every guy after 20 or so starts if they don't "look like a franchise QB". That's not how you build a team.

There is no reason not to because they don't have another player. Put it this way, if they had signed Kurt Warner, or a player of his ability to be the back-up this year, Trent would not be a guaranteed starter this year. The same way that Leinart wasn't a guaranteed starter in AZ although the team wanted him to be. If Losman played better in 2007, Trent wouldnt be the starter here either (but he obviously didnt). Trent has showed promise, and is pretty good right now. He still has a LOT of serious question marks going into his third season. I do expect him to be the starter in 2009 but that is only because I think we have several bigger needs and I dont expect us to have a viable back-up starter.

The above is all true. And as good as I think Edwards will be, the Bills really will have to fill other needs to maximizw his potential. They really could do it too, if there was sensible leadership, but look at what they did to JP in the 06 draft. You tell me, is there reason to think that Dick Levy will suddenly change his ways?

Off topic, Warner really got the snot kicked out of him today, including that crazy late hit by the rookie before the half. He should have been ejected. Today, Gandy was getting beat all over the place on passing downs. I want to see what is left of Warner for the superbowl.

There is no reason not to? After the 5-1 start,Trent sucked. He didn't just "struggle at times" or "have a tough stretch",he sucked. Even during the 5-1 stretch he was inconsistent. Poor starts and struggling against blitzes followed by some nice late game comebacks,he showed promise but has MUCH more to prove before we can call him a franchise QB. The poor play at the QB position was the single biggest reason we missed the playoffs. Not DE,not C,not TE not even the coaching staff.QB. IMO we need to bring in somebody and have a true open competition for the starting QB position. If Trent wins the job,great,if not we move on with a new starter.

Great post and my feelings exactly...

Again, you are following the flawed logic that has consumed this team for the past ten years. There are not many Franchise QB's in this league as it is yet you want to discard every guy after 20 or so starts if they don't "look like a franchise QB". That's not how you build a team.

I never said we should discard Trent. He should just not be handed the starting job. As I said in previous posts,he showed flashes,but not enough to where he doesn't need to compete for the job. SD had Brees,yet they still drafted Rivers. Trent needs to WIN this job. If he could manage games and give a consistent level of play,the way Flacco has in Batimore we wouldn't be having this conversation. But he hasn't been able to do that.

I never said we should discard Trent. He should just not be handed the starting job. As I said in previous posts,he showed flashes,but not enough to where he doesn't need to compete for the job. SD had Brees,yet they still drafted Rivers. Trent needs to WIN this job. If he could manage games and give a consistent level of play,the way Flacco has in Batimore we wouldn't be having this conversation. But he hasn't been able to do that.

But the whole premise of this thread is in regards to signing Cassel to a multi-year multi-million dollar contract. If you are talking about a Kerry Collins that's one thing but this move makes no sense.

You still haven't addressed why it's a good idea to throw loads of money at Matt Cassel...

Whoa now, I have never said we should...I only posted the info I got indicating we might have interest. As much as I like Barbara, I am not sold on Cassel as QB, at least not in Buffalo. He has potential, but I never said lets throw a huge contract at him.

I was expressing that Trent has done nothing to cement himself in as our guy for the future and has some serious question marks now. Showing some promise during moments of games doesn't make you a Pro Bowler in the making. He has way more queston marks than certainties, in fact, about the only thing certain about Trent is his fragility to this point.

Overall QB play is the BIGGEST reason why we did not make the playoffs...I didnt say "only" reason, but it was the biggest reason.

Overall QB play is the BIGGEST reason why we did not make the playoffs...I didnt say "only" reason, but it was the biggest reason.

That is an outrageous statement. Even if you are not factoring coaching, both of the lines would have to go ahead of QB...right?

That is an outrageous statement. Even if you are not factoring coaching, both of the lines would have to go ahead of QB...right?

Offensive line play until the last few games, and lack of a real pass rushing DE

were are biggest problems.

Trent was a victim of poor o-line play, shoddy defense and some questionable play

calling after the 5-1 start.

Get a DE, TE, DB and center and this team may be in the playoffs next year.

Of course I agree line play needs to be there, but our O Line played better in the last half of the season, often giving Trent lots of time to throw, yet he couldnt get the ball down field. The O Line pass blocked and run blocked better in the second half of the season, good enough to win us games. Our QB play was terrible during that stretch.

And our Defense is not why we were not in the playoffs...The D Line took a blow with Schobel going down, and we NEED a MUCH better pass rush, I will give you that...but the unit still played well enough for us to win more games...I mean our offense didnt score for like 3 straight games or something like that...

JP and Trent both were terrrible during the second half of the season. Ask yourself this...if we have better play, lets say above average play from our QB position, do we win the Cle, SF, and Jets games? That is a clear yes, you have to admit, and that alone equals 3 more wins and puts us at 10 wins on the season. You can even speculate we likely at least split Mia and NE games...that equals playoffs...

Offensive line play until the last few games, and lack of a real pass rushing DE

were are biggest problems.

Trent was a victim of poor o-line play, shoddy defense and some questionable play

calling after the 5-1 start.

Get a DE, TE, DB and center and this team may be in the playoffs next year.

I agree with you on most of your points,but Trent played HORRIBLE at times when the line played well. That's what concerns me about him. He also appears to be injury prone.

I agree with you on most of your points,but Trent played HORRIBLE at times when the line played well. That's what concerns me about him. He also appears to be injury prone.

I understand he played poorly at times.

I believe with the D's problems, lack of a good TE, lack of a complimentary WR to Evans and

poor play calling contributed to his problems.

About injury prone, I hope not, but it seems that may be a problem. Actually I think this team

has had increased injuries and lack of steam at the end of the season since we fired Rusty Jones.

Come out 5-1 like gangbusters and are out of steam by the end of the season.

I think it bears reviewing who the Bills provided on offense in 08 as opposed to 07. Essentially, Buffalo did nothing player wise on offense. James Hardy, a rookie and raw WR was the only significant addition. To make matters worse, a rookie OC who no less than 3 other franchises didn't think was capable of being an OC was promoted to the position.

Talk about a problem waiting to happen. If you think Edwards was going to be successful with an inept rookie OC and no new weapons off of that 07 season, you're crazy.

I'd really like to know why Edwards consistently failed against 3-4 defenses. Some of that is his fault, some parts youth in the league, with a lot of it a lack of preparation by this coaching staff.

:thumbsup: If we can't have a little fun, there's no sense in playing. I would hope even the people that drive nice cars on this board can appreciate that.

I still shake my head when i think about that skooby post, at how ridiculous of a statement that was. ha :rolleyes:

I think it bears reviewing who the Bills provided on offense in 08 as opposed to 07. Essentially, Buffalo did nothing player wise on offense. James Hardy, a rookie and raw WR was the only significant addition. To make matters worse, a rookie OC who no less than 3 other franchises didn't think was capable of being an OC was promoted to the position.

Talk about a problem waiting to happen. If you think Edwards was going to be successful with an inept rookie OC and no new weapons off of that 07 season, you're crazy.

I'd really like to know why Edwards consistently failed against 3-4 defenses. Some of that is his fault, some parts youth in the league, with a lot of it a lack of preparation by this coaching staff.

To me these struggles are in large part due to his inability to progress through his reads fast enough to this point causing him to hold the ball too long and kind of makes him a statue at times in the pocket. This typically results in either a late throw to an open WR that is no longer open, immediate check down to the someone at or near the line of scrimmage, or he takes a sack/fumble he shouldnt have because he was indecisive.

Before the struggles he seemed to see the field better. But in the second half of the year, he consistently locked on to his targets which is a QB killer too...