Bruce, Andre and Ralph make the HOF cut

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce is a lock. Andre waits (honestly, I suspect that Andre has to wait until he hits the senior abyss). Ralph does not make it.

Here is how I see it breaking down...

Cris Carter: They will induct him this year.

Dermontti Dawson: Possibility.

Richard Dent: Sorry, not getting in when he is going against Bruce.

Russ Grimm: He waits a year or two.

Bob Hayes: They will induct him to honor Dr. Z.

Claude Humphrey: Sorry. Same as Dent.

Cortez Kennedy: See above.

Bob Kuechenberg: Nope.

Randall McDaniel: I see him getting inducted.

John Randle: Possibly this year, but probably next year. He will not have to wait long.

Andre Reed: He is not getting in the same year as Carter and I see Carter getting inducted first.

Shannon Sharpe: I don't see them putting in too many first ballot guys in any one year, but I see Sharpe getting in with Bruce and Woodson.

Bruce Smith: He is in.

Paul Tagliabue: They were purposely waiting on Tags. He was a commissioner, so he is guaranteed a spot, but he might have to wait another year. If he does not make it this year, he will be in within the next year or two.

Derrick Thomas: Not this year.

Ralph Wilson: Maybe next year, but I doubt it.

Rod Woodson: He is in.

Modern Era: Carter, McDaniel, Sharpe, Smith, Woodson (They will always max this out, since they want to induct as many players as possible)

Senior: Hayes (They will elect a token candidate from the seniors each year. If it were up to the selectors, they would eliminate the seniors and expand the modern-era candidates to 50 each year :unsure: )

There are five DL up this year and I see a lot canceling each other out. The only lock is Bruce. There might be a second DL elected, but the lower tier players will have to wait. If a second is inducted, it will probably be Randle.

Carter's induction will keep 'Dre out.

Hayes will be the only senior elected and I think that it will be to honor Dr. Z more than to honor Hayes. That gives a second WR, which further hurts 'Dre.

Now, that is how I see it playing out. I do not agree with it, but I have issues with the selection committee letting in substandard players.

Bruce is a given. I'm not sure about any of the others. Reed hurt his chances with all of those dumb penalties in big games, Tasker (who probably deserves it for his world class special teams play, and being mvp of a probowl as a special teams player) isn't going in because he was "only" a special teams player. Ralph was a voice in the wilderness for a long while, and probably deserves to get in as a founder of the league. I suspect when all is said and done it will be Bruce for sure, Ralph a strong possible, Reed and Tasker as possibles, but very unlikely.

I'm personally hoping that this is the year the late, great Bullet Bob Hayes makes it. It's a shame he hasn't already been inducted, and since I'll be making the roadie to Canton again (went a couple years ago for Thurm's induction), I really hope that they honor Hayes as well.

Bruce is a given. I'm not sure about any of the others. Reed hurt his chances with all of those dumb penalties in big games, Tasker (who probably deserves it for his world class special teams play, and being mvp of a probowl as a special teams player) isn't going in because he was "only" a special teams player. Ralph was a voice in the wilderness for a long while, and probably deserves to get in as a founder of the league. I suspect when all is said and done it will be Bruce for sure, Ralph a strong possible, Reed and Tasker as possibles, but very unlikely.

Please explain. I have many memories of Reed but I don't recall this. He had one bad penalty in the Redskins SB but don't think that cost us the game.

I'm personally hoping that this is the year the late, great Bullet Bob Hayes makes it. It's a shame he hasn't already been inducted, and since I'll be making the roadie to Canton again (went a couple years ago for Thurm's induction), I really hope that they honor Hayes as well.

Was Hayes a difference maker? Did defenses have to game plan around him? I mean, afterall, zone defenses were used to neutralize his speed weren't they?

One thing that needs to be addressed is the HOF voting scheme. I believe it is fatally flawed. Giving the power to just 35 or so voters just smacks of bias. I've said it before, while not perfect by any means, I think baseball gets it right. Get a ballot and send it back in. Football's process, putting the voters in a locked room and debating each candidate, just reeks of political deal-making and promotes favoritism.

Peter King for years kept Art Monk out because, when he covered the Giants for Newsday, the Giants claimed that Skins teammate Gary Clark was the more feared receiver. Year after year, he convinced the voters to keep Monk out for this reason. The voters finally caved last year, or maybe they voted for Monk while King was out getting a latte. I can envision King telling his fellow scribes that Reed doesn't belong because of his inability to go across the middle in Super Bowl XXV against the Giants...

Fix the system. Make it a secret vote. Open it up to more individuals. The process now in place stinks.

Was Hayes a difference maker?

Not much.

Did defenses have to game plan around him?

I doubt it.

I mean, afterall, zone defenses were used to neutralize his speed weren't they?

Probably so.

Come to think of it, he's not Hall of Fame worthy. His career wasn't Skeets Nehemiah-ish, but also wasn't Willie Gault-like. I guess it was kinda like Ron Brown's career.

One thing that needs to be addressed is the HOF voting scheme. I believe it is fatally flawed. Giving the power to just 35 or so voters just smacks of bias. I've said it before, while not perfect by any means, I think baseball gets it right. Get a ballot and send it back in. Football's process, putting the voters in a locked room and debating each candidate, just reeks of political deal-making and promotes favoritism.

Peter King for years kept Art Monk out because, when he covered the Giants for Newsday, the Giants claimed that Skins teammate Gary Clark was the more feared receiver. Year after year, he convinced the voters to keep Monk out for this reason. The voters finally caved last year, or maybe they voted for Monk while King was out getting a latte. I can envision King telling his fellow scribes that Reed doesn't belong because of his inability to go across the middle in Super Bowl XXV against the Giants...

Fix the system. Make it a secret vote. Open it up to more individuals. The process now in place stinks.

Reed did go 'cross the middle.......once. And man, did Pepper Johnson make him pay for doing so! The next time he ran that route, he did the ol' alligator arms bit, for which it took me a long time to forgive him.

Link

Bruce a no-brainer. Hopefully this is Andre's year but Cris Carter is also a finalist. As for Ralph, yes for the visionary he was way back when but a big fat NO for the bitter man he has become (IMO).

Unfortunately Andre is not likely to get in this year. WR's for some reason do not get the attention they deserve. Today's game is probably harder on the WR's than the running backs. Reed was at the front end of that change.

Unfortunately Andre is not likely to get in this year. WR's for some reason do not get the attention they deserve. Today's game is probably harder on the WR's than the running backs. Reed was at the front end of that change.

That does not make much sense. It is just the opposite. The game today is much easier on WR's.

Cool. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I am asking a serious question here. I know the one lady on this board knows tasker personally & loves him but I have seen this several times from different posters making inside comments how referring to him being a real jerk? I really have never met him. The only time I seen him in person was I took my son to the bills store a week before the season last year & he was in the store. I did not say anything to him because I thought it would be tacky. Does anybody have any stories as to why they think he is a jerk. I would love to hear them.

Please explain. I have many memories of Reed but I don't recall this. He had one bad penalty in the Redskins SB but don't think that cost us the game.

He had that personal foul penalty in the Miami playoff game also towards the end of the game.

Forgot about that one. I doubt voters look at a couple of penalties to deny a player the HOF.

I do not think it should or will count against him either. With that being said, I will be very surprised if Reed or Wilson get in this year. Smith is a lock.

From that list of finalists this is who I think who should be inducted.

Bruce Smith

Andre Reed

Rod Woodson

Derrick Thomas

Paul Tagliabue

Shannon Sharpe

Sorry Ralph, maybe next year.

If Cris Carter gets in before Reed, I will drop a ton of cow-pie on the HOF committee.

Are you Biased- please Chris Carter is going to go before Andre Reed is they both played 16 years Chris carter has 43 more TDS, 701 more yards and 144 more recptions than Reed now who in thier right mind based on the information I jsut provided would give Andre Reed the nod before Chris Carter? :unsure:

Just asking....

Was Hayes a difference maker?

For the first three to four years. After that, not so much. Not really the qualifications for a HOFer.

Did defenses have to game plan around him?

Yup. Then they found the trick to defending him and his production dropped.

I mean, afterall, zone defenses were used to neutralize his speed weren't they?

Zone defenses were around before Hayes entered the league. Steve Owen (Giants) was experimenting with zone defenses in the early 50s in order to slow down Cleveland's offensive firepower.

Hayes was only good for the first few seasons of his career. After that, nothing extraordinary. Humphrey is the better senior candidate this year, but the free buffet seekers club...errr...selection committee will only take in one senior candidate and since Z is having health issues, they will elect Hayes for him.

So what did Ralph do besides make millions of dollars , at the expense of the fans. I would say Ralph is closer to a billionaire than a millionaire. Taxpayers money for the stadium. Ralph got lucky with the '88 - 93 teams. The team will be gone soon. Quality football in the NFL is pretty much history I have had it with these over paid lazy football players. Ralph didn't give the fans anything , the fans paid for it all. Ralph is a crabby old man as oppposed to years ago when he was a crabby younger man.

Get a dome , took them 30 years to pave the parking lot . Todays players are wimpy ,the weather isn't sunny and 65 all the time. Get a girls team ,they have more grit than the guys. I went to the last game and the players pranced around like the Jills. Sorry about the rant.