The Other Side of Dick Jauron

banjo moe

I live in the town where Dick went to high school and played football, baseball and basketball. Needless to say his athletic ability is legendary in the Town of Swampscott, MA. I have talked to numerous people who know him, grew up with him or went to school playing against him. What I've learned is he is originally from the Mid-West. He would give the shirt off his back for anyone and his morals are impeccable. His high School team won 33 straight games with him playing. Joe Paterno flew in on a helicopter to recruit him. He chose to go to Yale. He scored 1550 on his SAT and would never brag about it. After his football season was over, instead of going out with the boys and celebrating after the last game, he would go home and wake up and be on the basketball court in the morning. He was drafted by the Yankees and could have played in the NBA. Every one tells me he is the most genuine person you could ever meet. It makes sense that he's always taking the blame for the mistakes but never boasted when they were 4-0 and said "aren't I great". He'd shovel your car out of your driveway. This is the kind of guy that Buffalo loves. All these qualities don't necessarily equate to him being a great head coach or even the future of the Bills. I wish he was though. That's why these guys played hard against Denver, to save his job. His one fault may be that he is too nice to be a head coach. But I think it is disgraceful some of the names I've read on these boards directed at him. It's almost comical that the people who call him names haven't accomplished a fraction of what this guy has in his life, and they sit in their dorito stained armchairs drinking Genny calling up WGR saying he looks like the grim reaper. Why don't you name callers formulate a thoughtful argument instead of resorting to play ground antics.

I live in the town where Dick went to high school and played football, baseball and basketball. Needless to say his athletic ability is legendary in the Town of Swampscott, MA. I have talked to numerous people who know him, grew up with him or went to school playing against him. What I've learned is he is originally from the Mid-West. He would give the shirt off his back for anyone and his morals are impeccable. His high School team won 33 straight games with him playing. Joe Paterno flew in on a helicopter to recruit him. He chose to go to Yale. He scored 1550 on his SAT and would never brag about it. After his football season was over, instead of going out with the boys and celebrating after the last game, he would go home and wake up and be on the basketball court in the morning. He was drafted by the Yankees and could have played in the NBA. Every one tells me he is the most genuine person you could ever meet. It makes sense that he's always taking the blame for the mistakes but never boasted when they were 4-0 and said "aren't I great". He'd shovel your car out of your driveway. This is the kind of guy that Buffalo loves. All these qualities don't necessarily equate to him being a great head coach or even the future of the Bills. I wish he was though. That's why these guys played hard against Denver, to save his job. His one fault may be that he is too nice to be a head coach. But I think it is disgraceful some of the names I've read on these boards directed at him. It's almost comical that the people who call him names haven't accomplished a fraction of what this guy has in his life, and they sit in their dorito stained armchairs drinking Genny calling up WGR saying he looks like the grim reaper. Why don't you name callers formulate a thoughtful argument instead of resorting to play ground antics.

Unfortunately being a good guy doesn't equate to being a good coach. I live outside of Tampa, and Tony Dungy is a very respected man in his community but they blasted him for not winning in the playoffs or the Super Bowl. Chuckie came in and won with a team Dungy put together. I was glad to see that he did get his Super Bowl win even though it was in Indy.

Jauron is a quality human being. A great guy and any community would be glad to call him a member.

However, he is not a quality head coach in the NFL. He can't manage games well, he makes poor decisions and fails to get the most out of his players' talent on a regular basis. He's had multiple chances to prove this incorrect in multiple cities, including 3 seasons in Buffalo, but he has yet to do so.

Those people who attack Dick's character are either joking, venting steam, ignorant or drunk (in some cases all of 'em). However even though Dick comes from your home town and he's a great human being, fans have the right to complain about his shortcomings as a Head Coach.

I was all about the whole fire Dick Jauron thing, but just now I was thinking.

If you look at what fans and columnists say about the coaches of other teams, there are always game decisions that people second guess. I am not sure Jauron is any worse than anyone else.

Maybe it's the fact that the Bills are a young team and young, inexperienced players commit stupid mistakes in crucial situations. Maybe this team is hurting for veteran leadership.

I know people will bring up the Bears, but were they a veteran team?

Just thinking out loud here.

Jauron is a quality human being. A great guy and any community would be glad to call him a member.

However, he is not a quality head coach in the NFL. He can't manage games well, he makes poor decisions and fails to get the most out of his players' talent on a regular basis. He's had multiple chances to prove this incorrect in multiple cities, including 3 seasons in Buffalo, but he has yet to do so.

Those people who attack Dick's character are either joking, venting steam, ignorant or drunk (in some cases all of 'em). However even though Dick comes from your home town and he's a great human being, fans have the right to complain about his shortcomings as a Head Coach.

Forgot to say, I'm from Buffalo, just living in the Town Of Dick Jauron as it's called.

There is no argument Jauron is a nice guy. I mean when I attended opening day a couple years back I seen him at the hotel we were staying in and he come over to my buddies and I and hold a 5 minute conversation and it wasnt about football, it was about family and things like that. Not once was football brought up. Hes a class act and all, but for the coach of my Buffalo Bills im not soo sure about!

Wonderful human being. Has made some dubious calls this year as a HC. I would much rather have him stay and spend the money saved by keeping this coaching staff and go after Haynesworth or other big time FAs. It all comes down to the players much more than coaching. Most NFL coaches do the same thing. The guys like him as a coach, he is an honest guy. I cannot see Ralph biting the bullet, then buying out the three year extnesion on DJ and the rest of the coaches and go out and find another average HC.

There can be no question that DJ is an outstanding human being. I've read that he was noted in HS for one particular moment where the basketbll team only carried a certain amount of players. DJ was the star and as you'd expect had a jersey. One kid didn't have one, and DJ made a point of providing his when the kid finally got a chance to play.

I like that DJ doesn't throw his players under the bus. I've paid some attention to Brad "Chilly" Childress in Minnesota, who, after the NO game earlier in which Reggie Bush returned 2 punts for TDs, complained that his punter mistakenly punted to Bush. To me, that's a cop out, and representative of a coach who was desperate to keep his job. DJ would never do something like that.

Even though he's a good man, it doesn't cover up that he's not a very good HC. Fortunately, the man upstairs doesn't take that into account when your time is up.

But was there really a 3 year contract? From what Ive read, Ralph will decide on his future in 2 weeks? I thought the contract signed a few weeks ago settled the debate? Honestly, im not soo sure there was a contract. If there was, it had to be based on performance the rest of the year.

I do like DJ. I have defended him here on TBD for awhile. Personally,

I believe the ultimate game day play lands squarely on the HC and how

he has prepared his team during the week.

My problem is, who is to held accountable for our mid-season meltdown?

The players? DJ? No (real) GM? Scouting? Other coaches? Ralphie?

It's probably a mix of all of them, thing is are the Bills going to keep selling

early '90s season tix numbers if someone isn't sacrificed?

Probably not, which even if he did not sign a new contract, the decision ultimately

will be a financial one.

I was all about the whole fire Dick Jauron thing, but just now I was thinking.

If you look at what fans and columnists say about the coaches of other teams, there are always game decisions that people second guess. I am not sure Jauron is any worse than anyone else.

Maybe it's the fact that the Bills are a young team and young, inexperienced players commit stupid mistakes in crucial situations. Maybe this team is hurting for veteran leadership.

I know people will bring up the Bears, but were they a veteran team?

Just thinking out loud here.

Dick has been gathering the talent for 3 years.

If there is lack of veteran leadership, it is because he and Marv ran off the vets and have failed to bring in anyone to replace them.

gotta love Brandon's creation where no one is held accountable since is there is no one person in charge.

Dick seems to have a thicker teflon coat than Toom Donahoe had.

He chose to go to Yale. He scored 1550 on his SAT and would never brag about it. .

With all he has going for him, why doesn't he try something he actually has a shot at being successful at such as finding the cure for cancer or discovering the beginning of the universe???

In Swampscott he may be a legend, but in Chicago and Buffalo he will be remembered as a failure of a coach.

Good points about DJ that should be made public. However, IMO I would much rather have a coach that is a hard ass and tough on his players, and holds them accountable for their play. I don't know DJ personally, but I'm pretty sure he's the type of guy who pats them on the back and tells them that we'll get 'em next time, every time. That's great for kids, but not for grown men making millions in guaranteed money. If someone disagrees, all you have to do is look at the past Super Bowl Champion coaches like Coughlin, Bellichick, Cowher, Billick, Shanahan, Switzer, Johnson, Gibbs, Parcells, and Ditka to name a few. The exceptions to the rule are Dungy, Vermeil, and Seifert and I'm thinking that even DJ could have lead teams with that much talent, to the SB. Unfortunately, you've got to be an SOB sometimes and make the players do unpopular things to be successful in the NFL and that's not DJ's style, nor will it ever be. Which is why we don't need him as our HC if we really want to go to the next step with this group of guys.

JP Losman was a huge booster of the city of Buffalo, and we all loved him for that and wished he would be successful. Unfortunately it didn;t work out because you still have to do the job you were hired to do. I'm sure Dick Jauron is a great guy. Salt of the earth. Do I think he's a competent NFL coach? Have to say no. I've seen too much in the past three years that says he's in over is head.

Anyone can have a bad string of luck, but things even out after a while. If you are a good coach and you have a few years to work, your true record will emerge. Sadly, we see what Dick Jauron's record and it isn't good. When we hired him it was with the hope that he had some bad breaks with some bad teams and owners, and that he was going to shine through in Buffalo. Well, it didn't happen.

I agree that WGR is vulgar. They live to whip up controversy, and their hosts and callers cross the line. That doesn't change the fact that Dick needs to be replaced. On the other hand, whoever Ralph hires will likely fail too because the Bills, as they are put together right now, are flawed from the top down.

PTR

There is no argument Jauron is a nice guy. I mean when I attended opening day a couple years back I seen him at the hotel we were staying in and he come over to my buddies and I and hold a 5 minute conversation and it wasnt about football, it was about family and things like that. Not once was football brought up. Hes a class act and all, but for the coach of my Buffalo Bills im not soo sure about!

Problem is your experiance is prolly similar to what goes on in the locker room... A bunch of guys talking about family and football never comes up....

I like Dick... er... i mean Coach Jauron... I think he may be a good guy... however, he chose a job as an NFL head coach... Its cutthroat, mean and what have you done for me lateley... Kinda like a sales job!

2 defining moment for me to ask for someone new was when, i cant remember which game, Jaron was about to challenge a play, someone was hurt and went to a tv timeout. We all could see that he shouldnt challenge the play BEFORE we went to tv timeout. What does he do when the TV time out was over? Throws the dam red flag and then loses the cjhallenge.

2nd thing was a few weeks ago he froze the other teams punter with a timeout lol

Couldn't agree more with what you said. Thanks for posting this. I'm proud to have Dick Jauron as my couch. Sure, we'll probably finish 7-9 but i have faith we are headed in the right direction.