Is Dick Jauron Gone ?

thewildrabbit

From, Pro Football Weekly :

Buffalo

Dec. 12, 2008 By Matt Sohn

Bills owner may be looking to shake up coaching staff, front office

Ralph Wilson can’t take it anymore. That’s the belief of many in Buffalo, who anticipate the Bills’ 90-year-old owner will be giving the ax to coach Dick Jauron after the season. Although Wilson has been silent on the matter, the silence is seen as a sign that he indeed is leaning toward making a change. The Bills are mired in a tailspin that shows no signs of slowing, having lost six of their last seven.

The fall from grace has been as sudden as it’s been severe. After Buffalo got out to a 5-1 start, Jauron reportedly signed a three-year extension through 2011, although the team has never confirmed the deal. Even if the contract was signed, the prospect of buying out the new deal isn’t likely to be a big enough deterrent to keep Wilson from making a move if he indeed feels it is necessary. Club sources say Jauron recognizes his fate, as his customarily even-keeled persona has dipped into more of a demeanor of resignation.

Changes might not stop with Jauron. Following the loss to the Dolphins in Week 14, Wilson, deeply troubled by his team’s demise, attributed the struggles in part due to a talent gap between the Bills and their competition. It was a subtle pointing of the finger at his personnel department, which was shaken up following the retirement of GM Marv Levy last offseason. Instead of hiring a general manager to replace Levy, Wilson chose to promote his college scouting director, Tom Modrak, and pro scouting director, John Guy, into what amounted to a joint GM role. But their inability to outfit the team with adequate player personnel could tempt Wilson into tabbing a single individual — somebody currently outside the organization — for the team’s top personnel job. Wilson has cast an envious eye toward the job Bills Parcells has done in his first year as the Dolphins’ executive VP of football operations, molding a roster that was 1-15 in 2007 to the brink of the postseason in ’08. He may be looking for his own Parcells.

However, a change in the front office doesn’t appear to be as imminent as a coaching change, in part due to Wilson’s fear of appointing another Tom Donahoe, the Bills’ GM from 2001-05. A Buffalo outsider, Donahoe’s epic failure was marked by personnel disasters in addition to alienating himself from the organization and the community.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This article seems to be totally based on speculation, but Jauron MUST GO! Although no one could have anticipated the colossal meltdown that this season has become, what was the rush to re-sign Jauron all about? Why not wait until the Bills playoff fate was determined. At the time of the extension, we had not even played a division opponent. Did the Bills management think that the rest of the league was clamoring to steal Dickie J from us???

Going to be interesting to see what these next two games bring. I doubt the Bills win either and finish with a 6-10 record. Considering the soft schedule this year and the fact Tom Brady was out all year,the Bills should have finished 10-6 :wallbash:

I just don't see Dick Jauron out coaching Bill Bilichick ...ever and the Bills need someone who can actually challenge him in a season.

With Ralph, money usually talks over wins. I bet he stays, and if and when he does, many loyal Bills fans like myself won't be staying around. Don't know how much more of this a human being can take.

Money really is the root of all evil...........I just don't understand how a man who is 90 years old and a billionaire can still be obessed with making and extra 3 or 4 million or even 10 million for that matter. At this stage of the game, I would be doing everything I could possibly do regardless of price to at least try going out a winner.

I guess we can't make Ralph into someone he is not........he is a businessman above all else. Being a sportsman and a winner (in terms of sports) is not his number one priority........making the most amount of money he possibly can obviously is first on his list. Would he like to have a winning franchise or a superbowl ring.........of course, but that is not going to trump his number one priority. If he can get lucky and do it cheaply, then winning is an extra bonus, if not no big deal to him. I guess because he has a difference of opinion than you and I, doesn't necessarily make him a bad guy, even though it frustrates the living hell out of the fans. The Bills to him are a money making business first and foremost in his mind........he purchased the franchise as such.

correct he will have DJ fire a few assistants like Turk, van pelt and....

what a mess

I don't think Dick will be back. Whatever you say about Ralph, you can't accuse him of being overly patient with incompetent coaches. Please recall that he canned Wade, Greggg, and Meathead as soon as it became clear that each of them was not the right guy for the job (unless you really believe that Wade and Meathead "quit"). I don't think you can say that he kept any of those guys around too long, unless you want to argue that they should have been sacked mid-season, or never hired at all. No, Ralph's problem is that he always seems to hire the wrong guy, not that he keeps the bums around too long (see Detroit Lions, Millen). I think we can look forward to a new coach next year (hooray).

RW's hand may be forced here already. Does he continue with DJ given the general disappointment and anger among fans ? The MO of this organization is to create enough excitement in the offseason to sell the season & general tickets. Getting a new coach takes the pressure off of him to produce a playoff contender for the next two years as we are all prone to giving a new coach a pass in the first couple of years. For this reason alone, I feel we will have a new coaching staff.

Side note for those of us on the Turk-watch: Not all the OCs, deemed incompetent by us, are idiots. Note we used to hate Kevin Gilbride and Dan Henning who are doing just fine with the Giants and Dolphins. So instead of throwing out the baby with the bath water, make judicious changes.

Guest dog14787

Come on, all of you guys saying you will give up on the Bills if Jauron stays, you can't be serious.

This is one of the youngest teams in the NFL top to bottom, and regardless of what anyone tries to tell you, we are loaded with talent. The Buffalo Bills are only a couple of players away from being a real good football team.

The Bills play hard under Dick Jauron and every player backs him up and that should count for something. No way these players are going to do that unless they have faith in him.

Do you think the players want to lose? No way

Money really is the root of all evil...........I just don't understand how a man who is 90 years old and a billionaire can still be obessed with making and extra 3 or 4 million or even 10 million for that matter. At this stage of the game, I would be doing everything I could possibly do regardless of price to at least try going out a winner.

I guess we can't make Ralph into someone he is not........he is a businessman above all else. Being a sportsman and a winner (in terms of sports) is not his number one priority........making the most amount of money he possibly can obviously is first on his list. Would he like to have a winning franchise or a superbowl ring.........of course, but that is not going to trump his number one priority. If he can get lucky and do it cheaply, then winning is an extra bonus, if not no big deal to him. I guess because he has a difference of opinion than you and I, doesn't necessarily make him a bad guy, even though it frustrates the living hell out of the fans. The Bills to him are a money making business first and foremost in his mind........he purchased the franchise as such.

Interesting point :wallbash:

Its kinda sad really because to me winning is everything, not just a winning season but winning it all.

If Ralph is waiting for another Polian to pop up and take control I fear he won't last that long. A genius Like Bill Polian that gets promoted through the ranks sometimes comes along once in a teams lifetime.

He needs to do what the smart owners do and that is hire a brain and spare no expense. Charlie Casserly is out there doing network reporting,wonder if he would be open to a GM job ?

From PFW:

“When you look at Charley Casserly’s last draft in Houston, you’ve got to give him some credit. Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans are Pro Bowl players. Eric Winston has been solid. Owen Daniels is emerging as one of the game’s best all-around tight ends. (Casserly’s) last draft was a helluva draft. The biggest problem he had in Houston was building the offensive line. He paid a lot of veterans in the supplemental draft that never panned out. But he has hit on high picks. Dunta Robinson has turned out to be a better cornerback than DeAngelo Hall. Andre Johnson has become one of the premier receivers in football. And he uncovered some late-round gems, if you can call them that — guys like (Buccaneers DE) Greg White and C.C. Brown.”

Come on, all of you guys saying you will give up on the Bills if Jauron stays, you can't be serious.

This is one of the youngest teams in the NFL top to bottom, and regardless of what anyone tries to tell you, we are loaded with talent. The Buffalo Bills are only a couple of players away from being a real good football team.

The Bills play hard under Dick Jauron and every player backs him up and that should account for something. No way these players are going to do that unless they have faith in him.

If four guys are pulling a cart with great enthusiasm in four different directions, would you give their supervisor a bonus for inspiring them to work hard ?

The Bills play hard under Dick Jauron and every player backs him up and that should count for something. No way these players are going to do that unless they have faith in him.

Do you honestly think That this Bills staff is even remotely as good as any in the AFC east? Player talent aside who is going to out coach Bilichick,Mangini,Sparano?

O, IM DEAD SERIOUS and ive been a fan for 25 years. My heart cant take it anymore. I care more about the team than half the players! Its not worth it