$20,000 for a private jet plane for one day?

Dude you act as though what you say is the be all end all. It's not. Get over yourself. And I worked for a company that was in that business. The retreats they had NEVER EVER came even close to that price. Not even close. And when business is failing, change the way you do business. Don't go to the spa or golfing. Work in a board room.

It's not about saving $400k. It's about dumb business practice that people like you like to excuse.

Shall I tell you from true experience? I do lots of business with American General. I don't have to, I just do because they have the industries best products. We go on great trips. They "invite" (you have to qualify) probably 300 people for a four night stay in places like Ritz-Carlton. Do the math. $400k divided by 300 people is only $1300 per person. And of the 300 people maybe ten worked for American General, the rest were independent firms. Get a clue before you B word.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely this right wing rag can't be all wrong?

Well, I'm a liberal so I have to agree with everything in the NYT, right? The reason so many free-market types want them to go into Ch 11 is right there:

Bankruptcy would give G.M. enormous leverage with its debt holders — and, perhaps more important, with the U.A.W., whose gold-plated benefits are one reason G.M. is no longer competitive.

This is about crushing the UAW. The same thing that could be accomplished by filing Ch 11, minus letting them destroy the American worker, can be done via the bridge loan.

Well, I'm a liberal so I have to agree with everything in the NYT, right? The reason so many free-market types want them to go into Ch 11 is right there:

This is about crushing the UAW. The same thing that could be accomplished by filing Ch 11, minus letting them destroy the American worker, can be done via the bridge loan.

Did you miss the part about closing dealerships and reorganizing the entire company top to bottom? How can you say with a straight face that what needs to be done, can be done with a bridge loan? It's absurd to even suggest it.

Keep dreaming and sinking $25 billion every year, as Toyota and Honda continue taking market share. You do recognize that the wily Japanese pay similar wages in their plants in the US, but the work rules are different and more flexible. You do recognize that the Southern states gained at the expense of UAW strongholds in Northeast & Midwest. Hurray for moral victories as people continue to move to the Carolinas.

Did you miss the part about closing dealerships and reorganizing the entire company top to bottom? How can you say with a straight face that what needs to be done, can be done with a bridge loan? It's absurd to even suggest it.

Did you miss the 450 point nosedive in the Dow this afternoon right after the prospect of a loan disappeared? Its not just about closing dealerships, reorganizing and screwing the UAW.

Did you miss the 450 point nosedive in the Dow this afternoon right after the prospect of a loan disappeared? Its not just about closing dealerships, reorganizing and screwing the UAW.

I'm sure that it was the sole reason for the drop

The same way Honda is destroying them? :ph34r:

I don't understand why Dingy Harry Reid would want to break the UAW. They're one of the Democrats biggest contributors. What's up with that Jonni?

Then why don't the Democrats DO SOMETHING LIKE GIVE THEM THE MONEY?

Sorry about yelling...my caps lock got stuck. :worthy::lol::ph34r:

This could be conjecture, but I highly doubt you were anywhere near the stratosphere of a top producing agent. So please spare me the sanctimony of what they should expect. If anything, AIG will probably have to pay higher commissions and add more perks because they are in trouble. How many times does it have to be explained to you that the expense was not for AIG's benefit, but for their agents who are very likely to work with a competitor?

Boy, I am so looking forward to the pervasive mentality that cost control is better than revenue generation in private enterprise.

I can't understand why people think cost control is the way to go over revenue generation either. Like the UAW says, "you can't shrink your way to profitability." But that's what most companies have done, they tried to cut labor costs to the bare bone and it's biting them in the butt. Meanwhile, the brass spend wildly on golf outings. That's not about business, it's about eliteism.

That's the difference. Who the hell would buy a car from a company in banckruptcy???

"Independent warranties"

??

You buy the automobile and then can have it worked on anywhere.

Parts becomes an issue though... There is no reason why the aftermarket compaines can't gobble it up.

This is one of the reason's I bought my 2006 Jeep TJ (right before the new design)... In essence, they have been building the same vehicle for 60 years... There is not one part I can find that has to be Mopar.

Why can't they build models like the 1940's to 2006 Jeeps? Of course they can incorporate better tech for modern safety in passenger vehicles... What I am saying... Why can't they use this parts model for coming up with vehicles?

Then Jeep goes and changes that for the 2007 model! :ph34r::worthy:

The aftermarket has proven to be very adept in meeting those needs, much in the same way you can get service & parts for virtually every car that has ever been produced. I don't recall this outcry when GM killed Oldsmobile or Chrysler did with Plymouth. Your fear would only be realized in a full liquidation. But the prospect of GM liquidating completely is as remote as the plagues descending before the San Diego game.

Agree with aftermarket ability to fix/maintain vehicles. Who backs the warranty period on cars sold by a bankrupt company? I'd want to know that before I bought a car from such a company.

When a 1st class plane ticket costs $800?

I am not fully understanding all of this but on the outside looking in I dont want the workers to suffer (that poor schmoe like me who just trudges off to work every day to feed his family) and i also dont want to help these private jet flying execs who will still be rich no matter what.

I dont know what the solution is here.

Where are you getting $800 first class tickets?

Assuming you want an actual first class cabin - where only other first class passangers can listen in on your business calls, such as on a 747 or bigger - and you want the ticket to be refundable, and you are not getting a last minute super-saver, I think you are looking more at $10,000.

I know business class from DC to Europe tends to be about $6,000.

Where are you getting $800 first class tickets?

Assuming you want an actual first class cabin - where only other first class passangers can listen in on your business calls, such as on a 747 or bigger - and you want the ticket to be refundable, and you are not getting a last minute super-saver, I think you are looking more at $10,000.

I know business class from DC to Europe tends to be about $6,000.

It was on a news report in my area. KKAL Channel 9 in the morning a couple of days ago.

PS. If your numbers are accurate then they might have actually saved money since they brought their wives along on the company jet.

What the hell are you guys talking about? They flew from Detroit to DC. It's a 90-minute flight. You can get four round trip tickets on Southwest Airline for under $1500.

And they get free peanuts.

What the hell are you guys talking about? They flew from Detroit to DC. It's a 90-minute flight. You can get four round trip tickets on Southwest Airline for under $1500.

And they get free peanuts.

Exactly!

If anything it would have been a PR coup if they would have flown commercial... Then again, I wouldn't expect them to get that. :rolleyes: