$20,000 for a private jet plane for one day?

I take it you haven't been reading the issues surrounding the Big 3. Their problem is not a liquidity crisis. Their problem is father time catching up to an antiquated business model, whose fix has been ignored by all parties for over a generation. A $25 bn cash infusion now will not solve the core issues of legacy costs, inflexible labor arrangements, too vast of a dealer network and the inability to bring quality products to the market faster than their competitors. A bankruptcy filing should help fix those, and you could use gov't money in bankruptcy, because you won't be able to get enough private capital for DIP financing.

But to throw $25 bn before restructuring is just widening the sinkhole.

Ding Ding Ding

Tell him what's he's won.

[Rod Roddy]

Well, GG has just earned himself an all expenses paid 10 page thread trying to explain to people who refuse to listen that throwing money at people will not fix the automakers problem. He'll enojoy countless posts of finger pointing and straw men arguments by those who are unwilling to correctly place blame and realize that there are sometimes consequences that can't be avoided. He'll be wowed by the numerous posts declaring how evil and corrupt CEO's are and how the government has to do something to fix this, and doing something is always better than nothing even if the something is a worthless attempt that won't change anything.

Congratulations GG

Remember to spay and neuter your pets.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it you haven't been reading the issues surrounding the Big 3. Their problem is not a liquidity crisis. Their problem is father time catching up to an antiquated business model, whose fix has been ignored by all parties for over a generation. A $25 bn cash infusion now will not solve the core issues of legacy costs, inflexible labor arrangements, too vast of a dealer network and the inability to bring quality products to the market faster than their competitors. A bankruptcy filing should help fix those, and you could use gov't money in bankruptcy, because you won't be able to get enough private capital for DIP financing.

But to throw $25 bn before restructuring is just widening the sinkhole.

It's my understanding that Congress is asking them for a specific plan before even voting on loaning them the money. Yes, they have to change their business model and deal with the legacy benefits they've promised to the unions (a topic for another thread). But I don't see how letting them go into bankruptcy helps them right now. The $25B is a bridge loan to help them get through this crisis. The money is already there. We're throwing far more money to shore up Wall Street with zero oversight. And how is financing DIP any different than lending them money now with restrictions? The Fed is still going to pay for it, only they'd be one step closer to collapse. The only thing bankruptcy would do, IMO, is destroy the Union. The pessimist in me thinks that's really what certain people want to see happen.

It's my understanding that Congress is asking them for a specific plan before even voting on loaning them the money. Yes, they have to change their business model and deal with the legacy benefits they've promised to the unions (a topic for another thread). But I don't see how letting them go into bankruptcy helps them right now. The $25B is a bridge loan to help them get through this crisis. The money is already there. We're throwing far more money to shore up Wall Street with zero oversight. And how is financing DIP any different than lending them money now with restrictions? The Fed is still going to pay for it, only they'd be one step closer to collapse. The only thing bankruptcy would do, IMO, is destroy the Union. The pessimist in me thinks that's really what certain people want to see happen.

The ultimate goal is the same, but under the bankruptcy code you are entitled to a bevvy of freedoms to restructure previous obligations, contracts, etc. You simply cannot (and WILL NOT) get the same benefit to restructure outside of bankruptcy, no matter what the "good" intentions of the parties are.

If you ask anyone remotely familiar with the bankruptcy process, the answer would be fairly unanimous on what the Big 3 should do. Especially with the government ready to provide DIP financing.

I imagine you really haven't cared that GM's largest supplier has been in bankruptcy for the last two years.

ps - "destroy the union" is an anachronysm. There's no union left to destroy. But you must be smoking some good stuff if you don't believe that past union mandates aren't helping sink the company. Again, the biggest problems that companies have with unions are not wages & benefits, but work rules and termination. Believe it or not, but management appreciates good workers and will pay them to keep them.

Which was by American General a subsidiary of AIG that's flush with cash and has ample reserves. I love how people who don't know this story like to use it.

Tsk, tsk, no helping the feeble.

Which was by American General a subsidiary of AIG that's flush with cash and has ample reserves. I love how people who don't know this story like to use it.

How about AIG the parent company is getting bailed out. Smart people wouldn't spend that kind of money when begging. And feeble love the idea... subsidiary or not. :ph34r:

How about AIG the parent company is getting bailed out. Smart people wouldn't spend that kind of money when begging. And feeble love the idea... subsidiary or not. :ph34r:

Still haven't answered the question on what purpose the "retreat" served.

I don't care what their purpose was... if it was business it could have been handled in a board room in a building they didn't have to expense out.

I see, you don't care what the purpose was, just hated the $400K that was "misused." Why bother finding out whether the retreat was for sales agents and the cancellation will probably result in $$ millions in lost of revenue for the company in 2009.

But, hey those evil crooks were taught a lesson.

Here's a novel thought, AIG should eliminate all costs in its business. That will surely help repay the money the government put in.

I was wrong in calling you feeble. It's an insult to feebleminded.

I see, you don't care what the purpose was, just hated the $400K that was "misused." Why bother finding out whether the retreat was for sales agents and the cancellation will probably result in $$ millions in lost of revenue for the company in 2009.

But, hey those evil crooks were taught a lesson.

Here's a novel thought, AIG should eliminate all costs in its business. That will surely help repay the money the government put in.

I was wrong in calling you feeble. It's an insult to feebleminded.

You're damn right I hated that money was misused especially when the parent company AIG is asking for a bail out. And that is not a simple cost, the business that was done there could have been done in an office building. No need for the massages, etc.

You're damn right I hated that money was misused especially when the parent company AIG is asking for a bail out. And that is not a simple cost, the business that was done there could have been done in an office building. No need for the massages, etc.

If you don't know who used the money, for what, and what the consequences of spending it were, how can you possibly know it was "misused"?

The feebleminded are getting more empowered by your acumen.

This is how business is done with bulk scale property & casualty brokers, you buffoon. The perks were not for AIG employees but for their sales agents. If you don't treat them well, they will be perfectly happy to work with Swiss RE or Munich RE. Aren't you among the retardia that screams about US job protections? Notice something about the names of the competitors?

The money is out the door and it would be nice if the government got it back some day. But if you want AIG to even get a chance to repay the money, you have to let them operate the business in a market where their competitors will attack their weakness. I can guarantee 100% that cutting commissions and perks to their top producing sales agents will certainly not give you the money back.

But idiots like you think you won something because they just saved $400K.

The feebleminded are getting more empowered by your acumen.

This is how business is done with bulk scale property & casualty brokers, you buffoon. The perks were not for AIG employees but for their sales agents. If you don't treat them well, they will be perfectly happy to work with Swiss RE or Munich RE. Aren't you among the retardia that screams about US job protections? Notice something about the names of the competitors?

The money is out the door and it would be nice if the government got it back some day. But if you want AIG to even get a chance to repay the money, you have to let them operate the business in a market where their competitors will attack their weakness. I can guarantee 100% that cutting commissions and perks to their top producing sales agents will certainly not give you the money back.

But idiots like you think you won something because they just saved $400K.

Dude you act as though what you say is the be all end all. It's not. Get over yourself. And I worked for a company that was in that business. The retreats they had NEVER EVER came even close to that price. Not even close. And when business is failing, change the way you do business. Don't go to the spa or golfing. Work in a board room.

It's not about saving $400k. It's about dumb business practice that people like you like to excuse.

Dude you act as though what you say is the be all end all. It's not. Get over yourself. And I worked for a company that was in that business. The retreats they had NEVER EVER came even close to that price. Not even close. And when business is failing, change the way you do business. Don't go to the spa or golfing. Work in a board room.

It's not about saving $400k. It's about dumb business practice that people like you like to excuse.

This could be conjecture, but I highly doubt you were anywhere near the stratosphere of a top producing agent. So please spare me the sanctimony of what they should expect. If anything, AIG will probably have to pay higher commissions and add more perks because they are in trouble. How many times does it have to be explained to you that the expense was not for AIG's benefit, but for their agents who are very likely to work with a competitor?

Boy, I am so looking forward to the pervasive mentality that cost control is better than revenue generation in private enterprise.

Surely this right wing rag can't be all wrong?

Surely this right wing rag can't be all wrong?

Part of the problem is summed up by comments like this one in The Detroit Free Press, made by Kandy O’Neill, 39, an assembler at G.M.’s plant in Lake Orion, Mich., where she builds the Chevy Malibu and Pontiac G6. “I think we’ve given enough,” she said about the cuts to her salary and pension plan.

“Everybody wants to come down hard on the workers,” she said. “Nobody knows what we do inside there but the people who work there. It’s hard. It is not an easy job.”

When you read a line like that you might sympathize with her, but then you realize that nothing can be accomplished without bankruptcy. Ms. O’Neill: your company is asking the taxpayers — many of whom don’t have health care coverage — to pay your salary and health insurance.

There's the money quote...