Defend Trent Now

Virgil

Yep. With no running game, and crap pass blocking, what did you

think would happen??

Ain't Edwards fault. Blame both the O-line for poor run and pass blocking,

and the D-line for poor pash rush...again....

Those same arguments were made last year for JP, but were shot down.

So what next?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For a QB with such amazing stats, you would think JP would be a lot better, huh?

I can't believe someone is actually bringing up JP's pre-season completion percentage into this...if that was relevant, Edwards would have been the starter, week one last season... :angry:

That wasn't the point. The point is that JP is just as accurate or more accurate than Trent on short throws. Critism is fine, but let's at least be accurate about how we criticize a player. I don't think JP is on the bench due to accuracy.

That's a very solid body of work, except for the three turnovers. As for those three turnovers . . . the first interception wouldn't have happened had Parrish not slipped. The fumble was a result of a missed block. The second interception was a poorly thrown ball.

While I understand that Trent made a mistake by not giving up another half a turnover, I think you have to at least give him credit for looking like a combination of Rob Johnson and Todd Collins on the fumble and who knows what on the pick 6.

I don't really blame Edwards, actually to me, he looks pretty good for a second year QB (and I was an all out JP supporter last year). Edwards will not thrive if he has absolutely NO running game. The onus is on the OLine to open up some holes for the Running backs. Without the running game, Edwards probably feels like he has to do everything himself and finds himself holding the ball too long or attempting the more difficult throws (INT for TD yesterday).

Dude your dumb!

Teams don't respect the long pass and therefor don't worry about it, and no Trent can't throw the ball 50+ yards in the air. The longer the throw the more his ball floats and that is because of his poor throwing mechanics. His short passes and intermediate one are okay but the long attempts suck.

Because of teams lack of respect for the long ball they stack the box. The safeties don't worry about double covering the

WRs because they know he isn't throwing anything more than about 15 yards in the air. Other teams don't respect this offense. Until Trent can keep the safeties honest i'm afraid it's going to be more of the same in the coming weeks.

Dumb? Why thank you.

Actually, if Trent had more than 2 seconds to get rid of the ball, and a running game,

THAT WOULD OPEN THE LONGER PASSING GAME!

No running game + poor pass block = short passing game

It doesn't take a 50+ yard pass to stretch the D. It take the OC to call a couple of pass plays of more than 20 yards to get it done. It's not because he can't throw the ball 50+ yards in the air, it's because of the play calling, and the fact that our O line can't block long enough for a player to run a long pattern.

:angry:

Dumb? Why thank you.

Actually, if Trent had more than 2 seconds to get rid of the ball, and a running game,

THAT WOULD OPEN THE LONGER PASSING GAME!

No running game + poor pass block = short passing game

Trent has had plenty of time to throw the ball. Don't know which games you have been watching. :rolleyes:

Trent has had plenty of time to throw the ball. Don't know which games you have been watching. :rolleyes:

Yeah, teams have SO LITTLE respect for our ability to go deep that Evans constantly faces man-over double coverage every game. JUST LIKE LAST YEAR. Seems to me if teams didn't have to worry about the threat of a deep pass by Edwards, they wouldn't waste the defensive resources to double up Evans. Since the Houston game of '06 that's been the case. DCs have made it clear that our ability to go deep to Evans, REGARDLESS OF WHO OUR QB IS, is the SINGLE most important facet to take away from our offense.

Ask yourself why DCs would do that.

The answer is obvious to even the biggest of us dumbies around here.

GO BILLS!!!

Guest dog14787
Trent has had plenty of time to throw the ball. Don't know which games you have been watching. B-)

I'm watching the remains of Steve Fairchilds pathetic style offense still cause problems!!!

At what point do we scrap this BS and just start over again, we can't do any worst and can you tell me we we simply refuse to run some form of the no huddle? Is Dick Jauron's conservative, layed back nature steering us in the wrong direction?

We try a fake punt on our side of the playing field, but yet we don't have the balls to take more chances down the field?

I praised Turk Shonert allot towards the start of the season, maybe I was way to premature to give praise to an unproven OC and an unproven offense. To watch the Patriots and the Colts play last night, the Bills offensive schemes and playcalling looks very primative and predictable in comparison.

I made comments about how Belicheat and the Pats where nothing without Tom Brady earlier on this season, but you take penalties, playcalling on both sides of the ball, everything that goes on in a ballgame, and the Patriots coaching staff makes the Buffalo Bills coaching staff look like a joke!!!

So we give Dick Jauron an extension so he can come out with a team and play, sloppy, uninspired and filled with mistakes football!!!

You got to be kidding me!!! :rolleyes:

I would defend Trent on the fumble, he does need a little help from the linemen. I dont think the line even attempted to block on those plays, even Phil Simms stated that it should be put on the OL. I put the int for a TD pretty much on Trent, the DB suckered him in on that throw, the int at the end happens to all qb's in last minute desperation throws. I did see flashes of JP in there, and some of the posts here are correct, he isn't playing as smart as he did the first quarter of the season-any chance he is still either physically or mentally feeling the effects from the concusion? I am along with all the true Bills fans in hoping they turn it around, but I don't have a very confident feeling this weekend, after watching them for the last couple weekends. How many times do they have to try Fred Jackson on 4th and 1 only to get stuffed to realize he isn't a power back?

JP is on the bench because of his inability to make the mental decisions. He has more physical tools then Trent Edwards will ever dream of having, but he looks like a Hall of Famer on one play than looks like Akili Smith on the next with some stupid on field decision.

Trent hasn't been himself since he came back from the concussion. It's good to see he's still hanging in the pocket, so he's not gunshy. But I wonder if he still has some cobwebs.

I'm not happy about the two losses but to keep it in perspective, yesterday was Trent's 16th start (first full year). I think even with his mistakes etc he's got the right stuff.

Why is everyone calling out Trent when Marshawn has flat out sucked the last 2 games? I think a lot of you idiots just can't let go of precious JP. So many people on here have an agenda and can't stand to be wrong. Get over yourselves and either enjoy this team or go root for another. Trent played like a 2nd year QB with no time yesterday and while he might have played like sh--, he still played better then both Lynch and Evans(who could not get open). Rag on them.

This board is full of people that NEED to say "Na, Na I told you so" and they barely have a leg to stand on.

Trent haters = McCain supporters. Grasping at straws. Get over it folks, you look foolish.

Now, bring it.

Trent hasn't been himself since he came back from the concussion. It's good to see he's still hanging in the pocket, so he's not gunshy. But I wonder if he still has some cobwebs.

that'd be a valid excuse, but how does that explain his career-best day @ san diego... which occured after the concussion?

I am sick of fair weather fans. Everyone comes. On here after the games and either proclaims superbowl or lays out a bunch of trash talk. Get over it. Teams have bad games. We have a second year quarterback that has played like one the past two games. Are you really surprised? Before that he played like a pro and everyone wanted to get on their knees for him.

Stop blamng the game on Trent. Yea he made mistakes but if the defense hadn't let favre take the jets down the field for 10 min in the 4th quarter and give up a fg we would have been down 6 with some time to rally like we did in the first 4 games.

Enough with JP. He has some positives about him but his pocket presence is terrible. Everytime he takes 8-9 steps back and let's the pocket close on him. Not around him.

Trent is the guy we want in there. Jp is still a great backup though.

We have a tough push a head of us but show some buffalo pride and do it like they do, one game at a time

Why is everyone calling out Trent when Marshawn has flat out sucked the last 2 games? I think a lot of you idiots just can't let go of precious JP. So many people on here have an agenda and can't stand to be wrong. Get over yourselves and either enjoy this team or go root for another. Trent played like a 2nd year QB with no time yesterday and while he might have played like sh--, he still played better then both Lynch and Evans(who could not get open). Rag on them.

This board is full of people that NEED to say "Na, Na I told you so" and they barely have a leg to stand on.

Trent haters = McCain supporters. Grasping at straws. Get over it folks, you look foolish.

Now, bring it.

Trent's getting called out more than he deserves simply because JP was often unfairly critized here. Just backlash from that.

Lynch has nowhere to run. No holes and the defense is anticipating the plays and overloading the LOS on ruinning plays.

While I agree with the mistakes that TE made, the problem I have with stating that he cost us the game, besides him, who else made any plays? There was a no running attack, little stops defensively in the game, yes, they didn't give up TD's, but allowed the Jets to move down the field. One thing TE does appear to be very good at is moving the chains and he did do that yesterday throughout the game. Last year, he'd dink it for 3 yards and after three of them we'd have to punt. This year he is getting first downs from it. So without TE out there yesterday, who would have done anything? With no running game when you get down closer to the goal line, it makes it tougher to get it in when everyone is dropping back in coverage. It also helps when you don't need to blitz as our O-line allows you to pressure with three guys.

I don't have any stats to back this up, but I'd be surprised to see that any QB who throws more than 40 times a game doesn't have similar number of bad plays, fumbles, ints, sacks, etc. When you throw that much, bad things are going to happen.

Overall, I don't think Trent is the problem. Yes, he lost this game for us. Sure the D could have won it back, but Trent did the damage that lost the game. Argue it all you want, but it's what I believe. Trent also lost last week for us. But still, even with that being true, I blame the coaches.