Defend Trent Now

Virgil

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a JP supporter, I'm a Bills fan. When JP had fumbles or Int's and people defended him, everyone just accused them of making excuses for their boy. Trent, has now given away two straight division games. He is doing exactly what he did last year of having a strong first few games, and then mediocre at best. I'm sorry, but Trent has not proved anything yet.

Now, I know there are some "Trent can do no wrong" fans out there. So please, defend the guy who just wasted a 4-1 start to me.

Bills from 1-3 in last 4 games. Playoffs?!?!?!

Trent is our quarterback now and hopefully into the future. He'll respond positively next week and we'll be ready to go next week.

If I were to rate the problems in todays game I'd say:

1: No run game

2: Terrible tackling

3: TE's play

3a: No pass rush

5: Special teams no longer special

6: No #2 receiver

TEW certainly mad some bad plays and had turnovers that lead to points. In spite of that, he still kept the chains moving, with NO running game. That is one thing he is far superior to JP in the ability to keep the chains moving. Everyone keeps stating, you can't keep giving TE a free pass when you wouldn't give one to JP. Well the difference was last year TE was a rookie and doing things that JP still hadn't figured out in his fourth year. Now TE is in his second year, still doing many good things, but making some big mistakes. Considering the entire offenseis on his shoulders, he's not doing all that bad. Three turnovers for a second year QB isn't all that bad. Maybe with a decent running game the turnovers don't happen as he wouldn't have been throwing in those situations. The problem is with the way the offense is going TE needs to play a perfect game. Last year, at least they had a running game and better blocking. The Def sucked, but there was promise on the offense. This year, they are going backwards, every game run offense is getting worse. Would JP have done worse, good chance not, but from what we've seen of him, would be surprised if he have done better? And fourth a fifth year player, there's no reason to hope he'll improve much. To me it is pretty amazing to see a team put their entire offense on the shoulders of a second year player!

Amazing, people are defending Trent when there is no defense for his play the last two weeks by invoking the name JP.

Really, I'm sorry I forgot that Trent has been in the league for soooooooo many years. The guy has started less than a full season in the NFL and he should be great? and I was responding to people defending JP, I did not "bring up" JP name. Glad to see you are still looking out for him though, are you going to leave with him next season?

No he can't!!!

Yes he can!!!

Hey, let's take a moment to analyze this. Just say, for arguments sake, Trent can't throw the

long ball. He is still a much better QB than Losman can ever hope to be. He has better pocket presence,

touch on the ball, grasp of the offense and reads defenses better. So Losman can be the one-trick

pony, and I'll take Trent anyday.

And speaking of the long ball. How much of the offense is predicated on the "long ball". Before we answer

that, we need to define the "long ball". I would guess that would be a pass that is in the air for greater than

50 yards, not a pass and catch greater then 50 yards. Now, Trent CAN throw the ball in the air greater than

50 yards with good accuracy. Problem is, unless your the 70's Raiders, that may be 1 to 2 balls a game, if that.

Really does the long ball even matter? I understand you want to loosen the defense, but tossing the ball 50 plus

yards all game, ain't the answer.

Let's not forget this, to be able to throw the "long ball", you would need to have AN OFFENSIVE LINE THAT CAN HOLD

A BLOCK FOR MORE THAN 2 SECONDS! Which gets back to my original point that the poor offensive line play is

most of Trent's problems these days.

Really, I'm sorry I forgot that Trent has been in the league for soooooooo many years. The guy has started less than a full season in the NFL and he should be great? and I was responding to people defending JP, I did not "bring up" JP name. Glad to see you are still looking out for him though, are you going to leave with him next season?

LEARN to READ, I said PEOPLE (including you) invoked JP's name, not the bug brought up JP's name. NOBODY is saying Trent should be great. The point is Trent has been terrible the last two weeks, possibly costing the Bills a shot at the playoffs, & his supporters are HYPOCRITES.

JP threw for over 289 yards all of 3 times in his miserable 4 1/2 year career. He sucks, and it really is time to get over it.

Next topic?

And Trent has yet to throw for 290+ yards in 17 starts, so what's your point? Trent's not that good and as the book on him around the league becomes bigger and bigger we will start to see more and more of what we did today, and today he was not very good.

Defensive coordinators in this league are pretty smart and Trent is becoming easier and easier to defend because of his lack of the long ball ( and 40 yards is not a long ball, 60+ in the air is ) and his willingness to check down way too quick. It's going to be up to him to adjust and we will have to wait and see if he is capable. IMHO the jury is still out on Trent, 13 TDs and 13 INTs in 17 starts isn't very good.

As the weather gets colder it will expose the Bills biggest weakness more and more and that's their inability to run the ball.

You can Blame the 2nd year QB all you want....blame the Defense all you want. Its not going to fix anything.

Until Head Coach Dick Jauron breaks his foot off in some O-line backside and motivates the team to focus on pounding the ball on the ground they won't win many games much less make the playoffs.

I've been saying for weeks now that the O-line looks horrid and the Bills should not be relying on a 2nd year QB to bail them out game after game. It would make it so easy for him if they set up the pass with a decent running game.

Some people wanna cry about the QB,some wanna cry about the starting RB,some wanna cry about the defense, Fix the O-line and the rest will fix itself.

LEARN to READ, I said PEOPLE (including you) invoked JP's name, not the bug brought up JP's name. NOBODY is saying Trent should be great. The point is Trent has been terrible the last two weeks, possibly costing the Bills a shot at the playoffs, & his supporters are HYPOCRITES.

So you are saying "people" (including me) invoke JP's name, but "not the bug" OK? Who should learn to read? So the last 2 games are Trents fault and he was "terrible", I guess we were never in those games and had no chance to win. I know you don't like the guy and think JP should be the starter, but he has not been terrible for a young QB. Speaking of HYPOCRITES, it seems a lot of peop[le who complained about how JP was messed with, think Trent should be treated the same way, sounds like hypocrites to me.

Amazing, people are defending Trent when there is no defense for his play the last two weeks by invoking the name JP.

It seems the whole thing started, when Losman fanboys waiting in hiding, for Edwards to have a bad game, so they can say,

"see, Trent is no better than JP..." Look at the topic of this thread...it seems like some people can't accept that Losman was not getting it done (despite mounting evidence), and they can't seperate it from Trent Edwards. The argument from love-lorn JP fans seems to be "why is everyone so mean to JP?" It is very possible that Losman is not very good, and that Trent Edwards is not as good, at this point, as the media seemed to be ready to proclaim. Isn't it just possible that both have their problems? Why does one have to automatically mean the other?

Ed Roch had it right...Edwards isn't perfect, but he is already a better QB (not a perfect QB) than JP has been, from day one. Despite his woes the last two weeks, the Bills offense was fairly prolific, yardage wise. With no runnnig game, they moved the ball up and down the field, on a tough Jets defense. The turnovers killed them, but they were very much in both games, until very late. Sorry, if JP had only been as bad to the degree that Trent has been the last two weeks, we wouldn't be having this discussion, because JP would still be the starting QB.

Why do people feel they have to rag on the few players actually doing their job? How about Corey McIntyre who whiffed his block when TE was sacked and fumbled? How about Jason Whittle totally oblivious of a Jets blitzer as he ran right by him? How about our fat tub-of-lard O-line that is so bad we have to abandon the running game so defenses just tee off on our pass game? How about or D-line that gave Favre all day?

Edwards had his share of bad plays but he didn't cost us the game. You think JP would be better? The AZ game proved otherwise. This team will never do anything until we fix our lines. That's the bottom line. Nothing else works until you do that.

PTR

Could not have said it better, so I won't.

Where was the commitment to run? We fall down 13-6 and they all but abandon the run game. I know the JETS are #4 against the run, now after our game probably #1, but comeon let's be serious - we hung Edwards out to dry again. It was a close game and the offensive game calling was not balanced. WE NEED TO START RUNNING THE BALL. I want 25+ carries against the Patriots. I don't care if we get 0 yards on 25 carries. Let's use our fat overpaid Lineman and tell them to hit the old slow Patriot D in front of them and wear those Fauckers down.

If I were to rate the problems in todays game I'd say:

1: No run game

2: Terrible tackling

3: TE's play

3a: No pass rush

5: Special teams no longer special

6: No #2 receiver

If 100 fans of the Carolina Panthers watched that game as neutral observers there would not be one that left "crappy QB" off the top 2 of that list. You left it off the top 6.

Yes he can!!!

Hey, let's take a moment to analyze this. Just say, for arguments sake, Trent can't throw the

long ball. He is still a much better QB than Losman can ever hope to be. He has better pocket presence,

touch on the ball, grasp of the offense and reads defenses better. So Losman can be the one-trick

pony, and I'll take Trent anyday.

And speaking of the long ball. How much of the offense is predicated on the "long ball". Before we answer

that, we need to define the "long ball". I would guess that would be a pass that is in the air for greater than

50 yards, not a pass and catch greater then 50 yards. Now, Trent CAN throw the ball in the air greater than

50 yards with good accuracy. Problem is, unless your the 70's Raiders, that may be 1 to 2 balls a game, if that.

Really does the long ball even matter? I understand you want to loosen the defense, but tossing the ball 50 plus

yards all game, ain't the answer.

Let's not forget this, to be able to throw the "long ball", you would need to have AN OFFENSIVE LINE THAT CAN HOLD

A BLOCK FOR MORE THAN 2 SECONDS! Which gets back to my original point that the poor offensive line play is

most of Trent's problems these days.

Dude your dumb!

Teams don't respect the long pass and therefor don't worry about it, and no Trent can't throw the ball 50+ yards in the air. The longer the throw the more his ball floats and that is because of his poor throwing mechanics. His short passes and intermediate one are okay but the long attempts suck.

Because of teams lack of respect for the long ball they stack the box. The safeties don't worry about double covering the

WRs because they know he isn't throwing anything more than about 15 yards in the air. Other teams don't respect this offense. Until Trent can keep the safeties honest i'm afraid it's going to be more of the same in the coming weeks.

As the weather gets colder it will expose the Bills biggest weakness more and more and that's their inability to run the ball.

You can Blame the 2nd year QB all you want....blame the Defense all you want. Its not going to fix anything.

Until Head Coach Dick Jauron breaks his foot off in some O-line backside and motivates the team to focus on pounding the ball on the ground they won't win many games much less make the playoffs.

I've been saying for weeks now that the O-line looks horrid and the Bills should not be relying on a 2nd year QB to bail them out game after game. It would make it so easy for him if they set up the pass with a decent running game.

Some people wanna cry about the QB,some wanna cry about the starting RB,some wanna cry about the defense, Fix the O-line and the rest will fix itself.

I agree with you about the O-line. One has to wonder at this point, if it is the COACHING with McNally retiring this year. This thread however is about Trent's play the last TWO games. It is obvious to everyone but the Trent Hypocrites that he was largely responsable for these two losses.