Fourth and Goal at the 1

mannc

Anyone else have a problem with DJ kicking a field goal on 4th and goal at the 1 yard line on the first drive of the game?

I have a major problem with it. First, if you can't score from there, you really don't deserve to win anyway. This was not exactly the Steel Curtain we were facing. Second, the failure to go for it there (especially on the road, and especially after the Dolphins marched the length of the field for a TD on their first possession) sends a negative message to your team: "We don't have much confidence in you. We're just trying not to lose here." That seems to be a typical Bills mind-set these past 15 years or so. One thing that I have always admired about Belichick's and Parcells's teams is that they almost always go for it one fourth and short in the other team's end of the field (especially on fourth and goal from inside the 3 yard line), and they almost always succeed. By contrast, the Bills (and most other losing franchises that are more worried about being second-guessed) seldom do. Finally, even if you go for it and don't make it, the other team has to go 99 yards; there is a very good chance you will get the ball back inside mid-field.

Oh yeah, and didn't we draft a wide receiver in the second round with the expressed purpose of having him haul in short passes in the red zone in situations like that (not to mention on second or third down)?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else have a problem with DJ kicking a field goal on 4th and goal at the 1 yard line on the first drive of the game?

I have a major problem with it. First, if you can't score from there, you really don't deserve to win anyway. This was not exactly the Steel Curtain we were facing. Second, the failure to go for it there (especially on the road, and especially after the Dolphins marched the length of the field for a TD on their first possession) sends a negative message to your team: "We don't have much confidence in you. We're just trying not to lose here." That seems to be a typical Bills mind-set these past 15 years or so. One thing that I have always admired about Belichick's and Parcells's teams is that they almost always go for it one fourth and short in the other team's end of the field (especially on fourth and goal from inside the 3 yard line), and they almost always succeed. By contrast, the Bills (and most other losing franchises that are more worried about being second-guessed) seldom do. Finally, even if you go for it and don't make it, the other team has to go 99 yards; there is a very good chance you will get the ball back inside mid-field.

Oh yeah, and didn't we draft a wide receiver in the second round with the expressed purpose of having him haul in short passes in the red zone in situations like that (not to mention on second or third down)?

Jauron takes the odds EVERY TIME. An up for grabs lob to our WR is not a high percentage play on fourth day. In any situation, Jauron takes the odds.

In the first quarter, on your first drive, you take the points.

If you're looking for a coach who makes ballsy calls, you've got to find a new team to root for.

You have a problem with that? I have three problems with that.

1. Trent drove us all the way down there, and then they run three straight plays with Fred. Should've been Marshawn.

2. We should have thrown on at least one of the plays. I would have liked to have seen Trent roll out right and toss one to the TE.

3. 4th and 1 on the 1. Should've gone for it. Too conservative on Jauron's part. Because if we get it, 7 points, and if not not Miami's pinned on their 1, possibly a safety which is only one point less than a FG, plus we get the ball back.

Jauron takes the odds EVERY TIME. An up for grabs lob to our WR is not a high percentage play on fourth day. In any situation, Jauron takes the odds.

In the first quarter, on your first drive, you take the points.

If you're looking for a coach who makes ballsy calls, you've got to find a new team to root for.

My point is, kicking the field goal is not taking the odds. You have (or should have) a better than 3 in 7 chance of scoring a TD from the 1. And if you don't make it, the other team starts on their own half yard line. Timid is not necessarily smart.

No, that was the right call.

But I did have a problem with 3 straight runs prior to that when a) Lynch wasn't in the game and b) the Bills had the Felon's pass D on their heels that entire drive.

First, if you can't score from there, you really don't deserve to win anyway.

I HATE that argument. It doesn't make sense. Coaches work all week on a game plan. They believed that what they put together would be sufficient to make enough stops on the Dolphins offense, despite their opening drive TD. And Jauron was right. That would have been the right call if we didn't fall apart in the fourth quarter.

I would've liked to see Marshawn run it off left tackle on fourth and 1, but the coaches devise a game plan for a reason. Taking the sure thing there was part of their plan.

I didn't really have a problem with it either. There's a good point to be made on both sides of that argument.

My gut said go for it, but with 5 min left in the 1st quarter I gotta believe you take the points too. Plus, probably DJ figured why give the Dolphins and the crowd a reason to get fired up if they don't make it.

DJ doesn't have his team go through the emotional highs and lows of going for broke and hitting or missing on their chance, but they DO usually apply a steady forceful pressure all game that keeps them in it and gives them a chance at the end.

No, that was the right call.

But I did have a problem with 3 straight runs prior to that when a) Lynch wasn't in the game and b) the Bills had the Felon's pass D on their heels that entire drive.

Especially running up the gut every time. How about a pitch out or at least SOMETHING/ANYTHING different?

While I didn't agree with the call it didn't end up costing them the game. I think it's more like a symptom of that "safe" thinking that I think holds back the Bills from reaching their true potential. We haven't seen much of that safe thinking this year and the team just seemed to play looser and take more chances out there. What happened to the balls on special team after the Seattle game? Following that game teams would have thought they'd have to be prepared for ANYTHING. Lately not so much.

On the road, you take the points. We we're able to go ahead on 2 drives because of those 3 points being there.

That being said, I still believe that FG's are crutches that weak teams use to keep it close & our red zone production has left something to be desired the past so many weeks.

On the road, you take the points. We we're able to go ahead on 2 drives because of those 3 points being there.

That being said, I still believe that FG's are crutches that weak teams use to keep it close & our red zone production has left something to be desired the past so many weeks.

On the other hand, if we went for it and scored, the game would have been tied in the fourth quarter, before the safety was surrendered, and we would have trailed by less than one score late in the fourth, instead of needing a TD and an on-side kick. And, of course, if we went for it and failed, the Dolphins would have begun their drive from their own half-yard line, which could have resulted in the Bills getting a safety or excellent field position on the next possession.

On the other hand, if we went for it and scored, the game would have been tied in the fourth quarter, before the safety was surrendered, and we would have trailed by less than one score late in the fourth, instead of needing a TD and an on-side kick. And, of course, if we went for it and failed, the Dolphins would have begun their drive from their own half-yard line, which could have resulted in the Bills getting a safety or excellent field position on the next possession.

that's a lot of 'if's' in a game decided by the crazy bounces of the ball....that we would have held them and/or gotten a safety, and/or we would have gotten points off of said field position, and/or the the game would have played out exaclty the same way thereafter....

i have enough problem trying to get my arms around the crappy sh6t that actually did happen, so it must be tough being in your head. i agree that we should have tried somethig other than that which didn't work three times in a row, and with lynch being on the field. still----still, if we disagree with the play calling, if we disagree with who was on the field---we start the 3rd quarter with a very nice drive and go up by 9. with our fourth quarter play thus far this year, and noting only 1 drive for a touchdown up to that point for miami---you gotta feel good about your chances. fate is a fickle mistress...

any coach, ANY COACH, who doesnt take the points on the opening drive of a hard fought divisional game, will probably end up canned at year's end.

i hate kicking field goals. hate it. but in that situation, that early in the game, you take the 3.

i DO agree with running it 3 times. if this was 5 years ago, we'd all be screaming about "Why doesnt Mularky just line his guys up and pound the rock 3 times?!?! why roll out and risk taking a sack?!?! Run 3 times and if we dont get it, take the 3!!!"

we just needed better execution from our players. Miami wanted this game more. maybe the problem is with all the youngin's on the team, they dont realize how big of a rivalry this is... <_<