I have a stupid question... need a answer...

gizmo6824

Can the team use the franchise tag on a unrestricted free agent or does it have to be only a restricted free agent.

Just curious, some one told me that the bills would franchise losman after the season and i wasnt sure that, that was even a possability....does anyone know so that i can clarify to him.... thanks

Can the team use the franchise tag on a unrestricted free agent or does it have to be only a restricted free agent.

Just curious, some one told me that the bills would franchise losman after the season and i wasnt sure that, that was even a possability....does anyone know so that i can clarify to him.... thanks

HAHA :thumbsup: Franchise Losman! Good one.

HAHA :thumbsup: Franchise Losman! Good one.

ohhh i hear ya, but my buddy was try'n to tell me we were gonna do that to try and get somethin out of him. i told my friend that time had come and gone. but he seems to think they can still franchise him...

ohhh i hear ya, but my buddy was try'n to tell me we were gonna do that to try and get somethin out of him. i told my friend that time had come and gone. but he seems to think they can still franchise him...

Besides i realy dont think we would wanna take the chance of getting stuck with him for such a high salary for one year if we cant move him....my friend is smokin some serious crack....

I am one of the few that think JP may end up being a decent NFL QB, someday. Even with that said, there is NO WAY you franchise a #2 QB (any #2 QB). To franchise a player, you have to pay the average of the top 5 players at that position (I believe). Who is going to pay a QB, any QB...JP Losman, that kind of money? Your friend needs a check up.

I am one of the few that think JP may end up being a decent NFL QB, someday. Even with that said, there is NO WAY you franchise a #2 QB (any #2 QB). To franchise a player, you have to pay the average of the top 5 players at that position (I believe). Who is going to pay a QB, any QB...JP Losman, that kind of money? Your friend needs a check up.

Yeah. Franchising a back-up QB defeats the purpose of the franchise tag.

Exactly. Unless we franchise Hamdan...... :thumbsup:

I think it's usually used on an unrestricted free agent; there's not as much need to franchise a restricted free agent since you can match any offer they may receive anyway. Is it going to happen? No way in hell.

Take a long hard look at Eli manning and the amount of time it took for him to develop properly. JP was drafted the same year as Eli but hasn't played nearly as much. The Giants gave Eli a ton of time to develop.Even when he threw 3 interceptions in a game they never thought of pulling him. The Giants have one of the best if not the best O-lines in pro football and they have a great running game.Eli still stunk it up a lot last year. He didn't start clicking until the playoffs.So basically 3 +years to develop on a playoff caliber team. (The NY Giants made the playoffs his first year starting )The one knock on Eli during his first full season was his efficiency. Even though the Giants finished at the top of the NFC East, Manning himself struggled during his first full year as starting quarterback. Eli completed just 52.8% of his passes with a modest 6.8 yards per attempt, producing an unimpressive quarterback efficiency rating of 75.9 (23rd in the league), leading many sports commentators to question his abilities. Manning visibly wore down late in the season. His play fell off, culminating in a poor performance in the playoffs against Carolina.

Now consider the changes that JP has gone through. Different head coaches,different OC's,different schemes,way less playing time.The thing with this Bills coaching staff is they are relying on a very young QB to win games for them,plain and simple it shouldn't be on the QB's shoulders,Not with the amount of money spent on the O-line and two excellent running backs the Bills have in Lynch and Jackson.

To quote Marv,it usually takes 3-5 years for a new QB to learn to read defenses properly.JP has an above avg arm and mobility,he has all the physical tools and more to be an elite QB. His problems are all mental,reading defenses and finding the open receiver. But then that's the problem with 90% of the QB's that don't make it in the NFL.(like Joey Harrington:et al)The thing is JP still has time to develop properly.putting him in the proper system like Chicago or Baltimore,NY Giants,even Tennessee that will run to set up the pass he could be a very good QB,just like Eli Manning.

Arron Rodgers sat behind Bett Farve for four years,they brought him along slowly. Which is what should happen with most new QB's. Problem is most teams can't wait that long and throw their new QB into the fire and expect him to win.

Look at the Arizona game,go ahead blame JP for the loss.But If the Bills were able to run block properly they would have won that game.

That said,Trent Edwards is a supremely talented and gifted QB. I only hope and prey he will last the season on a team that makes him win games for them .

Why would we franchise our backup QB? That mean if no one takes a deal in which he would be payed in the top 5 for quarterbacks next year, we would have to pay him that no thanks really dumb idea

Besides i realy dont think we would wanna take the chance of getting stuck with him for such a high salary for one year if we cant move him....my friend is smokin some serious crack....

Well if JP doesnt sign the offer sheet.... which would be retatrted for him 12 million to ride the pine sure we could remove the tag and let him walk but lets not do that

Quit rippin on the kid. His question was whether or not unrestricted FA's can be franchised or not. :thumbsup:

The tag is only ever used on unrestricted FA's. The Bills could franchise him and then hope to get some draft picks or a draft pick from another team for him but that's not going to happen. It will be a good thing for both parties to let JP walk at the end of the season.

JP was greatly mishandled as a Bill. He can become a good QB with another team that can make an offense that will fit his abilities and not try to jam him into an offense he's not going to shine in. Losman can be an above average QB in the NFL. IMO, he can be a QB that won't lose games for a team but will win games for them erratically. Losman gets to ancy when his team is down by 10 points or more. If he can calm down on the field and show better leadership he might be great but I will be very surprised if he ever makes the pro-bowl.

TE has a much bigger upside and may not have the all out athleticism that JP has but he is a lot calmer in the game and is a much smarter player. A QB's demeanor translates to the entire team and I believe that TE's command of the team is lends itself to a better winning attitude for the team.

JP is a great human being and has mad skills for a QB but as Crash Davis told Nuke, he's got a million dollar arm and a ten cent head.

Quit rippin on the kid. His question was whether or not unrestricted FA's can be franchised or not. :beer:

The tag is only ever used on unrestricted FA's. The Bills could franchise him and then hope to get some draft picks or a draft pick from another team for him but that's not going to happen. It will be a good thing for both parties to let JP walk at the end of the season.

JP was greatly mishandled as a Bill. He can become a good QB with another team that can make an offense that will fit his abilities and not try to jam him into an offense he's not going to shine in. Losman can be an above average QB in the NFL. IMO, he can be a QB that won't lose games for a team but will win games for them erratically. Losman gets to ancy when his team is down by 10 points or more. If he can calm down on the field and show better leadership he might be great but I will be very surprised if he ever makes the pro-bowl.

TE has a much bigger upside and may not have the all out athleticism that JP has but he is a lot calmer in the game and is a much smarter player. A QB's demeanor translates to the entire team and I believe that TE's command of the team is lends itself to a better winning attitude for the team.

JP is a great human being and has mad skills for a QB but as Crash Davis told Nuke, he's got a million dollar arm and a ten cent head.

thanks to steely dan, the dean and everyone else, thats exactly what i thought and just wanted to confirm .before i opened a can on him today.... did i forget to mention my buddy is a dolphins fan, ohhh this day is gonna be so much fun....

thanks to steely dan, the dean and everyone else, thats exactly what i thought and just wanted to confirm .before i opened a can on him today.... did i forget to mention my buddy is a dolphins fan, ohhh this day is gonna be so much fun....

The dolphins fan in my suite really wanted to go home this weekend kinda odd really :beer: