John McCargo

bills_red

Juat a thought about the whole "didn't pass the physical" deal: Do you think a team uses that as a safety valve? For instance: Let's say that McCargo shows up in Indy and has a terrible interview. He shows a bad attitude and the team figures he's a bad fit. Do they then "fail" him to get the pick back?

Also, could Indy figure that there's no way the Bills keep him after he's sent back so why not get him on waivers and keep the draft pick? If that's the case the NFL should make it a rule that if you void a trade you can't claim that player if they are waived.

Sounds like an interesting guess. Another i entertained is that, perhaps the Indy coaching staff saw something on film they thought they could correct, or improve with McCargo. Maybe their doctors told them, a reason he might not be able to consistently do "X" might be related to that bulging disk. He may not be in great pain, or notice it much most of the time, but it could impact his ability to do that particular thing (that they feel needs doing).

But, my guess is they saw a guy that, because of the disk issue, could be damaged goods at any time, and they didn't want to give a 4th rounder for that.

Praise where praise is due, criticism where criticism is due. In my case, it's criticism. I was CERTAIN McCargo would be given an injury release a couple of days ago. I'm still scratching my head that he's with the team. Which makes me.....oh, wait a minute. It makes me just-another-internet-blogger.

This all having been said, okay, he's with the team. I love a happy ending. If they're going to keep him, I'd love to see the kid get out there this weekend and break some bones. Wouldn't THAT be something? I don't pretend to know whether the guy is motivated or not, but I can tell you how the attempted trade would affect ME.

I'd get out there and send someone off the field on a cart. Not because I'd give a schit about Ralph Wilson, Buffalo or TBD, but because I want someone to get me the hell out of here!

It is interesting that McCargo is back after the failed trade just like nothing ever happened.

One might think that the trade was made because

• He was becoming a problem/distraction
  • He was demanding a trade and refusing to play or practice
  • They had an upgrade/replacement all ready to sign and bring aboard
  • Any or all of the above

It's sort of befuddling that this trade happened and un-happened like it did.

It makes no sense to cut him. There are two much better options.

1.) He plays his ass off because maybe there is some new sort of motivation.

2.) He is the same player he has been, and the Bills don't want him as a distraction for the rest of the season, so they put him on IR where he can disappear, and they try and trade him in the offseason.

Cutting him would be retarded.

It is interesting that McCargo is back after the failed trade just like nothing ever happened.

One might think that the trade was made because

• He was becoming a problem/distraction
  • He was demanding a trade and refusing to play or practice
  • They had an upgrade/replacement all ready to sign and bring aboard
  • Any or all of the above

It's sort of befuddling that this trade happened and un-happened like it did.

where do get this stuff?

He wasn't contributing on a regular basis, the coaches tried to motivate him and it didn't work. So, trade him and get some value for a former #1 pick. There's no mystery there.

The Bills had a taker in Indy, but he failed his physical based on something that isn't always painful or clear on an x-ray. Also, he failed the Colts physical and passed the Bills version after the trade fell through. The Bills own his rights and can no longer trade him, so rather than release him and get nothing, it's pretty obvious they'll hold on to him in the hopes that he gets it and/or they get a new trading partner in the off season.

none of the above...

where do get this stuff?

He wasn't contributing on a regular basis, the coaches tried to motivate him and it didn't work. So, trade him and get some value for a former #1 pick. There's no mystery there.

You obviously don't understand the question. Yes, an idiot can understand that the definition of a trade is an exchange between parties of things they value. The Bills exchanged their rights to McCargo to Indy for an undisclosed draft pick. The question is not whether or not they made a trade or whether or not they are happy with McCargo's production. The answers to those questions are obvious to everyone.

The question is that the trade should be evaluated in both a short and long term context. In the longer term, the Bills would have received a draft pick. Again, no brainer, stupid obvious stuff.

In the short term, what was the plan? Why dump McCargo? How does that improve the Buffalo Bills football team right this fuggin instant? Is he such a fug up that they are better without him? Did they have a plan to bring in somone else? Did they even fuggin have a plan for the short term? McCargo may be a backup and an underachiever, but he did make the 53 man roster and in the event someone goes down, he would be forced into a contributing role. Trading him with no plan on how to replace him with anything other than hot air isn't a plan.

A bulging disc is a very grey area. If we did an MRI on everyone on this list, I'd bet 50% of the folks over 30 would have some (or many) "bulging discs." This is really a non issue unless the disc becomes focally larger (i.e., a "protrusion") or the bulge itself starts to block some of the nerve roots or causes pain. From what I understand, he had no motor muscle weakness and no pain. In that sense, the bulging disc diagnosis is fairly useless unless its a huge bulge without symptoms in which case they may be worried about it getting worse.

This brings up two points:

1) Maybe Indy did use this as an excuse

2) Maybe McCargo has been limited by pain and has not really told anyone.

Second unrelated question. How do we know that McCargo was "unmotivated?" It seems everyone has just taken that as a fact. Minus an offhand vague comment from the D-line coach, what evidence has there been that he's not working hard? I ask more out of curiosity. It seems if you aren't Edwards, Denney, or Kelsay, you are never heard on Buffalo radio/newspapers. Has McCargo said anything to lead people to believe he is unmovitated? Have people watched him in practice to see this? He looked pretty damn motivated for his previous 2-3 yrs to me. What changed this offseason?

In the short term, what was the plan? Why dump McCargo? How does that improve the Buffalo Bills football team right this fuggin instant? Is he such a fug up that they are better without him? Did they have a plan to bring in somone else? Did they even fuggin have a plan for the short term? McCargo may be a backup and an underachiever, but he did make the 53 man roster and in the event someone goes down, he would be forced into a contributing role. Trading him with no plan on how to replace him with anything other than hot air isn't a plan.

Since there was no other announcement and the trade deadline past, the short term showed nothing else. If there were some free agent DL, they could've signed him anyways and deactivated JMC. So there was no plan, other than probably Corey Mace.

It's not that he's so bad that they're better off with him. They gave up on JMC and would've taken the draft choice and written him off. Bill Kollar (to me) seems like a really good coach, and I yield to him and the other coaches about depth.

Now he's back from the dead, since it's release him and get nothing, see if the light turned on, or back to no worse than they started - they're likely going for the latter.

It makes no sense to cut him. There are two much better options.

1.) He plays his ass off because maybe there is some new sort of motivation.

2.) He is the same player he has been, and the Bills don't want him as a distraction for the rest of the season, so they put him on IR where he can disappear, and they try and trade him in the offseason.

Cutting him would be retarded.

Yeh, I agree completely with your assessment. The bills should try and make the best of the lousy situation.

It's not that he's so bad that they're better off with him.
I assume that you mean "without him".

There are 3 possibilities here if they considered the short term. Either they thought they'd be better off without him, they'd be about the same without him, or they'd be a worse team without him. The other possibility is that they didn't think about the short term impact much at all.

They gave up on JMC and would've taken the draft choice and written him off. Bill Kollar (to me) seems like a really good coach, and I yield to him and the other coaches about depth.

Now the Bills only have 4 DTs on the roster to start. Stroud has spent significant time in the hot tub in recent years. If he or Williams got dinged, the Bills would have 0 depth in their 4-3 defense without McCargo. It's OK to think Kollar is a good coach, but unless he's going to pull a Wade Phillips and change the entire defense overnight, the lack of depth could be a major blunder for a team that is trying to make a playoff run.

You obviously don't understand the question. Yes, an idiot can understand that the definition of a trade is an exchange between parties of things they value. The Bills exchanged their rights to McCargo to Indy for an undisclosed draft pick. The question is not whether or not they made a trade or whether or not they are happy with McCargo's production. The answers to those questions are obvious to everyone.

The question is that the trade should be evaluated in both a short and long term context. In the longer term, the Bills would have received a draft pick. Again, no brainer, stupid obvious stuff.

Do you really think the Bills were going to not sign or promote anyone to the 53 man roster after the trade? Because if you don't, that's called a plan. Just because you weren't aware of what the next step was, doesn't mean one didn't exist.

Do you really think the Bills were going to not sign or promote anyone to the 53 man roster after the trade? Because if you don't, that's called a plan. Just because you weren't aware of what the next step was, doesn't mean one didn't exist.

I would've expected the Bills would've had someone ready to sign immediately after they dealt McCargo.