McCargo's back ... (UPDATED)

silvermike

So what do youse guys & gals think?

1) Bills knew of McC's problem and hoped it flew under Indy's radar?

2) Bills didn't know of the injury due to their oversight?

3) McCargo hid problem / didn't know about it?

I don't know what to think at this point.

the bills knew all about it - he was listed on the injury report earlier this season

http://www.nfl.com/injuries?team=BUF

they obviously didn't think it was that big a deal........indy did, which is their choice - that's why they have physicals

we might see more of mccargo, we might not, but he's obviously been playing with the injury so wouldn't be shocking to see him continue to do so

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not only back, he's practicing today.

This should be interesting.

Maybe this could be the wake-up call that turns his career around? Yah know kind of like the wife kickin' you out.(not that it's happened to me).

GO BILLS!

Any chance at all that we can parlay the half-eaten KitKat into a lower round pick from Indy?

It can't mean THAT much to The Bills to get it back. It's bad enough they threw McCargo back at us.

If they keep the damn half-eaten KitKat we should at least get a 6th or 7th in return.

Really, it all depends on exactly how the KitKat bar was eaten. If it was cleanly broken down the middle, leaving one good half, it would be worth quite a bit. Scott Pioli is know to be quite fond of KitKats, and I suspect he might be willing to trade a disgruntled Randy Moss for one and a late round pick. Imagine how that would open things up for our offense!

However, if McCargo simply took a big ol' bite out of the thing, leaving tooth marks and God knows what else, all bets are off. In that case we'd be lucky if Indy didn't sue us for attempted food poisoning.

How can you fail a physical yesterday and practice today?

Is Dr. Reep's spinal decompression chamber that good?

Who looks worse?

1) The Bills for trading a guy who has barely played all year for a 4th and ending up having the guy sent back, or

2) The Colts for saying the guy failed a physical only to have him practice the next day. (Remember, the Colts overpaid because they are desperate for DT help)

Who looks worse?

1) The Bills for trading a guy who has been inactive all year for a 4th and ending up having the guy sent back, or

2) The Colts for saying the guy failed a physical only to have him practice the next day. (Remember, the Colts overpaid because they are desperate for DT help)

he was inactive for one game, dressed for four

Maybe the bulging disc has caused him to suck so bad.

Depends how bad/ to what degree its herniated. I'm about McCargo's age (I'm 25) and a little over two years I completely ruptured the disc in between my L1-L2 vertabrae.......worst pain ever and it required immediate surgery. Gives me chills everytime I think about it. Thats an injury that could def. effect his play, hell it might even be hard to get in a three point stance with a bad disc.

If all TBD posters had MRIs of their lumbar spine you would find a good amount of "bulging disks" in posters who had no back problems.

A bulging disk is only a problem if is bulging on a nerve root which causes pain and inflammation. You would think the Bills staff would know about this if it were the case.

The disk is in no way related to the heart, or absence of heart, as is the case with McCargo.

He won't be back in a Bills uniform because they don't want him, not because of his back, despite what the front office may say.

RTB

This is an excellent post. It is very strange that this was found now. People do not get "routine" MRIs of the spine unless they are having symptoms. You cannot see a disc herniation on plain x-ray and CT. The reason routine MRIs are not done, as Promo points out, is that a lot of us would have disc herniations. They mean nothing unless they are cause symptoms; pin/needle in legs, urinary/bowel incontinence, lower extremity weakness, or radiculopathy (shooting pains down legs due to herniation pressing against a lower extremity nerve).

Therefore, there must have been some symptom(s) he was having. He reports the symptom to the Colts, then they get an MRI, then he is sent back here. Why didn't the Bills know about this? Either he was hiding the symptoms from Bills or the Bills knew about it and have already done their own MRI. Or, this is all smoke screen and there is something totally different wrong.

Either way, its hard to tell if the herniated disc is really having a huge impact on his play. If it was, he could have easily had this surgically corrected. And even without surgery, depending on the severity, most of these injuries tend to self-resolve over weeks to months. As Promo points out, it's not his back, it's his heart.

This is an excellent post. It is very strange that this was found now. People do not get "routine" MRIs of the spine unless they are having symptoms. You cannot see a disc herniation on plain x-ray and CT. The reason routine MRIs are not done, as Promo points out, is that a lot of us would have disc herniations. They mean nothing unless they are cause symptoms; pin/needle in legs, urinary/bowel incontinence, lower extremity weakness, or radiculopathy (shooting pains down legs due to herniation pressing against a lower extremity nerve).

Therefore, there must have been some symptom(s) he was having. He reports the symptom to the Colts, then they get an MRI, then he is sent back here. Why didn't the Bills know about this? Either he was hiding the symptoms from Bills or the Bills knew about it and have already done their own MRI. Or, this is all smoke screen and there is something totally different wrong.

Either way, its hard to tell if the herniated disc is really having a huge impact on his play. If it was, he could have easily had this surgically corrected. And even without surgery, depending on the severity, most of these injuries tend to self-resolve over weeks to months. As Promo points out, it's not his back, it's his heart.

he was listed on the bills injury report in week 2........it's not like they were trying to hide anything

Who looks worse?

1) The Bills for trading a guy who has barely played all year for a 4th and ending up having the guy sent back, or

While he was in the air flying to Indy someone brought the films of him to Bill Polian. (In my best David Byrne) "My God what have I done!" Polian immediately called the doctor and said find some reason to fail him! While doing the physical the doctor found he didn't have a heart but nobody would believe that so he made it a bulging disk.

Maybe it will be a wakeup call for him. But isn't a bulging disc painful and doesn't it hinder your play? If he has that injury, why is he practicing?

It sounds like (though without the medical detail it is impossible to say for sure) that there is a potentially straightforward difference in medical philosophy or opinion between the Indy docs and the Bills docs.

For example, both medical staffs might agree that McCargo likely will not do any more damage to himself simply by playing and practicing (even players with "normal" medical check-ups are at risk from being hurt by a hit that goes a particular way0, but both medical staffs can agree that McCargo does not face any extraordinary increased risk from practice or play. However, the medical philosphy in Buffalo may be to suggest the player invest in heavy physical therapy to solve the problem and they might judge McCargo won't do that and were happy to part with him even though he is able to perform.

On the other hand, maybe the Indy docs upon looking at his case more exhaustively suggested that surgery is the best way to go but if they did this his recovery time would involve a year off they were not willing to pay for as it would also move him a year closer to FA and all they get is to pay for his rehab.

Or there may even be some third option that McCargo wishes to pursue that neither team agrees with.

At any rate, many refer to it is the Medical "Arts" rather than simply medical science because three people can look at the exact same measurements and readout on a case and legitimately come up with four different approaches to moving forward.

McCargp could easily be judged not to do himself any greater risk of damage by practicing and playing but there could still be a medical reason for the trade to be voided.

This is an example of why a second opinion is often a good thing to do.