McCargo's back ... (UPDATED)

silvermike

It is a rumour mill, but PFT is usually pretty good. But yeah, I'll wait for something more definitive before I discuss. I actually hope it's true because I wasn't ready to give up on McCargo and a 4th is poor compensation for a guy we invested a 6th in. He showed flashes, with some work and polish he can thrive. Besides, if the bad disc in his back thing is true, it could explain a lot.

Sorry to inform you, but McCargo has been given up on by the Bills. NO WAY he ever puts a Bills uniform on again, if he does have a disk problem, he will get an injury settlement and released.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to inform you, but McCargo has been given up on by the Bills. NO WAY he ever puts a Bills uniform on again, if he does have a disk problem, he will get an injury settlement and released.

That'd be my guess.

Who is your source within the Bills?

Who is your source within the Bills?

Just the facts, just the facts...

He has been publicly called out by his position coach, a former first rounder* traded (cut my losses and dumped) for a 4th round pick, hasn't played very much this year. Oh, and by the way, what has he done in his career?

*Whom many thought would still be available in the 3rd round.

Just the facts, just the facts...

He has been publicly called out by his position coach, a former first rounder* traded (cut my losses and dumped) for a 4th round pick, hasn't played very much this year. Oh, and by the way, what has he done in his career?

*Whom many thought would still be available in the 3rd round.

I think the injury changes the dynamic, but not the likely outcome. Kollar can certainly acknowledge that he was unaware that McCargo was injured. Hell, he could use it to do a 180 and praise him for trying, and giving it his all despite disk damage.

Realistically, though, I think McCargo is likely finished with the Bills, either because of what you state, or simply because he is injured and the Bills won't want to keep him on the roster, this year. As has been suggested, he is likely to be waived (he will still be paid). I suppose they could put him on IR, but I see that as the least likely alternative.

I think the injury changes the dynamic, but not the likely outcome. Kollar can certainly acknowledge that he was unaware that McCargo was injured. Hell, he could use it to do a 180 and praise him for trying, and giving it his all despite disk damage.

Realistically, though, I think McCargo is likely finished with the Bills, either because of what you state, or simply because he is injured and the Bills won't want to keep him on the roster, this year. As has been suggested, he is likely to be waived (he will still be paid). I suppose they could put him on IR, but I see that as the least likely alternative.

Yep. The sad part, just like Mike Williams, is how a player is selected in the first round and given the rare chance to play in the NFL, and can't seem to seize the moment (as stated by their respective coaches).

Yep. The sad part, just like Mike Williams, is how a player is selected in the first round and given the rare chance to play in the NFL, and can't seem to seize the moment (as stated by their respective coaches).

For sure. But, in McCargo's case injury issues may very well be involved. He showed some early promise, and then had the injury that sidelined him, his first season. If he really does have disk damage, it might not be a case (like Mike Williams) of a guy simply throwing away an opportunity.

I know many here are quick to dismiss the injuries of others, and I find that reprehensible. I tend to give the players the benefit of the doubt, in most cases.

No matter the reason, it sucks that a recent 1st round pick is likely done as a Bills, and the Bills are left w/o compensation. But, the simply fact that he was returned by the team that wanted him (and needed a DT), due to an existing injury suggests that there may be more at play here than simply a lack of talent and/or effort.

This would be the ideal scenario, IMO. I hate the thought of just cutting him loose for nothing.

The problem was a "bulging disk."

Presumably it developed after McCargo became a Bill or the medical staff would have noticed it.

Guys who are being traded away don't get a medical exam. First, it would alert them to a trade before the team would want to do so. Second, what would the team he's leaving gain by giving him an exam? It doesn't make sense.

Also, it would make no sense at all for the Bills to try to trade away a guy who they knew would fail a medical exam. It would be unethical for one thing, create enemies for another, and you know it would have come out sooner or later and probably sooner.

So what almost certainly happened is that McCargo has a bulging disk which is otherwise asymptomatic. That is a very common thing. If he had had pain, he would have told the Bills who would not have tried to trade him. It almost certainly has not yet affected McCargo's play at all, though it would very possibly do so in the future, which is why Indy refused to take him.

Any chance at all that we can parlay the half-eaten KitKat into a lower round pick from Indy?

It can't mean THAT much to The Bills to get it back. It's bad enough they threw McCargo back at us.

If they keep the damn half-eaten KitKat we should at least get a 6th or 7th in return.

No? :(

That's why I hate bundled trades.

If I was a betting man, my money would be on the injury settlement, a quick handshake, and some heart-rending piano solo playing softly in the background as the rain patters down on the hood of John McCargo's luxury SUV while Ralph Wilson Stadium grows ever smaller in the rearview mirror.

The is the dreaded "bulging disc" problem. Perhaps in years past McCargo might have attempted some sort of comeback, or some team desperate (and I'm using that term intentionally) for help in the interior line would have taken a flyer on him. Hell, Indianapolis did before they knew of the injury. Two players come to MY mind when I think of "bulging discs":

Eric Dickerson

Peerless Price

I'm sure the compendium of TBD posters could come up with a lot more. The point is this - think of how long those two players lasted in the league once the announcement was made that they had a bulging disc. About as long as it took to finish the press conference, right? The risks of permanent injury - including quadriplegia - are too great for any front office to risk. Even Jerry Jones or Dot-Com Snyder don't want the cameras focusing in on their luxury suites following a horrific hit resulting in a Kevin-Everett-style moment.

Nice knowing you, John. Hope you invested wisely, and we'll see you soon in a Subway commercial with Jared.

But, in McCargo's case injury issues may very well be involved. He showed some early promise, and then had the injury that sidelined him, his first season. If he really does have disk damage, it might not be a case (like Mike Williams) of a guy simply throwing away an opportunity.

I know many here are quick to dismiss the injuries of others, and I find that reprehensible. I tend to give the players the benefit of the doubt, in most cases.

No matter the reason, it sucks that a recent 1st round pick is likely done as a Bills, and the Bills are left w/o compensation. But, the simply fact that he was returned by the team that wanted him (and needed a DT), due to an existing injury suggests that there may be more at play here than simply a lack of talent and/or effort.

Agreed. He broke his foot in college, then broke it again his rookie year. Then, the Bills doctors had to re-break the foot during his re-hab as it wasn't healing correctly. We all understand how important that first step is from a D-lineman.. Add to all that a bulging disk in his back and it's a wonder the guy can even walk :(

To me, this explains a lot but it still sucks that we traded up to get him..

If all TBD posters had MRIs of their lumbar spine you would find a good amount of "bulging disks" in posters who had no back problems.

A bulging disk is only a problem if is bulging on a nerve root which causes pain and inflammation. You would think the Bills staff would know about this if it were the case.

The disk is in no way related to the heart, or absence of heart, as is the case with McCargo.

He won't be back in a Bills uniform because they don't want him, not because of his back, despite what the front office may say.

RTB

Just curious, but where is the poster who argued that since Bill Polian was making this trade, McCargo was destined to be an All-Pro?

If all TBD posters had MRIs of their lumbar spine you would find a good amount of "bulging disks" in posters who had no back problems.

A bulging disk is only a problem if is bulging on a nerve root which causes pain and inflammation. You would think the Bills staff would know about this if it were the case.

The disk is in no way related to the heart, or absence of heart, as is the case with McCargo.

He won't be back in a Bills uniform because they don't want him, not because of his back, despite what the front office may say.

RTB

So what do youse guys & gals think?

1) Bills knew of McC's problem and hoped it flew under Indy's radar?

2) Bills didn't know of the injury due to their oversight?

3) McCargo hid problem / didn't know about it?

I don't know what to think at this point.

I believe it is 3. McCargo probably was unaware of the severity of the injury and was attempting to play through it. I'm not sure what the recovery time is on a herniated disk but I'd guess he will need a lot of rest before he is able to play full strength again.

So what do youse guys & gals think?

1) Bills knew of McC's problem and hoped it flew under Indy's radar?

2) Bills didn't know of the injury due to their oversight?

3) McCargo hid problem / didn't know about it?

I don't know what to think at this point.

I doubt the Bills did (1) in good faith. I am just surprised that McCargo, the docs and the coaches did not explore the possibility that a medical problem may be preventing him from playing all out. It very well might be that his internal drive is not strong enough. But, wouldn't there be pain due to this medical condition ? And wouldn't McCargo want to find out what it is about ? Forget that he is a professional sports player. Heck, if I had a nagging pain, I would have it checked out. What gives ?

Look, this type of thing has happened dozens of times over the years. It's just an example of people continually trying to throw their crap over the fence into their neighbor's yard. What's the downside - he doesn't pass the physical and the trade is cancelled - or maybe the compensation is adjusted. You've still gotten something from essentially a sunk cost. In this case - McCargo's signing is a sunk cost. Too bad. I thought he had potential, but then again, so does a 9 volt battery.