Schonert and the OL are going to get Edwards killed....

LabattBlue

Edwards had to be having flashbacks to his Stanford days. St. Louis was blitzing almost non-stop and the Bills had no answer for it. No extra blocking help, no screen passes, no rollouts, etc...

You can't just keep sending your QB into the pocket with a 7 step drop and hope he gets the ball away before he gets knocked down AGAIN.

I think our offense is fine. I don't really see that many two stop drops. We do struggle at times but as a group we are young. Do you wanna run another OC out of town? He has been the best in awhile-so no complaints here.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think our offense is fine. I don't really see that many two stop drops. We do struggle at times but as a group we are young. Do you wanna run another OC out of town? He has been the best in awhile-so no complaints here.

Did I say I wanted to run him out of town? WTF! To answer your dumbass question though, if Schonert doesn't devise some blitz pickup schemes that work better than the ones in the first half and/or the OL don't remember how to pass block, Edwards won't be "struggling" as you put it, he'll be on his way to the hospital instead. Then see how good Schonert looks and see if you still have no complaints.

also another thing to worry about w/ edwards, is the almost total non-production the first 3 quarters of the past few games......

Trent has typically spent the first half, and much of the 3rd quarter, lying on his back. I don't care who you have at QB, he's not going to make plays when the offensive line fails as completely as the Bills' line has in the early and middle parts of the game.

We killed Jax with screens. Especially on third down. This game reeked of a game where Turk was trying to get by without showing too much of his offense to keep it off tape for later in the year. We were exceedingly vanilla and we got away with it. It's smart if you can pull it off. Why show everyone the whole arsenal to beat an inferior team?

Part of gameplanning is anticipating what an opponent will do before they do it. The Rams were 0-3 entering that game, and desperate times call for desperate measures. Linehan made a change at QB, and it wasn't out of the question to guess the defense would make some changes after surrendering 116 points in three games.

I admit the Rams played better on defense than I expected. And even though Buffalo adjusted at the half to some degree, what does it take to mix in some calls like a screen pass to keep the defense on its toes? Running between the tackles is difficult, how about a draw play? Perhaps some play action?

It's the regular season already. Holding back in Week 4 is non-sensical and we'll see how creative Turk can be as the season unfolds further.

The first few games Turk was passing more on 1st down and it was working. This last game he has become more run run pass and it's to predictable. Do they have the stats for just the last game?

From play by play on the same website, on first down (including the clock-burning time late), the Bills had 10 first down passes, 14 first down runs. Take out the clock-burning plays (after the Lindell FG), and it's about even.

Trent has typically spent the first half, and much of the 3rd quarter, lying on his back. I don't care who you have at QB, he's not going to make plays when the offensive line fails as completely as the Bills' line has in the early and middle parts of the game.

does he not have the ability to audible into another play? to change protections?

I think Trent addressed this in his post game when he said they kept some extra people in and moved the pocket around in the second half which, given the points we scored, worked pretty well.

Agreed. But it was pretty scary in the first half.

does he not have the ability to audible into another play? to change protections?

Different protections might have solved part of the problem. But a lot of the problem would have remained unsolved: offensive linemen getting cleanly beat, barely slowing down the guys they're supposed to be blocking.

B...bu...but...I thought Peters was the guy that was gonna SAVE Edwards' life - and the Bills hopes - this season :rolleyes:

Isn't that why Russ was supposed to give 'PayMe' all that money without him even showing up for a physical or a day of work before the season started??? :oops:

Peters obviously needs to get into a groove. He has looked absolutely terrible at times and has shown brief flashes of why he was a Pro Bowler last year.

His next game is game 4 of the season, as opposed to game 9 for the rest of the O-line.

Let's hope Peters' "pre-season" ended last week against St.L.

Edwards had to be having flashbacks to his Stanford days. St. Louis was blitzing almost non-stop and the Bills had no answer for it. No extra blocking help, no screen passes, no rollouts, etc...

You can't just keep sending your QB into the pocket with a 7 step drop and hope he gets the ball away before he gets knocked down AGAIN.

i'm sorry but you my friend are totally clueless!!!!!!!!

Did I say I wanted to run him out of town? WTF! To answer your dumbass question though, if Schonert doesn't devise some blitz pickup schemes that work better than the ones in the first half and/or the OL don't remember how to pass block, Edwards won't be "struggling" as you put it, he'll be on his way to the hospital instead. Then see how good Schonert looks and see if you still have no complaints.

Actually, the blocking schemes are Kugler's job, working with the offensive coaching staff as a whole. The blocking scheme that is developed during the week is only partly implemented by the OC. The OLC is the main determiner of how the blocks are made for which plays, and generally the schemes are put in place to enhance the strength of the offensive line. That hasn't happened as much in the first few weeks, but I think that has more to do with Peters not knowing the schemes because he missed so much time during the pre-season.

That being said, I agree with you that the problem lies with the protection, not the playcalling. I find myself more and more frequently saying I liked the playcall rather than finding myself hating the call. I do not agree that the Bills are becoming more predictable, and have seen very few times where the old SF RUN RUN PASS has been called this season. The Bills have a very balanced attack and throw a whole lot on first down. Go back and look at the numbers on first down calls. Buffalo did not pass as much on first down this week, most likely because the Rams' run defense was so bad and they had a plan to get ML going. That did not materialize in the first half, and so we had to throw a lot more in the second half. Many of the first down calls on first down in the second half were pass plays.

From play by play on the same website, on first down (including the clock-burning time late), the Bills had 10 first down passes, 14 first down runs. Take out the clock-burning plays (after the Lindell FG), and it's about even.

Cool thanks for digging that up. It didn't seem that balanced watching it live.

Guest dog14787
Fowler is just terrible. I think Center should be our biggest concern this offseason

You wouldn't be, nawww, or is it, nawww it couldn't be, O.J. is that you? :thumbsup:

Different protections might have solved part of the problem. But a lot of the problem would have remained unsolved: offensive linemen getting cleanly beat, barely slowing down the guys they're supposed to be blocking.

I'm pretty sure there's only a handful of times that an offensive linemen has been cleanly beaten this year, with Peters more than likely being the culprit on several of them.

Agreed. But it was pretty scary in the first half.

Yeah it was. Credit the Rams for coming out with a very aggressive blitz package that we hadn't seen on film and certainly didn't expect. Its nice that we made the adjustments at half time but I have to wonder why it takes a whole half to figure something out. I'd like it better if adjustments could be made more on the fly so that we don't waste so much of the first half.

It is quite the luxury to have to be this picky to find something to worry about, I sure hope it continues.

How's this.

The Rams saw the Raiders blitz the bejesus out of the Bills and it seemed to work.

So they tried to do the same thing. And guess what it didn't work.

Marv said once You live by the Blitz, you can die by the Blitz. Because if the play is made on Offense the defenders are no where to defend the play down field.

I just can't see teams week after week trying to Blitz every down.