Schonert and the OL are going to get Edwards killed....

LabattBlue

Edwards had to be having flashbacks to his Stanford days. St. Louis was blitzing almost non-stop and the Bills had no answer for it. No extra blocking help, no screen passes, no rollouts, etc...

You can't just keep sending your QB into the pocket with a 7 step drop and hope he gets the ball away before he gets knocked down AGAIN.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does our offense not have hot reads? where, when we can clearly see they are bringing 7 rushers, there should be a quick strike to an open receiver.

it was obvious St Louis was going to bring the blitz all day, in their desperation. where was a quick slant strike to reed? where were ANY of the mid-range strikes to reed? it seemed like we had 2 plans: run the ball or go deep. not a great 2 weeks of playcalling from both sides of the ball, but we got the win and ill take them no matter how we got 'em.

BFFKTS, do you take donations? :lol: Seriously though, Trent needs to recognize this himself as well and get it outta there too. Love his 4th quarter savy but the dude has stunk up the joint just a little bit at times during the first half of games this year. They're trying to kill you man but please, hold on to the ball. ;)

BFFKTS, do you take donations? :w00t: Seriously though, Trent needs to recognize this himself as well and get it outta there too. Love his 4th quarter savy but the dude has stunk up the joint just a little bit at times during the first half of games this year. They're trying to kill you man but please, hold on to the ball. :thumbdown:

He also needs to recognize the fact that the ball is on the ground, just cover it up ... don't get up and try to get your knee blown off.

In the big picture, though, these things happen and I'm very pleased with Trent's recognition (even if we don't take into account that he's just started game 13 of his career).

The beating he took yesterday concerns me too.

People state that "it doesn't matter, we're 4-0." While this may be true and I am super happy about it, all it takes is one blown assignment (by Peters) for Trent's season (and the Bills hope) to be over.

B...bu...but...I thought Peters was the guy that was gonna SAVE Edwards' life - and the Bills hopes - this season :thumbdown:

Isn't that why Russ was supposed to give 'PayMe' all that money without him even showing up for a physical or a day of work before the season started??? :w00t:

Isn't Trent smart, meaning he can read defenses and thus know where the blitz is coming from? Isn't he also allowed to audible?

Nothing to base these on but my own observations, but I think we've seen less audibles over the last couple weeks.

I also think that at parts of yesterday's game Trent was coming to the line and checking one side of the defense, then scanning the other side (looking left, then right) but would only check each side once. So he would make his read looking left and once he turned his head the other way, the defense would change the formation a little - usually bringing up a blitzer. He either needs to get some help from his receivers or needs to keep scanning back and forth.

Guest dog14787
I enjoy the wins. Although the play of the team can be analyzed over and over and over I choose to enjoy the win. Too much thinking distracts you from the bottom line...A win. Trent's 9-4 as a starter for crying out loud!

We have to protect better and it has to be a concern if we want to keep TE on the playing field. I blame some of the problems on Jason Peters not being up to speed yet. I'm not so sure screens are going to work very well because we are not spreading the field out enough to begin with and teams are wise to our dink and dunk approach. Shonert realizes that and is trying to counter it the best he can, but until the O-line plays better we will struggle regardless of how many talented athletes we are putting on the field or the playcalling.

Edwards had to be having flashbacks to his Stanford days. St. Louis was blitzing almost non-stop and the Bills had no answer for it. No extra blocking help, no screen passes, no rollouts, etc...

You can't just keep sending your QB into the pocket with a 7 step drop and hope he gets the ball away before he gets knocked down AGAIN.

FWIW, Vic Carucci stated on the postgame show that the Bills want to throw deep on opposing team blitzes making them pay for the extra pressure. I have no idea if his opinion is informed but he made it sound like this was straight from the horses mouth.

Something I think we all have to remember.... Trent is still very inexperienced. He's playing very well, but... he's still not played a full season's worth of games. So, he's going to make a few mistakes, bad reads, etc. during the course of a game and the season.

It should be expected to see opposing defenses throw all sorts of blitz packages and personnel packages at Trent in an attempt to confuse him. I think that's exactly what the Raiders and Rams did. To Trent's (and Schonert's) credit, he fought through it, minimized his mistakes, and made the right adjustments to come out on top in the end.

This season goes as far as Trent will take us, and he's responding wonderfully. Once teams realize they can't win by blitzing and stunting like crazy, the line will look alot better.

Guest dog14787
Something I think we all have to remember.... Trent is still very inexperienced. He's playing very well, but... he's still not played a full season's worth of games. So, he's going to make a few mistakes, bad reads, etc. during the course of a game and the season.

It should be expected to see opposing defenses throw all sorts of blitz packages and personnel packages at Trent in an attempt to confuse him. I think that's exactly what the Raiders and Rams did. To Trent's (and Schonert's) credit, he fought through it, minimized his mistakes, and made the right adjustments to come out on top in the end.

This season goes as far as Trent will take us, and he's responding wonderfully. Once teams realize they can't win by blitzing and stunting like crazy, the line will look alot better.

Good points.